RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 01-01-2016, 11:27 PM   #1
UnanimousAnonymous

I am currently:
Any runners on here?

I lost my horse last month after lameness issues and feel heartbroken and lost. I am not planning on getting another and therefore need to find another way of keeping myself busy and fit. I don't want to take out gym membership as for one it is expensive and hard to fit around my job or I may get too addicted to it and then it will effect my job. I am thinking of taking up running and considering getting a Fitbit to monitor my activity.
I had/do have an eating disorder although I am in the best place I have ever been in regards to that. I feel that running will enable me to keep on track.

Does anyone have any tips for a complete beginner at running? I would love to get good enough to do a half marathon in the future but don't really know where to start! Thanks in advance :)

UnanimousAnonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Hugs Given By :
Old 01-01-2016, 11:29 PM   #2
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

I'm not a runner but once or twice I've tried to become one and have done couch to 5k which is a really graded start and there are apps etc around that tell you how to begin. You basically start by running x and walking y until you are running 5k.

Sorry to hear about your horse xox

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

random.swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:34 PM   #3
shadow-light
He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon

I am currently:

I used to be a ruuner. I've not run for a while now, but planning to take it back uyp this year

shadow-light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:40 PM   #4
Serendipity.
fabulous.

I am an almost-runner! I've done a half marathon in the past (in a shockingly slow time!) but I do find running really helpful and it was one of the best things I've ever done.

I second the idea of trying couch 2 5k or something similar. I'm doing it at the moment as an easy way of getting back in to running and it's really manageable and it tells you you're doing great all the time :P

Not sure if it's something you would enjoy but you could look and see if there are any beginners running groups in your area. Sometimes having people to do it with can help with staying motivated!

Regarding your ED, could you maybe try to keep an eye on it and maybe make sure you're aware of warning signs you'd need to be looking out for?

I'm really sorry about your horse. I hope you enjoy running though :)

"I know you're sad, so I won't tell you to have a good day. Instead, I advise you to simply have a day.
Stay alive, feed yourself well, wear comfortable clothes, and don't give up on yourself just yet.
It'll get better. Until then, have a day."

Serendipity. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:44 PM   #5
Charmed
I'm safe up high.

Hey there! Sorry to hear about your horse, it sounds like a huge loss and very sad.

Running is a great idea to keep fit and set small goals for yourself, as well as help relieving stress. I used to be a swimmer until I had to quit due to an ED and started running instead of swimming when I was doing a bit better. Running really helped relieve stress etc. As I struggle when not exercising, I also think in some way it helped me recover because (due to swimming) I knew I would be unable to run if I hadn't eaten enough or had enough Energy and it would make me Ill again. I have occasionally struggles with becoming too obsessed with running, so I would recommend trying to keep an eye on your thoughts and behaviours so running doesn't become an obsession.

As Cam suggested, apps are wonderful, there are some really good free apps out there that monitor your speed/distance/time etc and can help motivate you. I use RunKeeper just as a tracker, but there are others which include motivational things (I've forgotten what they are so may come back when I've remembered). The important thing is to start slowly and not to push yourself too much. If you have never ran before it will be hard and you may feel as though you're not making much progress. But stick with it. As a complete beginning it might be good t start with staggered runs, so run for 1 minute (however long you think is appropriate) then walk for 1 minute for 30 minutes. Then slowly increase the running time and decrease walking until you can run non stop.

It's also really important to make sure you're warming up and warming down properly, make sure to stretch before and after and also to start with a short jog before going into full blown running, and to end in a short jog afterwards. Don't abruptly stop running as it won't allow your muscles to repair themselves properly and will make running harder in the long run.

Aiming for a Half marathon is a brilliant idea, there are also apps/website which suggest certain training plans for this, starting from beginners which might be worth looking up. It might also help to have an incentive, I did my first half marathon for charity so I had to complete it!

Sorry for the long post I got a bit excited when I saw running :p feel free to PM me or anything if you have questions or just want to discuss running :p and good luck!!

Have you ever looked fear in the face and said "I just don't care"?

Charmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:59 PM   #6
shadow-light
He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon

I am currently:

also, on the ED side. I find running actually helps me, as I know that I need to fuel my body properly for running. I am a fairly competitive person and I enjoy obsticle races so that has forced me to take care f myself diet wise.

part of the reason I'm re-starting running to be honest is that it reduced my EDish behaviours

shadow-light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:25 PM   #7
UnanimousAnonymous

I am currently:

Thankyou all for your replies. I have checked out the couch 2 5k and did the first run this evening. I really enjoyed it and will carry on with it.

Thank you Auror, I have been finding it very tough without my boy. I've experienced so many emotions these past couple of weeks and could see myself going back to old habits so running should help this. My horse was the reason I got out of bed in the morning and helped me through my lowest points. I may go and ride a friends pony tomorrow but I will see how I feel and how the weather is.

UnanimousAnonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:12 PM   #8
Steel Maiden
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Before I became visually impaired, I used to be a cross country runner. I used to do 8 mile cross country runs with a club. Cross country running is amazing and I miss it a lot. I recommend it, you don't need to run 8 miles, even running for half an hour in a wooded park is good enough.

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.
I have autism and have problems communicating, PMs included.
Just becasue I type well doesn't mean I speak well. I am only part time verbal.

Steel Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)