RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-06-2008, 09:40 PM   #1
Raven

I am currently:
Triggering (Substance Abuse) - living with an alcoholic

i wondered if anyone may have some advice they could give me. i have been with my fiance for almost 4 years now but he has had a problem with alcohol since long before that. i have watched him go through detox in the past, he shook and suffered hallucinations. i have excused his behaviour for a long time, as i too had my own issues with alcohol although on a much lesser scale. his alcoholism has peaked at times, and has been much better at others. we now have a baby girl who is 8 weeks on saturday and my fiance is going through a hard time with problems at work. this, plus i suspect the pressures of a new baby (though he strongly denies this, he claims to be very happy at home) has forced him into a bad place again with alcohol. he also suffers from bipolar and borderline personality disorder, so you can imagine the strain this is putting on our family. it has only become so clear to me now, that i am not involved in his drinking with him as i am taking care of our baby, just how bad this problem is. i dont know how to tackle it. in the early hours of monday morning, i was feeding our baby and waiting on him coming to bed after another night of drinking. i had a lot to say to him, about how i do not want me or his child to be second best to the bottle any longer and that i do not want to live a life of empty promises as every time he messes up, he swears he will never do it again. and he does. instead he came in and told me he had come to his senses, that he has been so selfish, that he has let us down and how he needs to be a father and not a drunk and that he would give up drinking entirely for us. i let him say his piece then i said mine. i wanted to believe him but i was not convinced. its now wednesday night and he has gone to see my brother play a gig. he text me and asked me if he could have a couple of beers as he wasnt feeling comfortable in the venue. i text him back and told him that i suspected he had already been drinking and he was just looking for my approval so he didnt feel bad. he confirmed this and i repeated what i had said about empty promises. he asked not to argue and i told him to come home alone tonight, as he is out with friends.
i dont know what to do. i cant be as simplistic as 'how do i make him stop?' but thats what i really want to know. what can i do? we have just brought a child into the world and our relationship is brilliant, i love him with all my heart and i dont want to leave him. but if he continues to drink like this, i have to consider our baby.
if anyone has any advice, please, i would very much appreciate it.

"When I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you" - Dr Samuel Loomis

Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Hugs Given By :
Old 26-06-2008, 03:56 AM   #2
blondiebear
Bringing back the lost art of Sewing

I am currently:

There is absolutely nothing you can do to make him stop. Sorry to be that blunt.

He may be using the alcohol to medicate himself for his other illnesses too.

The best thing I can recommend is Al-Anon. It is a support group for the friends and family of alcoholics. They should be in your phone book as well as on line.

I'm an alcoholic in recovery. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

My husband is my best friend.

In forgiving others, we are not exonerating them. They may not deserve exoneration. Rather, in forgiving others we are giving up our anger over the fact that what happened is not what "should" have happened or that our life is not the way it "should" have been.

blondiebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 03:47 PM   #3
Raven

I am currently:

i would have liked him to have gone to al-anon but he refuses to, he says because the meetings are always during the day on a weekday and he works for a living. he has to go back to the doctor next week as he is currently off work with stressed and i have asked him to discuss the problem with her. last night he was saying he has tried and tried and he cant beat his addiction (though he did once for a year). today when i made suggestions and asked if he would be interested in talking to one of our friends who beat drug and alcohol addiction, he got annoyed and told me he can do it himself. he isnt making much sense and i suspect if i push him he will just be less and less willing to talk to me.

Old 26-06-2008, 04:57 PM   #4
blondiebear

I am currently:

Al-Anon is for you! Alcoholics Anonymous is for the alcoholic.
In Al-Anon, you will meet other people whose loved ones are alcoholics. They can teach you how to cope.

In forgiving others, we are not exonerating them. They may not deserve exoneration. Rather, in forgiving others we are giving up our anger over the fact that what happened is not what "should" have happened or that our life is not the way it "should" have been.

Old 26-06-2008, 09:58 PM   #5
Raven

I am currently:

i didnt realise there was such a thing. i will have to look into that then. thank you :)

Old 26-06-2008, 10:53 PM   #6
blondiebear

I am currently:

You're welcome. Sorry if that sounded like a scold.

Old 17-07-2008, 08:10 PM   #7
-Asphyxia-
-loser-

I am currently:

He has to ultimately want to help himself first. Treatment won't be beneficial if he doesn't want to change. Has he tried AA or anything like that in the past?

Are his BD and BPD being properly treated? He should no doubt be on medication for his bipolar, and receiving therapy for borderline symptoms, most often Dilectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) is used. He is obviously self-medicating, and if he could adequately manage his symptoms, maybe he would feel less of a need to drink.

I found an interesting artical about the relationship between the 2 disorders co-occurring here: http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/...ull/163/7/1126. It's a bit heavy considering it's from the American Journal of Psychiatry, but it suggests that individuals with these comorbid disorders represent an interaction of both biological and environmental forces. IE: Bipolar was seen as purely biological in causation, BPD environmental. (Though on the contrary, Bipolar disorder or manic episodes are often triggered by environmental factors like stress, sleep disturbance, etc.) For a long time, they didn't think these disorders could co-exist, but this article suggests that new research is examining that. They used to think that borderline was a varient of bipolar II, that it could progess into bipolar I, or that it was the physical or observable manifestation of bipolar disorder. Now they are suggesting that there is a subgroup of borderline patients who have "risk genes" for bipolar disorder, resulting the presentation of both illnesses.

(Sorry about that sidenote, but I partially looked it up for myself because I thought the 2 could not co-exist and that it had to be one or the other.)

Anyways, there is also controversy as to what "order" these types of things should be treated in. IE: Do you treat the bipolar and borderline issues first, or the alcoholism? Research shows that it's a cycle - one feeds off the other - so it's best to address everything at once.

That being said, do not approach him about treatment after he comes home from drinking. Do it when he is sober, and use lots of "I" statements to sound less blaming. Emphasize that you care about him, etc.

Also, if you haven't already done so, do research on his disorders. It's too easy and emotionally draining to view his symptoms as personal attacks/apathy towards you, anger, etc. (Trust me. I have a friend with schizophrenia and thought he hated me for the longest time and thought he was always mad at me. Not the case, but a part of his illness.) There are plenty of books, websites, and support groups out there to help you become more informed.

Finally, to some extent, I know how you feel. I was spending time with this guy last summer who would pretty much get black out drunk almost every night. He constantly would crash on my couch because he was too drunk to drive, and when I would actually be out with him, he would drink so much that he was verbally abusive to me. In front of our friends. He said stuff that is too disturbing and repulsive to repeat, quite frankly. The last straw for me was when he called me at 3:30 in the morning wanting to crash. I told him no, but before I finished my sentence he was outside my apartment complex door laying on the ground. I had to half carry/drag him up to my apartment (and I am tiny!), after which he proceeded to pass out in my bed. He woke up the next morning still drunk, gave me a ride to work, and never said thank you for helping him. Ever. I still speak with him on occasion, and actually care about him a lot. I know he could be a good person, if he just stopped drinking. I don't know if he wants to, and I used to think I could "make him" stop. Now I know I can't.

Good luck.

-Asphyxia- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 08:34 PM   #8
-Asphyxia-
-loser-

I am currently:

Also, my roommate is an alcoholic and keeps booze in a minifridge in her bedroom. On occasion, I go through phases where I drink too much, but it usually lasts only a few days and then I cut back for awhile. However, it's very frustrating having alcohol in the apartment all the time. For the most part, she's "behaved," while intoxicated, but on occasion she gets emotional and/or mean...She's totally in denial too and refuses to help herself, though she is miserable. I'm to the point where I'm just sick of giving out advice and having her A.) take it but not act, B.) dismiss it, or C.) not reciprocate when I am having trouble. I've come to realize that our relationship is very one-sided and it has become about how only I can help her. I have a feeling we may lose touch for awhile after we move to separate apartments, and that is fine with me for the time being.

-Asphyxia- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:01 PM   #9
desperate housewife

Alanon

Alanon.. definitely. I just 2 weeks ago discovered 2 of my friends were alcoholics. One of them accepts it, the other doesn't. The one that doesn't.. is the more advanced in the disease. I didn't know about alanon.. I found out thru attending an aa meeting. I have found that it really truly does help. The meetings help you to understand very quickly that you CANNOT do anything to help these people... all you can do is look after yourself. The bravery and honesty (and humour) I have encountered is astounding.. and because both aa and alanon are founded on real life experience, they somehow seem to cut thru the wave of confusion and desperation I and - am now sure - millions of others who have alcoholics in their lives will experience on a daily, if not hourly basis. I can't recommend it highly enough. It will feel like they speak a different language.. but if you persevere and keep an open mind. It helps. It has stopped me from behaving the way I would in 'normal' circumstances.. in what I would do as a loving, caring person. Those rules, and patterns of behaviour HAVE to be turned on their heads when dealing with alcoholism.
Run don't walk... to your nearest Alanon meeting... And go to some aa meetings too... it's sometimes easier to take on board what this disease is actually like if you listen to people that you are not closely related to or love... The fact that you love them, makes it easy to use the 'yes, I know they drink, but.... blah blah'. There is no but. The first love is for the bottle. All that YOU can heal, is yourself... Alanon helps you understand and deal with it.

desperate housewife is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)