RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 26-09-2018, 12:11 PM   #1
daviez18

I saved my BFF from ending his life, and I can't figure out if I did the right thing or not.

Bit of a long post, but I appreciate any help right now when I'm in this situation.
So, a little background here. I've known him for over 4 years, since the start of highschool. We were best friends, sharing so much in common including depression. We've been constantly cheering each other up, saying it will always get better. Well, I did get a lot better thanks to therapist and medicine. But he just went down and down everyday and it breaks my heart seeing it. But I never had enough courage to tell his family to do something, apparently he was good at hiding it from his parents.

Last week I received a message from him, saying he just wanted to end it all. Very rarely will he message me like that, and if he does, it's never a joke. I panic, trying my absolute best to convince him otherwise, to no avail. He then gave me another message that he will do it the next day.

I was losing my mind. He was ready to let everything else go just to have his death, and he trusted only me to tell about his plan. But eventually I had to do it, I would never forgive myself for watching my friend die when I could have just stopped it. I made a phone call to his family and prevent him from doing it. And as I expected, he feels nothing but hatred and disgust towards me, for not allowing him to take his own life.

Everyone said I did the right thing, but I've been beating myself up about it. He was willing to leave everything behind, craving for nothing but a death to finally feel peaceful for once. And I was the horrible person who took that chance away, forcing him to live a life he doesn't want to. Did I do the right thing ? And will he ever forgive me for this ?

daviez18 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 26-09-2018, 01:16 PM   #2
HopeRises

Yes you definitely did the right thing. I'm sure in time he will not feel so much hate and anger and when life gets better for him he will thank you. Hopefully now he will get the help and support he needs to get his life back on track.

I'm also pretty sure if you did nothing there would be legal complications and also you wouldn't have been able to forgive yourself if he succeeded. So not only did you do the right thing for him but you did the right thing for you too.

I hope things get easier for you both very soon.

Life can be beautiful if you let it.
Step back, breathe and take it in

HopeRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 06:48 PM   #3
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

I totally agree that you did the right thing. It was literally a matter of life and death and I think everyone automatically wants to preserve someones life if they care about them. I hope you're both doing ok. Do you have support yourself?

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

Don't try to calm the storm, calm yourself, the storm will pass.

You didn't come this far just to come this far.

one_step_closer is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)