RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 18-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
sherbet lemon

I am currently:
New Job but slightly worried

Hey i wasnt really sure where to put this!!

ive a new job as a care assistant in a nursing home, i havent cut for 5weeks 6 on friday :D. but my arms are heavily scarred and im not sure what to do about it really. should i say to the manager and ask if i can wear long sleeves under my uniform?! my friend says i should just wear them anyway but im not sure!!! i am working on showing my arms in public as i want to become a nurse but they are quite bad!! :/

thanks for any replies and sorry if this isnt in the right place
catherine

sherbet lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
Untouchable

I am currently:

Hiya,

Well done on not cutting for so long, that is brilliant!

You might not like my answer tho....

I am a nursing student and work in a nursing home too, so I am faced with a similar problem. However, you are going into a profession where you need to think of others too.

Sleeves are a massive infection control issue, as is wearing jewlery. Bare below the elbows is policy not only being followed by the NHS but also being used in private care homes too. It is a big thing for the care commisson just now...

You can't wash your hands and wrists properly when you have longsleeves. You can push them up, but then you are touching them with 'dirty hands' and they will fall down when you are assistanting in personal care (just as sure that you will get an itchy nose lol).

If the nursing home does let you wear sleeves, if you go on to study nursing, it will not be allowed at all.

You will find that, depending on what the nursing home is like, you will be busy and probably won't have time to think about your arms.

I know it is scary - I was bricking it! 99% of people at my work have never said anything to me about it (I have been working in care for 4 years now, and in my 2nd year as a student). And the small minority of people who did notice - up to you if you tell them or not. I just shurg them off and say I fell throw a window when I was younger (true story :p ).

Hope this helps, and good luck!

x

Untouchable is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)