RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2018, 08:32 PM   #1
charlottej

*Positive Recovery Post* - Unsure how much to exercise

Hi,

It might be a bit unfair to post on this forum as I don't feel I have an eating disorder so much. As I am underweight though, after loosing weight a few years ago, I'm also really trying to gain weight at the moment. I'm just a bit unsure what approach to have towards exercise with the weight I'm currently at. I've read really mixed things online - some completely advising against exercising until a healthy BMI is reached, just focusing on eating more, but others suggesting including regular exercise is a much healthier approach to take and will in fact help the process. Although I know it depends on the type of exercise. I know I would definitely like to begin incorporating more strengthening sessions (e.g. with weights) once I've gained a bit more weight so that I put on muscle as well as fat but I'm unsure when to begin this.

Would hugely appreciate any advice! Thank you so much.

Last edited by Pi.R^2 : 10-09-2018 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Please see your PMs.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:43 PM   #2
Auror.
Camden

You need to remove numbers from your post. They're against the rules.

Also, this sounds like something you really need to speak to professionals about. We can't advise you safely.

Generally as you said, you need to be a healthy weight and able to eat enough to maintain that weight before adding in any type of exercise. Then if you are adding in activity, typically that is also going to mean increasing the amount of food you eat as well to account for additional exercise.

Talk to a professional and be honest with them about things. You're posting in an eating disorder board for a reason, so I'd guess at least part of you realizes that things aren't okay.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:22 PM   #3
charlottej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror. View Post
You need to remove numbers from your post. They're against the rules.

Also, this sounds like something you really need to speak to professionals about. We can't advise you safely.

Generally as you said, you need to be a healthy weight and able to eat enough to maintain that weight before adding in any type of exercise. Then if you are adding in activity, typically that is also going to mean increasing the amount of food you eat as well to account for additional exercise.

Talk to a professional and be honest with them about things. You're posting in an eating disorder board for a reason, so I'd guess at least part of you realizes that things aren't okay.
Thank you so much for you reply and I'm very sorry for including numbers, I should have made sure to check before whether this is allowed or not. Thank you for the advice though, that does put things into better light because I think to be honest part of my has just want clarification that I don't need to be pushing myself to include much exercise at the moment, it probably wouldn't be sensible. And yes, I probably should seek out a professional for advice too, thank you.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:52 AM   #4
tiptoes
Forum Mod

I am currently:

I don't believe that exercise whilst underweight is a complete no no but any exercise needs to be considered carefully. Gentle exercises and generally better things like yoga and Pilates. If you speak to your gp or similar ormaybe a local gym they'll be able to give you a better idea about what exercise you can do and what food intake that would require.

In my dreams I slew the dragon

Old 09-01-2022, 05:38 PM   #5
Whalefall-Scavenger

You'll need to ask about that to your doctor and an RD. You cannot build muscle in a malnourished body, and you cannot move a body that your ED mentally will not allow you to fuel. Basically, don't plan on any exercise that is not stretching/yoga until you're willing to eat and put on weight without restricting.

Strength training and extreme cardio is also dangerous to preform while underfed or possibly having internal damage from am ED. It can lead to bone fractures, metabolic damage, compromised immune system.

Exersize in recovery is not a one size fits all issue. It case by case and you should speak to an RD and your GP about this. As well as YOUR reason to want to exersize. Is this just another sneaky ED tactic or is this something your authentic self wants?

Old 09-01-2022, 08:53 PM   #6
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Closing due to age. charlottej, feel free to contact me if at any point you would like this thread reopening :)

No other sadness in the world would do

Closed Thread

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)