RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2007, 11:10 PM   #1
KarmaJunkie
All Heart No Brain

I am currently:
"UK population of 70 million by 2031"

according to "the Office for National Statistics" the UK population will increase from 60.6 million (from mid 2006) to 65 million (by 2016) and 70 million (by 2031)

Statisticians are putting this down to "70 per cent of the population rise over the next 20 years will be attributable directly to immigration. "

i was hoping to open up the debate about optimum population what you feel is responsible in the sharp increase of population and how the country will/ can cope with a population of this size

"if you want to be one of the non conformists you have to dress just like us and listen to the same music we do" - South Park

"Perfection isn't somthing you can Become it is somthing you lose" - Karma Junkie

"Seek not happiness too greedily, and be not fearful of unhappiness." Lao Tzu

KarmaJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:35 AM   #2
Fightstarter_Karaoke
This Member is currently Banned

I am currently:

It doesn't bother me a great deal.
I think if Britain ever does reach a point where it can no longer accept any new migrants, we will simply stop receiving them.

Fightstarter_Karaoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:38 PM   #3
Pucianno Lavarotti

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaJunkie View Post
according to "the Office for National Statistics" the UK population will increase from 60.6 million (from mid 2006) to 65 million (by 2016) and 70 million (by 2031)

Statisticians are putting this down to "70 per cent of the population rise over the next 20 years will be attributable directly to immigration."

I'd be interested in the source of the above as on first glance it seems that someone has got their maths seriously wrong.

By way of explanation, the ONS recorded 695,000 births in 2003 and 612,000 deaths. They're predicting the rates of both to remain relatively constant over the next twenty years with a slight increase towards the end of the next decade, so we can assume an increase in population through natural causes of around 1.6 million. Another 7 million is going to be DIRECTLY attributable to immigration i.e. we're not taking into account the possibility of immigrants having children after settling in this country. So, somehow, another 1.4 million people are going to be inhabiting this country that we can't account for either by natural causes or immigration. Where on earth are they going to spring from?

Pucianno Lavarotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:29 PM   #4
charcoal feathers

I am currently:

tbh, all i've got to say on this is immigrants piss me off and i wish our country would stop letting so many of them in.

It's so easy to get lost in constantly having to present
whatever face you believe a person wants to see rather than your own

charcoal feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:30 PM   #5
Fightstarter_Karaoke

I am currently:

What a well thought out and intelligent opinion.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:40 PM   #6
Lampost
~Sleep in the knowledge that I am here~

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by em. View Post
i tihnk it's worrying that so many people are coming from abroad to england, and that the increase is so large. considering as it is, we can't cope with the people currently living here. considerong the bad state that most schools, hospitals & services are in as it is, im not sure whether we can actually cope iwth anymore people
i realise with more people then they can help in more ways but a fair amount don't help, this is where again, benefits comes into talk and the free healthcare where they contribute nothing too etc.
I agree with this. I have no problem with people entering the country who can genuinly contribute to the nation whether it be a family who move here and parents open a shop or Dr's who come over here. Aslong as the people entering the country are working and paying taxes I don't see too much on an issue. I do have a bit of a problem when they bring their whole families over rather then just immediate with maybe the odd sick grandparent. However, I do have a problem with the masses of people who come over here in search of a "better life" and don't pay taxes.I think that there should be strict rules that people who do come over here have to work and have to pay taxes.
On another point though as humans we should take the responcibilty to help out other people when possible but we should not be taking on the issues of the rest of the world. Other countries may not have it as "cushy" as us but unless we are directly responcible for this as a nation then I see no reason why we should be taking some form of accountability. I dunno if I'm getting what I want to say across right. I'm not saying that countries in which gangs of people are going round killing off whole villages and raping and beating the women etc is right, but tbh the people in the greatest need of escape would be unable to get here. I shall stop talking bollock no.
It's a VERY complex issue and I feel i don't know enough to say "no" or "yes" to anything for deffinate.

Last edited by Lampost : 06-11-2007 at 09:47 PM.

You know me, you just don't know it yet.

Lampost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:45 PM   #7
charcoal feathers

I am currently:

Well, i don't really know enough about it to really comment.
I just think we are letting too many immigrants into the country, especially when a lot of them do nothing and take up houses that we need and benefits and everything else.
It's like my town is full of polish, who don't work.
We have an agency in town which supplies leaflets and things for people written in polish but not English.

It's so easy to get lost in constantly having to present
whatever face you believe a person wants to see rather than your own

charcoal feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:46 PM   #8
Fightstarter_Karaoke

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by charcoal feathers View Post
Well, i don't really know enough about it to really comment.
I just think we are letting too many immigrants into the country, especially when a lot of them do nothing and take up houses that we need and benefits and everything else.
It's like my town is full of polish, who don't work.
We have an agency in town which supplies leaflets and things for people written in polish but not English.
If that were true, why would the government allow them in? And who're working in the new jobs if they aren't immigrants? Are they native Britons putting on foreign accents to take the piss?

Old 06-11-2007, 10:05 PM   #9
KarmaJunkie
All Heart No Brain

I am currently:

the 1.4 million would be the children boren of the previous genration imagrents would they not? because these would be born from those who would now BECOME british parents by entering the country

"if you want to be one of the non conformists you have to dress just like us and listen to the same music we do" - South Park

"Perfection isn't somthing you can Become it is somthing you lose" - Karma Junkie

"Seek not happiness too greedily, and be not fearful of unhappiness." Lao Tzu

KarmaJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:52 AM   #10
BeautyFiend

I am currently:

I've been learning about this for the last 2 months, and i still don't know enough to comment.

BeautyFiend is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)