‎"Damaged people are dangerous because we know we can survive"

null_n_void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #742
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttons. View Post
^ Yes but you choose to be in the army. You don't choose to attend an educational hell hole ;-p
Even more reason why he should have behaved himself :P

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #743
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeaCulpa View Post
Even more reason why he should have behaved himself :P
Fair point.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

['There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.’ – Oscar Wilde
‘It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back.’ Sydney Carter

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 10:53 PM   #744
Pretty.Reckless
The poor can marry for love!

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Who View Post
I didn't say it was an excuse, simply relaying what the youths said. I said that those who work minimum wage jobs cannot afford luxuries as much as they want to.

It's all too easy to over-react when something like this happens without really thinking it through. We all do it to some degree. Evicting someone from their house isn't going to make anything better, in fact it will probably only exacerbate the feelings of frustration, of tension and of anger. Sending someone to prison isn't really going to change anything at a structural level, and that is part of the problem with the justice system. People go to prison and then come home to the same environment.
I do actually agree that that is one of the main problems with our justice system and actually one of the reasons I never went to do law at uni like I was going to, because I didn't believe that the justice system worked properly so I will agree with you there :) && I know you didn't say it was an excuse....I was just kind of reiterating(sp?) the fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griddlebone View Post
why does that disgust you specifically?Not trying to cause an arguement just interested!x
Everyone else kind of answered this for me haha. It is the whole idea that by choosing to become a soldier you're choosing to honour and defend your country (i don't agree with war so like you they do not automatically earn my respect by being a soldier) I just think that when you choose to represent your country like that.....esspecially in the para's......you shouldn't really be caught looting an electric guitar rom Dawson's in Manchester.

" A man can change his stars"
Avo Belo. Avo Adelgo. Dartho go-nin.

Pretty.Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #745
griddlebone
Head of Chat/Forum Mod.

I am currently:

Ah, ok I understand. I think it might be because I know quite a few soldiers and not one of them is in the army because they love/honour their country!So I never really understood that sentiment! But thank you for clarifying :]
xx

There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you.
But there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.
I aint no abacus but you can count on me.

griddlebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 11:22 PM   #746
Pretty.Reckless
The poor can marry for love!

I am currently:

Ahhh righttt, that's jsut how I see it really. I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with that veiw....I just can't see another reason why you'd want to join the army really.

No offence to anyone here who's in it....or knows people in it.....Imma shush now.

" A man can change his stars"
Avo Belo. Avo Adelgo. Dartho go-nin.

Pretty.Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 12:25 PM   #747
The One Who

I am currently:

In some areas the army (or the Navy or RAF) is one of the biggest employers. Some people are fed the idea that the military opens doors for them, gives them an education, the chance to travel the world, a trade maybe, that when they leave they can get a similar level job on civvy street. Whilst this does happen of course it is not universal. Some of those leaving the military are some of the most disaffected people in this country. They struggle to readjust to civilian life in a big, big way.

In a link to this, there have been calls for national service to be re-introduced for the young. Do we agree, disagree? Remember, national service doesn't automatically have to be with the military, it could be similar to the Duke of Edinburgh awards scheme.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 05:55 PM   #748
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Who View Post
In a link to this, there have been calls for national service to be re-introduced for the young. Do we agree, disagree? Remember, national service doesn't automatically have to be with the military, it could be similar to the Duke of Edinburgh awards scheme.
I really like this idea.

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 09:01 AM   #749
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

['There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.’ – Oscar Wilde
‘It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back.’ Sydney Carter

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 12:03 AM   #750
Bleeding Angel
This is my story, and your not part of it...

I am currently:

apparently the people who set up fb riot groups got 4 years in prison O_o

"Its not how long a star shines, what is remembered is the brightness of the light"

Bleeding Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 07:30 AM   #751
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:

I don't see what the courts/gvmt. are trying to achieve by putting such heavy/disproportionate sentences on people, other than for people to see a knee-jerk, headline-grabbing reaction from government that appeases the Daily Mail readers.

It's going to cause (additional) discontent within the HoC I reckons.

Did anybody else see DC's response?

Dreaming. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 10:18 AM   #752
Bleeding Angel
This is my story, and your not part of it...

I am currently:

its just a mess of a situation, i dont condone the fb group thing, but seriously you get less for carrying a knife.

I think hes just full of words, being too strict then saying "we will help you"

"Its not how long a star shines, what is remembered is the brightness of the light"

Bleeding Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 12:24 PM   #753
The One Who

I am currently:

Half the Public Don't Know or Care About Parliament

"The research explores which communities and social groups are not engaging with Parliament, why and how this might be redressed. It concludes that connecting with ‘hard to reach' groups cannot be achieved by a sudden radical change of approach, but demands a number of smaller cumulative step-changes, many of which Parliament can initiate or suggest but cannot necessarily lead."

I understand that some aspects of parliamentary process are nothing more than pomp and circumstance, and that watching PMQs is akin to watching six year olds spat in a playground, but is that really an excuse to not even attempt to engage in politics?

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)