Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-09-2008, 04:06 PM   #1
-Asphyxia-
-loser-

I am currently:
Art Therapy?

Are there any Art Therapists on RYL?

I've considered going back to school for it...I'm currently getting my BFA, and I have a huge interest in psychology...I'm worried that it's too "new-agey," for lack of a better phrase, and I've heard that it's more well received in Europe as opposed to the US (where I am).

I'm curious as to what types of things you actually do in your practice, are you still able to make your *own* art, do you find it fullfilling, what types of people do you work with, etc.

Any input or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

-poisonous-

-Asphyxia- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 04:14 PM   #2
88shelz
be positive

I am currently:

i love art therapy.
i have done in in OT when i was inpatient and i thoroughly enjoyed it and that is comming from me who doesnt have an artistic bone in her body haha.

88shelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 04:33 PM   #3
Stellata

There's no actual art therapists here. But there are people who're in or who have been in art therapy. Or have used art as part of their therapy - as I do. If you look at some of the August entries in my Blog, you'll see some of the kind of work I do. I tend to draw/paint at home, and work with what I've created during my therapy sessions, which aren't art therapy, but my therapist is very open to it.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
sweetsunday

what IS art therapy?

Old 13-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #5
Stellata

Using drawing, painting or such to express and explore your feelings, past, subconscious... it's a vehicle, a bridge of communication between yourself and your therapist, and yourself and yourself.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 05:30 PM   #6
Popple

I know there are a couple of members on here at least who are training to be art therapists but for the life of me I can't remember their usernames but I know one of them posted about it in creative corner a few months ago so yeah not much use really.
I want to train as an art therapist but it means moving away from home so I am going to train as an art teacher instead >.<

You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.

Popple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 07:43 PM   #7
whirlpools

I'm not an art therapist but am very interested in becoming an art therapist later in life. I think in England you can either do your degree in Art Psychotherapy or do a degree in Art & Design and then a PostGrad in Art Psychotherapy. When I had art therapy as a patient, it was in group-work, and there were two-three therapists/art therapy students who did their own work along with the rest of the group, but the main art therapist sort of observed the whole process.

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 07:55 PM   #8
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

I've done a lot of art therapy in different hospitals I was in. It really helped me to articulate my feelings in a different, but very visual way.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)