RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-04-2013, 03:11 AM   #21
Derpy
This Member is currently Banned

I am currently:

Yeah. It probably would be classed as 'non-cooperation' unless you have a diagnosed phobia of needles.

Derpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #22
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Sorry, but if you know that answer to questions like that, it feels like you know a lot more about sectioning that you are letting on. I'm really confused as to your intentions with this thread. You've also ignored everyone else's answers; have they helped at all? Do you have any more questions?

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #23
Foxtrot Oscar

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcissa View Post
Sorry, but if you know that answer to questions like that, it feels like you know a lot more about sectioning that you are letting on. I'm really confused as to your intentions with this thread. You've also ignored everyone else's answers; have they helped at all? Do you have any more questions?
As am I. It almost feels like it has a voyeuristic element, which concerns me.

Sir Phillip: Veg-a-ta-pal extraordinaire!

Foxtrot Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #24
Derpy

I am currently:

I didn't say I knew nothing about sectioning, rather, I was trying to find out what was true about it and what wasn't. And yes,the answers so far have been very helpful.
Yes I actually do have a few more questions:
Does sectioning effect you're ability to get certain jobs, if yes, which ones and when?
Does sectioning have an effect on what countries you can travel too. Does it prevent you from going to any, if yes, which ones and when?
Thanks guys (and girls) for all your answers

Old 03-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #25
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

Can I ask why you are asking these questions?
If it is because you think there is a chance of it happening, my advice would be to go into hospital voluntarily, rather than fighting it.

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #26
Derpy

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelback4Ever View Post
I have two reasons for asking these questions, I am not exactly mentally well myself and just wondering what sectioning would involve if I was ever unlucky enough to be sectioned and I'm trying to help a friend who has been sectioned in their past (I really don't want to talk about that), and was trying to get a clearer picture of what happens under section so I can try to help them better
These are my reasons for asking these questions ↑

Old 03-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #27
Heidi Tiger
Loon NOS

I am currently:

Sectioning can affect your ability to travel, for example you can't get an automatic visa to the USa if you have been sectioned. Note it's not a blanket ban, just means its a bit more complicated than if you hadn't been.

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination

Heidi Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #28
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

Much as I HATED being sectioned, scared the **** out of me, it saved my life. More than once. And although one hospital restrained me with unnecessary force (I had the bruises to prove it) every other hospital has been decent and if I have been restrained it has been for a very good reason and they haven't hurt me at all and were concientious about sending someone to talk to me/asking my 1-1 to talk to me about it afterwards when I'd calmed down because of my abuse history and aversion to touch. Yes sectioning has some impacts on general life (such as travel) which I think are wrong and resent (when you are well) but frankly I wouldn't be alive to be complaining about it without some of my sections so when I am calmish and thinking clearly I can see what was done for my own good.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

['There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.’ – Oscar Wilde
‘It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back.’ Sydney Carter

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #29
Foxtrot Oscar

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttons. View Post
Much as I HATED being sectioned, scared the **** out of me, it saved my life. More than once. And although one hospital restrained me with unnecessary force (I had the bruises to prove it) every other hospital has been decent and if I have been restrained it has been for a very good reason and they haven't hurt me at all and were concientious about sending someone to talk to me/asking my 1-1 to talk to me about it afterwards when I'd calmed down because of my abuse history and aversion to touch. Yes sectioning has some impacts on general life (such as travel) which I think are wrong and resent (when you are well) but frankly I wouldn't be alive to be complaining about it without some of my sections so when I am calmish and thinking clearly I can see what was done for my own good.
Thanks for sharing that Katie, I think that's a really important contribution to this thread.

*Is trying not to sound patronising, which may have been an epic fail, apologies if that's the case*

Last edited by Foxtrot Oscar : 04-04-2013 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Grammar

Old 04-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #30
Sketchy

I am currently:

I don't think listening to "horror stories" is particularly helpful, because each experience is different. I hated being sectioned, but it kept me alive. Rather than focus on the bad things, it might be more helpful to think about what you think may help you. I haven't thought about how being sectioned can set me back in the future because I was too unwell, and obviously I didn't have a choice anyway.

Are you worried you may be sectioned? It's always a last resort as it's preferably to be helped in the community. Don't let others experiences get in the way of asking for help, because your health and well being is important.

Sketchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #31
Bear
Partially hibernating

I am currently:

I'm a little worried that some of the posts on this thread may be preventing the OP from accessing the support that they may need at the moment. (Though I'm not sure how to get around that)

My partner and several of my friends are mental health nurses and I just wanted to say that sectioning is always done when the people involved think it is in the best interests of the patient. It's not done to be cruel or because they enjoy it, and restraining, injecting and force feeding are very traumatic for the staff as well as the person sectioned, it's not pleasant for anyone.

Personally I've been on over ten sections and yes, at times it can be unpleasant and undignified, but to be fair I was so unwell at the time that I didn't really realise what was happening, the staff were simply doing the best they could for me in the long run and it did ultimately save my life

Three cheers for love of the simplest kind.
The coins I flip land on their sides.

Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #32
Derpy

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
I'm a little worried that some of the posts on this thread may be preventing the OP from accessing the support that they may need at the moment. (Though I'm not sure how to get around that)
What you mean?

Old 05-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #33
Sketchy

I am currently:

I think Bear means that listening to the worst case scenarios can put you off asking for help when you need it. Please don't let that get in the way of asking for help. As I said before, each experience is different and sectioning tends to be a last resort. The most important thing is your safety and well being.

You didn't answer if you are worried that you may be sectioned.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #34
Derpy

I am currently:

Yes, yes I am frightened that I will be sectioned. I have quite a severe phobia of hospitals and feeling trapped. (Sectioning would definitely make me feel trapped) my phobia is bad enough that I'd probably try to escape or try to kill myself

Old 05-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #35
Sketchy

I am currently:

Are you getting any help in the community? Have they mentioned hospital? I get what you mean about feeling trapped, I felt the same, but at the end of the day it's a last resort and it's to keep you safe.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #36
Derpy

I am currently:

I have the help of the most amazing friend. This person is so amazing. So strong.
This person can just text me and I will feel a lot less suicidal, a lot less triggered.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #37
Derpy

I am currently:

I'm sorry. I have very serious trust issues, especially when health professionals are involved
In my experience I have learnt that they cannot be trusted.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #38
yoyogirl

I am currently:

i would trust them slowly build a rapport with them x (working relationship)

Have you ever confused a dream with life? Or stolen something when you have the cash? Have you ever been blue? Or thought your train moving while sitting still? Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it was the 60's. Or maybe I was just a girl... interrupted.
I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside. I tried groups, didn't work out just made my depression a lot worse.

yoyogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #39
Derpy

I am currently:

What do my experiences? And stuff I've been told about them (which I am certain is true)
Proven to be untrustworthy, but still expected to trust them? I'm sorry, I really don't think I can do that

Old 06-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #40
Foxtrot Oscar

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelback4Ever View Post
What do my experiences? And stuff I've been told about them (which I am certain is true)
Proven to be untrustworthy, but still expected to trust them? I'm sorry, I really don't think I can do that
How can we help you further on this thread? Have your questions been answered sufficiently?

I think, as other people have alluded to on this thread, finding a professional you can slowly begin to trust may be a good idea. It could potentially be a lot of pressure to put on your friend. It is important to consider his/her well being too. I don't think you can put *all* professionals under the same umbrella, they are not all untrustworthy. How do you define 'untrustworthy?' If a professional has done something you may not have liked but in your best interests or for your own safety, that, in my book, is not untrustworthy.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)