RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 07-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #61
Fry

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaybeMemories. View Post
I think the difference between that website and the "compliments picture thread" is these people are making themselves feel good by potentially hurting another person and saying that person is unattractive, therefore, not worthy enough to be on the site.

I can see where you're coming from though.
Some people in the compliments thread don't get commented on.

Stop thinking about what I want, what he wants, what your parents want. What do you want?

(Used to be ~sonic~)

Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #62
GlitterandSparkles.

I am currently:

Ohh, really? I've never noticed. Though, I don't go in there all that often as it slows my computer down a lot!

GlitterandSparkles. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #63
Fry

I am currently:

Yeah, not often, but it happens.

Stop thinking about what I want, what he wants, what your parents want. What do you want?

(Used to be ~sonic~)

Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:18 PM   #64
Gone.

I think that there is an element of hypocrisy, but I agree with what Alone and Scared said- I would probably class it more with the pro-ED/SH websites compared to this one.

And this site is different because we wouldn't 'throw people out' for not making the grade in looks.

Left.

Gone. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:51 PM   #65
Blittle1986

But you would throw people out for not making the grade in other areas.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:57 PM   #66
Heidi Tiger
Loon NOS

I am currently:

What other areas?
Only in disobeying the rules persistantly and to a serious degree. Which is what is the case just about every situation you can think of. E.g cause serious harm in society and being removed from society by being imprisoned.

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination

Heidi Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:26 PM   #67
griddlebone
Head of Chat/Forum Mod.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Heart..And View Post
Some people in the compliments thread don't get commented on.
It happened to me once!It was actually a bit horrifying, I didnt realise I had no redeeming features lmao.x

There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you.
But there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.
I aint no abacus but you can count on me.

griddlebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:50 PM   #68
Gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi Tiger View Post
What other areas?
Only in disobeying the rules persistantly and to a serious degree. Which is what is the case just about every situation you can think of. E.g cause serious harm in society and being removed from society by being imprisoned.
Agreed.

Left.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:23 AM   #69
Alone and Scared
*Roby and Allie's Angel!*

I am currently:

To Blittle - What areas would we throw others out for?!

-“And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to bloom.” Anais Nin-

Allie, Mutt, Great Grandma, Hope and Humbug. I love you and miss you all. xx
Love you Caz, Kel, Roby &&Dasher. xx

Alone and Scared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:54 AM   #70
typsee

I am currently:

Guys ... can we please be very careful about the sorts of comments that get posted in this thread, as I've already had to edit a bunch of posts from this thread already, and its coming dangerously close to getting locked if we cant debate this issue without making personal comments towards each other.

Seeing as we've already had one RYLer admit to having been a member of this Beautiful People website, please refrain from making any insulting comments and assumptions about the sorts of people who join these types of websites, as this will result in indirectly flaming a member of this website ... which is of course, against our RYL Rules.

thank you.

typsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:09 PM   #71
The 666th Pope
Hallelujah

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alone and Scared View Post
To Blittle - What areas would we throw others out for?!
we would kick people out based on arbitrary rules, enforced by the mods of this site, that are supported by its base member group. just because this site is less strict doesn't make it inclusive for everybody.

Love is the most selfish emotion of all.

The 666th Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:21 PM   #72
Alone and Scared
*Roby and Allie's Angel!*

I am currently:

^ They would be banned if they were out of order and did something unnaceptable.... I don't see that as the same though?

-“And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to bloom.” Anais Nin-

Allie, Mutt, Great Grandma, Hope and Humbug. I love you and miss you all. xx
Love you Caz, Kel, Roby &&Dasher. xx

Alone and Scared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:28 PM   #73
Gone.

I don't agree with your argument.
I think that you are classing rule-breaking on here (as in, unacceptable behaviour) with people getting thrown out for not being classified as 'beautiful' and gaining a few pounds. Maybe I have interpreted what you are implying wrongly, but I don't understand how they are the same thing?

Left.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #74
The 666th Pope
Hallelujah

I am currently:

thats because you arnt looking at it from their perspective. on beautiful.com you have to be what is socially accepted as beautiful yes? and on this site if you do not 'pass the mark' you get kicked off. these people didnt pass the mark so the mods of the site enforced the rule.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #75
Gone.

Okay, I see where you are coming from now.
It is just the concept that I disagree with.

Left.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #76
The 666th Pope
Hallelujah

I am currently:

good =) its hard to explain.

if you dont believe in the concept does that mean you believe what they did to be just plain unacceptable? because if so arnt you judging them by your own beliefs, just like they did to the people they kicked off the site? only this time your basing your judgment upon something you consider to be socially acceptable, where as they're basing there decision upon the rules enfored by the site that the incident happened on.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:52 PM   #77
Gone.

Hmm. I don't think I am basing my ideas on what I think is socially acceptable because I don't agree with that concept either (complicated, yes XD).

I probably am judging them by my own beliefs, but at the same time I am also basing it upon social principles. How I think it is wrong for people to be thrown off a site just because they have 'gained a few pounds' and how I disagree with the message being sent off from that. I guess it preys upon peoples' insecurities, from what I can gather.

Left.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #78
Heidi Tiger
Loon NOS

I am currently:

I'd argue the two things are very different.
Firstly the people on this website were kicked off for gaining a few pounds over Christmas, on RYL people have lots of chances to modify their behaviour before they are banned.
Secondly RYL has rules for member safety, people who are going to cause distress and harm to other members on here are literally the only people who do get banned from this website. Other than that anyone is welcome regardless of gender,physical appearance,sexuality,race,wether they self harm or not etc. et.c
I don't see having a rule that members must be beautiful is anything to do with member safety.

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination

Heidi Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #79
GlitterandSparkles.

I am currently:

I agree with Heidi, it's a very different concept.

GlitterandSparkles. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:13 PM   #80
The 666th Pope
Hallelujah

I am currently:

shine i liked that last sentence of yours, good point =) i know what im saying has some flaws in it, and what happened would not have been a good experience for those involved, i just personally didnt like the way people jumped on board to abuse these people from a position of ignorance.

heidi i think something else should be taken into account, that fact that this is a self help site and beautiful.com is a dating site, and any comparison between the two wont really work. as i understand it these people can get back on if they loose the weight and are deemed to be 'beautiful' again? if so thats just a different type of rule enforcement.
and your second point rally has to do with the target audience that the sites are aimed at. beautiful.com is aimed at a minority audience, ryl is not.

the rule that people have to be good looking isnt for member safety, as i understand it its for convenience.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)