RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 12-08-2007, 01:21 AM   #41
pez_barbie
a little pie

I am currently:

i have a friend who promised to and i quote "bitchslap your arse around the room" i dont think for a second he would but thats not the point. i geniune feel like i would let him down. plus lately im really working towards my 1 year completely free celebration. i made it 1 year free but with slip ups. this time i want one year copletely free and then im getting a tatoo. not only am i getting it but hopefully a good friend of mine will be doing it for me. so i really want this done and so im fighting to get to that. then once i have it i'll have a real reminder that i can do it once and can keep going.

If I pretended I was blind
And struck it from my mind
Would it still be there?
What if I'd do anything
To make it seem all right
I finally got Lei'd in Vets....It was an enjoyable experience!

pez_barbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2007, 09:09 PM   #42
Doesnt_matter
Judith

There is another thing that helps me to avoid SI but it is a way that could not be a solution for many people but perhaps there is at least one person who could try my new way for staying "sober".

During the last weeks, I have to go to my GP quite regularly because of typist´s cramp in both arms (well, that sucks) and because of acupuncture because of this problem and my depression. It helps me to know that I will have to go to my GP in some days again, so she would see if I cut myself again and I am afraid of the consequences AND I don´t want to disappoint them.

Perhaps there are some people who can find reason for visiting your GP regularly or perhaps you could make a deal with your therapist that she/ he will check your arms every time you see her/ him.

And still singing, creaming your arms, cuddle a stuffed animal, watching funny online videos, listening and watching to things from your childhood, doing online games,...

Take care,
Judith

I can't control my destiny.
I trust my soul. My only goal is just to be.
(Rent)

I'm selfish, inpatient and a little insecure.
I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. (Marilyn Monroe)

Doesnt_matter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 11:49 PM   #43
Doesnt_matter
Judith

I´m going to make red ice cubes with food colouring and I hope that will help me.
Ice cubes are O.K. but I guess that I miss the redness, so I hope that this will be better for me.

I would be thankful for more and easy tips especially tips that can help when there are others around you.
Sometimes others trigger me or a conversation is so difficult for me (with my parents, friends,...) that there is an urge rising in me.
I cannot sing, listen to music that helps me, fetch some ice cubes when I am at another´s house and there are people around me.
What can help me then?

(Rent)

I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. (Marilyn Monroe)

Old 25-08-2007, 05:14 PM   #44
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Put your SI-ing tools into a box and tape it up really really well. That way, if you are tempted to open the box, it'll take you ages and hopefully the urge will pass before you get into the box.

Or have a good cry. Scream into a pillow. Write down how you're feeling then screw it up.

Phone someone to say you're struggling. Have a random conversation.

I like watching something that makes me laugh (black books!).

Dye your hair. Read a trashy magazine, or book. Listen to happy music. Take the dog for a walk.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2007, 11:36 AM   #45
Yume.No.Chikara
silently screaming

I am currently:

Reciet your times tables / a poem continuously so you can't think about anything but sh or whatever is making your head explode! It really does work and times tables are allways useful!!

5000 Children die everyday from dirty water

Yume.No.Chikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2007, 07:26 PM   #46
Ami
Perfectly Flawed

I am currently:

Put your SI-ing tools into a box and tape it up really really well. That way, if you are tempted to open the box, it'll take you ages and hopefully the urge will pass before you get into the box.

I am so gonna do that! Thanks :)
When i get paid next week, i might buy some funny DVDs too

I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.

Ami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2007, 07:40 PM   #47
Doesnt_matter
Judith

Yesterday, I made red ice cubes with food colouring.
They really look like blood ice cubes .
But I can warn you: my whole kitchen and all my fingers were quite red after I made the ice cubes.
I guess that the ice cubes will leave red marks on your skin, so you will be able to see what you´ve done with them (like wounds and scars).

(Rent)

Old 11-09-2007, 01:22 AM   #48
Doesnt_matter
Judith

What I can recommend is getting some glazed tiles and a hammer and then, let your aggression out on them.
But please be careful with the hammer, the edges of the tilings and it is better to cover your eyes with plastic glasses because the tilings can "jump" really high when you hammer on them.

I read something on a homepage and I like the idea. If you feel like SI yourself, look at your scars and wounds and let them "speak" and write it down.
What do your scars want to say? To whom? How would you like the people to react?

Last edited by Doesnt_matter : 11-09-2007 at 01:22 AM. Reason: adding something...

(Rent)

Old 12-09-2007, 04:07 PM   #49
Zephyr

I am currently:

It's been two months since I SI'd and here's what helped me get this far...

Getting rid of my tools first and foremost.

Distractions, Distractions, Distractions!

Getting out of the house and not staying cooped up by myself. I'd force myself to get out and do something, anything - I'd go to the park and read or just walk around town and not return home until I knew I was in a better place mentally and not as likely to SI.

Support - For years I didn't talk to anyone about the SI, but after I was admitted to the hospital everyone found out, and if I was in a bad place I'd call someone and they'd stay on the phone with me or come over. If you can find a support system, then do so!

Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:34 PM   #50
Old Greg
I'm Old Greg!

I am currently:

Generally taking my mind off wanting to do it by watching a movie or playing a game helps.
But sometimes they don't work and if I desperately want to sh but know I shouldn't then I just sit there crying for ages.
May sound weird but it works.

Old Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 12:45 PM   #51
emo_lover
orlaith loveing ciaran

I am currently:

haveing someone you can trust to talk to really helps its worked for me

emo_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 04:30 PM   #52
scarlet-tears
will scarlett forever <3

I am currently:

i find it helps to talk to someone close, but normally i can't because i'd have to use the phone and my sister always listens to my conversations on the extension line. so i usually go out for a run, and listen to my iPod. i've got a section of songs that help me feel better, or calmer or whatever. plain white t's always calms me down, and there's a song by air traffic that always makes me feel happy. i think it's called shooting star.

one time my mum was getting rid of a whole load of china plates, and i'd had a really bad day. i asked her if i could have them, and then i write all the bad things people say about me. and when it's full i SMASH THE PLATE!!!!!!! it's really helped, because i can imagine the plate is someone's face and it gets rid of my anger. plus it's FUN!!!!!! but only do this with old china. my friend tried it and her mum grounded her for a month because she smashed up her favourite plate...

<3 doing it for my friends <3
<3 doing it for God <3
doing it for ME
i CAN do this
nine months without self-harm
XD

scarlet-tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2007, 06:11 AM   #53
froot_loop

I am currently:

i run. and run. and run. until i literally can't run anymore.
i started running around the time i stopped cutting part of my promise to myself to be healthier. at the start, i couldn't run a mile. now i'm on the school cross country team. the miles remind me of how far i've come from where i used to be, and why i never want to go back.

when i can't do that, i just have a zero tolerance policy with myself. i simply don't let myself do it. i just don't allow myself to move from the spot i'm in until i know i'm not going to s.i.
frustrating, but it works.

"the opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference." - elie weisel

"the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing but burn, burn, burn like fabulous roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes 'awww'"
— jack kerouac

froot_loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2007, 04:10 PM   #54
Doesnt_matter
Judith

drawing and painting (it does not care if you are a "good artist" or not)

It helps me to paint bl**dy *rms, so I see it and do not have to do it on my *rms.

(Rent)

Old 20-09-2007, 07:52 PM   #55
Nicholas

Making very elaborate clay sculptures. Singing LOUDLY esp. while dancing like no one is watching. Putting tools in a hard to reach/get to place. Crying helps much more if I'm around someone, because if someones with me and comforting me, I not only get the release from crying, but the feeling of love and protection from them. Running.

This is a gift, it comes with a price
Who is the lamb and who is the knife
Midas is king and he holds me so tight
And turns me to gold in the sunlight

And in the spring I shed my skin
And it blows away with the changing wind
The waters turn from blue to red
As towards the sky I offer it

Nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2007, 11:14 PM   #56
butterfly525
-invictus-

I am currently:

last night i drew magic marker tattoos on myself, in some of the places where i used to cut. it's a twist on the old "draw red lines instead of cutting", only a bit more creative and colorful!

Laura

"I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love." ~Mother Theresa

butterfly525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2007, 03:24 PM   #57
DisenchantedxRomance

I am currently:

I normally write about it. That really helps or I listen to music and just sit there and think while I'm listening to music. Sometimes I'll clean my room or something like that. Sometimes I'll call my best friend/sister, my close friend or my boyfriend. They listen and give me feed back, make me laugh and everything is all good after.

I'm wide awake...

3.19.2011- Best day
1.30.2010-You left me.
8.28.2008-Fly High.

DisenchantedxRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2007, 05:00 PM   #58
destroyingangel

Back when I was in college I would leave my room, do homework in the hallway, or just keep my door open. When I was living with my parents I kept the door to my room open, and didn't lock the bathroom door. As long as there was a chance that I could be walked in on or seen, it greatly diminished the chances I would cut.
Also, avoid listening to depressing music etc late at night when you are alone, or other potential triggers.

More physical alternatives I've tried over the years: pushing on the pressure point on my innner wrist (it can calm you down a lot). If you are a scab picker, try liquid bandaids, you can feel like you are picking your skin away (I guess there are some face masques or exfoliating products that might do the same trick).

destroyingangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 03:51 AM   #59
flybat3

I am currently:

snaping my arm with a rubber band.

flybat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 10:09 PM   #60
louroll_x

I am currently:

What helps me is to not think about it. If I take my mind off it by talking to my friends or putting on happy music and dancing around, or even just doing something stupid like playing on the sims, it helps! Sometimes writing in my diary helps too. But if all of that fails, I just think to myself how stupid it would be to do it again after all of this time. I haven't SH since December last year and I'm really proud of myself. I know if I did it again I'd be letting myself down. That's what helps me :).

louroll_x is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)