RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 12-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #21
The Hierophant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi Tiger View Post
Oh I agree that Latin can be valuable, but frankly only the privately schooled learn it, so in effect state school pupils are having their choice restricted more than the rich and private schools are pushed up the league tables artificially.
I went to state school & i learnt Latin.
I was going to take it as a GCSE until I left school

The Hierophant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #22
Athiri
Perpetually Lost.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoverity View Post
Sarkozy joins other leaders

Multiculturalism has failed, says French president

PARIS (AFP) President Sarkozy declared Thursday that multiculturalism had failed, joining a growing number of world leaders or ex-leaders who have condemned it.
"My answer is clearly yes, it is a failure," he said in a television interview when asked about the policy which advocates that host societies welcome and foster distinct cultural and religious immigrant groups.

"Of course we must all respect differences, but we do not want... a society where communities coexist side by side.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110210...20110210231042

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Who View Post
That's not really surprising coming from the French though, they've never embraced it.

Yeah I think we all gathered that after the Burqa ban.

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Athiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #23
Athiri
Perpetually Lost.

I am currently:

'Sarkozy said in his television interview Thursday that "our Muslim compatriots must be able to practise their religion, as any citizen can," but he noted "we in France do not want people to pray in an ostentatious way in the street."'

You guys can do what you like, but none of that praying to Mecca stuff yeah?

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Athiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 06:22 AM   #24
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Who View Post
That's not really surprising coming from the French though, they've never embraced it.
Since it was Muslim "youths" who set fire to France for 2 months back in 2005 hopefully they don't embrace it.

Keep in mind France also blocked US films (I dont blame them) to protect their culture and the same uproar didn't follow (and US film makers didn't set fire to France)

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #25
The One Who

I am currently:

My understanding of the riots was that it had very little to do with religion at all. A whole lot more to do with possible police profiling and brutality, as well as spreading outwards towards the poverty-striken underclass who make their lives in the Parisian outskirts and the poorest areas of other French cities who were trying to raise awareness of their social situations.

France is an extreme of the monoculturalist viewpoint, and the UK will not, and cannot follow in their footsteps.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)