RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 22-08-2015, 06:59 AM   #1
manic_felinemistress

I am currently:
Sex? Or lack there of.

I haven't been aroused, interested, or even thought about sex in at least a year. I get that I have intense mood swings and that can effect my libido and the heavy cocktail of medications definitely isn't any aphrodisiac.

I honestly am completely apathetic about it, I really don't care about sex at all. Masturbation, anything. I feel no physical attraction or desire.

The real problem is I'm in a relationship with a guy I've been with for three years. The first year I was manic most of the time, so I was practically an unneutered dog. The second year I was rapid cycling a lot so who knows what I was feeling when.

I just know that the absence of sex is starting to effect the relationship, and even when I just go along with it, he realizes I'm not into it and gets upset and mad that I had sex with him just because he wants to.

So I don't really know what to do at this point.

manic_felinemistress is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 22-08-2015, 11:02 AM   #2
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Have you ever felt sexual desires outside of manic episodes? Also, do any of your medications list reduced libido as a side effect?

Some medications can cause reduced libido, and I'm also wondering if there's a possibility that you're asexual, if your sexual desires have only appeared in manic episodes.

It would be worth seeing a GP about this, as there could be a number of underlying causes of this.

Do you think you could talk to your boyfriend about this, so he's aware what's going on for you?

Last edited by Pi.R^2 : 22-08-2015 at 12:23 PM.

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 11:20 AM   #3
Harley
Webmaster

I am currently:

Two people you need to open up to about this. Your GP and your boyfriend. Your GP because the Meds are likely the cause of this and it is something taken very seriously and then your BF because he needs to know it is not him/the relationship and there is an external factor in this. That will make it a lot easier to process for him, and he can be there for you.

"Perfection is always under construction"

Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 04:51 PM   #4
manic_felinemistress

I am currently:

All seven of my meds can cause reduced libido, but I've been on this kind of stuff since I was a kid so I don't understand why it would effect me now. I just switched psychiatrists so I don't believe he is aware.

I have been very open with my boyfriend about this and have tried to explain it, and he's been very understanding. I can tell he's still blaming himself though.

I'm usually in a mixed state or rapid cycling, so I honestly don't know. I don't think I'm asexual, I know I've felt attraction to both men and women before, but this is usually heightened when manic.

manic_felinemistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 06:58 PM   #5
shadow-light
He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon

I am currently:

best bet i think would be to mention it o your new psych. it may not be the meds,. but on the other hand it could be and probably needs exploring. also, may not be a great idea, but would your psych maybe be willing to have a session on the topic of sex and have our boyfriend there too? SOrt of to help him to understand it's not him that's the issue. Though I know that may not be a great suggestion as not the sort of thing many like to discuss with others, just a thoguth

shadow-light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 10:02 AM   #6
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

^that sounds like a good idea!

As Hazel (shadow-light) has said, it would be a good idea to mention it to your new psychiatrist, especially since this you've been on the meds a long time and are only experiencing this symptom now, so it could actually be caused by something else.

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)