RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 28-08-2019, 09:11 PM   #1
Stellata

how do people work full days/weeks?

Before my breakdown &etc I was working 28 hours a week.

Now I can barely manage 4 of voluntary work, 6 hours at a push.

I just feel so exhausted and can't focus and everything.

How do people work full days even?

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 11:27 PM   #2
Indigo.
Wir und die Todten reiten schnell.

I am currently:

I'm sorry you are upset. I can very much relate X

I wonder the same thing. Up until recently, I was working 16 hours, and that was exhausting, had to take sick days often. Now I've got more hours and I have no idea how I'm going to cope.

Wish I had some useful advice...You're not alone in feeling this way X

If I only could
make a deal with God.

Indigo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 11:34 PM   #3
chinahorse

I am currently:

It surprising what you can make yourself do when the choice is work or loose absolutely everything.

Given enough tea I could rule the world.

chinahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 12:19 AM   #4
nonperson

I am currently:

^ Yes, that.

But also it doesn't matter what other people can do. Everyone's different.

nonperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 04:20 AM   #5
Auror.
Camden

I think a lot of people who do work full time and longer days do not have similar mental or physical health struggles. Not to say that *everyone* is able bodied and mentally stable, but a larger majority of folks are, which makes them better equipped to handle that. Unfortunately, society is not built in a way that caters to neurodivergent or physically disabled folks who need more flexible types of work hours and schedules.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 09:58 AM   #6
Stellata

Thanks everyone.

I just wish I had more stamina. Maybe being underweight has more to answer for than I thought.

Last edited by Pi.R^2 : 02-09-2019 at 10:45 PM. Reason: please see your PMs
Old 30-08-2019, 03:57 AM   #7
Auror.
Camden

It's possible being underweight for your body can be impacting stamina levels, or if you have other medical issues going on those would impact it as well. Even just being anxious or stressed in general can be very energy draining.

Are you able to take breaks at all during your shift? Taking breaks and having snacks or getting outside for a few minutes can sometimes help. Also just sometimes switching tasks if there is more than one task you can do or area you can be in, changing that can sometimes help with focus as well.

Also keep in mind, stamina is often something that you have to build up over time. You wouldn't expect if you've never gone running before to do a full marathon right away. You'd have to practice to be able to do it. So if you can only manage a few hours at a time now, that doesn't mean maybe things won't change later on and you'll be more able to handle longer shifts.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 09:30 AM   #8
Stellata

Thanks. Yes, I'm very anxious and stressed, plus I am underweight.

I'm able to take breaks. But there's nowhere to go for them no staffroom, so I don't tend to bother. I eat lunch at the desk.

I keep reminding myself that I've not worked for nearly 3 years, but because of the pressure to get back to work due to my housing situation, it's hard.

Last edited by Pi.R^2 : 02-09-2019 at 10:45 PM. Reason: please see your PMs
Old 30-08-2019, 01:11 PM   #9
Eska

I am currently:

I can only speak from my own experience, so this is what I personally have found.

Firstly, though, the whole expectation that everyone should be able to work full time is messed up. The way our culture places so much value on being "productive" in an economic capitalist sense is really unfair and wrong and yeah. It's always going to be comfortable for some people and hard for others and impossible for others still, and that doesn't change your intrinsic value or worth as a person.

Anyway yes. I've done pretty much the full range, from having periods of not working or anything at all, to working part time in retail, to working/studying full time, right through to working full time office job + having uni coursework + having a weekend job on the side. Right now I do 37.5 hrs/week.

My conclusions:
1. You don't have to do stuff that would be seen as "living up to your potential". I tried for a while, and what would happen is that it would be great for a few months and then things would start to fall apart and I would burn out and have to take time out again. One of the tricky parts of having mental (or chronic/invisible physical) illness is that people tend to make assumptions about how much you can do based on what they see of you functioning, and fail to appreciate that that's often not consistent or sustainable. I'm much happier and more settled, and my mental health is better, now I do something that's comfortably within my capabilities rather than stretching to fill the most ambitious role. (By comfortably within my capabilities, I mean that my "full time" job actually involves a lot of free time/downtime where my only duty is to be at my desk and maybe answer some phone calls or whatever. As long as I'm available, it doesn't matter whether I'm doing anything or nothing.) There are full time jobs out there which really don't involve being productive the whole time you're there, and a lot of people have those. Being in work 37 (or whatever) hours a week is absolutely not necessarily the same as working for 37 hours a week.

2. Related - it's ok to do the minimum sometimes. No one is on top of their game all the time. I have days where I do the absolute essentials and nothing more and, because of the slack time I mentioned above, I can catch up when I'm more able to deal with stuff. When you' re on the outside looking in it can be easy to assume that people are putting lots of effort into their work all the time, and that's often really not true.

3. People take breaks. Generally speaking, no one works solidly for hours on end. It's not a helpful approach. Even if they don't appear to be doing anything differently, it's normal to slow down the pace of work now and then to ease off on your brain. To check your email, even if there's probably absolutely nothing new there. To make a cup of tea, chat to a colleague, look at your phone (depending on the context, obviously). To take a full lunch break, leave the building. Those aren't wasting time or slacking - it's giving your brain a break and it's a normal part of workplace culture.

3. People have teams! Again, it's not always easy to appreciate from a voluntary position, but work tends to get passed around between people. It's been absolutely critical for me sometimes - if I'm having a bad day and can't keep on top of what needs doing, work can be shuffled to other people who do have the capacity, and vice versa. It can take a while to build up the kind of relationships with your coworkers that makes it possible, but it's ok for that to happen.

4. I find it easier when I look for work that ties in with my values. Routine and stability are really important to me, and I also like doing things which involve helping people (I actually found that out working in retail). There's other stuff I enjoy and am good at, but that's not necessarily the same as it lining up with what matters to me/what I will find rewarding/an environment that will work for me.

I'm going to stop now because this is getting long and other people have already made really good points. I know I've generalised pretty wildly - I'm just trying to talk about things which maybe make it easier for the average person to hold the average job. Hopefully some of it is helpful!

It's a long way down
On this rollercoaster.

Eska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:56 PM   #10
Iamcatbug
Cat

I work full time and have multiple medical and mental health conditions. Hope sharing my experience helps.

To be honest I find working full time really does improve my mental Heath. I work a job that can be highly demanding and I find the distraction really helps.

But then I have the issue of my physical health problems. Sometimes I do find it too difficult and exhausting, but I make sure I rest between shifts which helps. I’ve had to sacrifice most of my social life, but needs must.

I am often asked why I work full time when it can and does occasionally impact on my physical health more so than my mental health, but I need the money and have no choice but to work full time.

Iamcatbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:25 PM   #11
Stellata

Thanks for sharing your experience, Cat.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:52 AM   #12
Stellata

And thank you Eska.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:01 PM   #13
glitterfairy

I have to work full time due to needing the money to live. Is it hard yes do I just have to get on with it. Yup. Otherwise I wont be able to live.

It's just a case of having to get on with it really when you have to. I do 40 hours in a busy call centre.

Call me L :)

glitterfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:28 PM   #14
yoyogirl

I am currently:

Hi

You go for what you can manage and cope with, if it means that you have to work part time or just voluntary and rest afterwards, it's fine at the end of the day you have condition that makes everyday life a struggle, it doesn't discriminate on the basis of people's status in life.

Have you ever confused a dream with life? Or stolen something when you have the cash? Have you ever been blue? Or thought your train moving while sitting still? Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it was the 60's. Or maybe I was just a girl... interrupted.
I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside. I tried groups, didn't work out just made my depression a lot worse.

yoyogirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)