RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 29-03-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
Chrissyann

Safe - Amoxycillin

I've been prescribed a weeks worth of amoxycillin, but after only 2 days, I've been feeling ill. I was asked if I'm allergic to penicillin, which I'm not... so he said that I should be alright taking amoxycillin as they're the same sort of thing. Anyway, I've had to stop taking them because of feeling sick constantly and quite faint.

The thing is though, the reason for which I was prescribed them has almost gone now anyway. I was just wondering if I should go back to him and get some other medication to help, or to just forget about it? Because 2 days of taking the pills wouldn't have cleared it up this much anyway, but you're supposed to use the full course.

Thanks for any advice in advance.
Chrissy

Old 29-03-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
Heidi Tiger
Loon NOS

I am currently:

I think it's quite normal to feel nauseous on antibiotics, I was on Amoxycillin and it made me very sick and upset my stomach. However the feeling faint is a little more worrying. Could you not just give him a ring for advice, or even get an emergency nurses appointment? I know you said the reason your taking them's nearly gone, but the last thing you want is for it to all flare up again.

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination

Old 29-03-2008, 04:59 PM   #3
Animad

I'd go to your doctors as soon as you can on monday. Even though the infection seems to be clearing up it doesn't mean it's gone. If you stop taking them before the course is complete the remaining bacteria will just multiply again and it WILL flare up again potentially worse thanthe original infection. Also, when it flares up it is likely that the bacteria are more resistant than the original and therefore it will be harder to shift. The main side effects are nausea/skin rashes/ diarrhoea so this is probably why you're feeling quite sick. The feeling faint may be due to you eating less because of the sickness (if you have of course been eating less) or not getting any nutrients because you are being sick. It could be that you are allergic to them or it could of course be something totally unrelated.

What you could do is see a pharmacist as they are open over the weekend and see what they suggest. If your are vomitting you could be dehydrated which will also make you feel ill and so they will be able to give you some powder to mix with drinking water to help with that.

Fimally, if you are on some other anti-biotics (tetrocycline/erythromycin) or a drug known as allopurinol-used for gout and/or kidney problems, or a class of drugs known as aminoglycosides used for heart conditions it might be interaction between the drugs that have caused problems in which case you need to talk to your doctor.

Old 30-03-2008, 02:10 AM   #4
blondiebear
Bringing back the lost art of Sewing

I am currently:

If you're dehydrated, sports drinks like gatorade help too.
If you can, do take the prescription for the whole time. At this point, the weak germs have been killed, the stronger ones are still there though, that is why/how they become resistant.
Ask the doc or chemist if the amoxycillin should be taken on an empty stomach or a full one.

My husband is my best friend.

In forgiving others, we are not exonerating them. They may not deserve exoneration. Rather, in forgiving others we are giving up our anger over the fact that what happened is not what "should" have happened or that our life is not the way it "should" have been.

Old 30-03-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
phoenix
This Member is currently Banned

I am currently:

antibiotics should not make you feel sick or ill in anyway i would advise returning to your gp so that they know in the future and can give you another antibiotic to ensure what you had has cleared up

Old 30-03-2008, 10:53 PM   #6
Twisted Fate

I am currently:

I hate Amoxycillin. I was on it about a month ago and got really sick. The doctor took me right off it and put me on something else that didn't bother me at all.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:54 AM   #7
idontwantnomorescars

I am currently:

you should consult your doctor first. but if they say you're all right and its normal just stick out the whole course of medication because that way all bacteria will get killed off and you'll have less chance of an inflamation reoccuring

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)