Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 11-01-2019, 09:14 PM   #1
Auror.
Aurors for the win.

Getting Out of Bed/ Being Late

Hi,

I really struggle to get out of bed and not be late for things. I don't know what more I can try.

It isn't that I don't wake up. I will wake up but repeatedly hit the snooze button on my multiple alarms. I panic and get overwhelmed and cannot get out of bed. It takes me so long to get out of bed to start getting ready that by time I do I run late, and then I am late places. Plus then I am panicking even more because I am late.

I set multiple alarms on 2-3 devices for slightly different times.
I have routines for going to bed and getting up/getting ready.
I make lists and plan things out for my day in advance.

I'm at a loss. Does anyone have any suggestions? Most of the days it is really important to be up, it is so early that nobody I know is awake to ask to text me for accountability. I've done that before which has helped, but I don't have anyone who can reliably do that so early the days I need.

I am open to any suggestions if anyone has any because it has gotten so bad lately. I've been an hour late to things regularly and I don't know what to do.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:11 PM   #2
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

I really hear you, I used to be awful with getting out of bed and it made me suicidal it was that bad. Do you need to be up really early? I think what has helped me over the past while (under a year) is that I haven't been trying to get up 'normal' early like 6.30/7.30am but I have found that it suits me to get up between 8.30am and 9.30am/10am latest and that I can stick to that every day.

I know it's not always possible to choose when you need to be up to do things though. Some things that help me can be drinking lots of water through the night so I need a pee in the morning and it's too uncomfortable to lie in bed. Sunrise alarm clocks are also quite good, I like that the light goes on 30 minutes before the alarm sounds because I really don't want to hear the alarm go off so that motivates me to get up when I see that the light is on. I've never tried this but there is an app called Wakie where a stranger from somewhere in the world phones you when you want to get up and they have a brief conversation or something. It might sound a bit scary and weird but I think some people think it's great, and since you said morning texts have been helpful in the past maybe this would be good for you.

I hope you can work something out.

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

one_step_closer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:40 PM   #3
nonperson

I am currently:

I haven't got anything particularly useful to add except I do have a sunrise alarm clock and find it really useful. I can't go from waking in a dark room to suddenly being awake enough to get up, especially in winter so I set my phone alarm several times before my sunrise one so that when it wakes me up the room isn't pitch black... and then when my final alarm goes off the room is nearly daylight bright and that helps me a lot.

But ultimately the fear of being late is what makes me get up, albeit very last minute, so I'm sorry if my comment isn't helpful as I know that doesn't apply to you.

nonperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:52 PM   #4
Auror.
Aurors for the win.

Thank you both!

So it's pretty much any time I need to get up for ANYTHING, not just super early. On the weekends I work at 8:30am so I do have to be up really early. Other days it's not as early but I do still have to set alarms for getting up to go to things like therapy or work. Pretty much if I have to be there before 2 or 3pm, that means I need to get out of bed by 1pm so I need an alarm.

Yea, so I can't just not go to work or to therapy, etc.. I do actually have to be up. Anytime I don't need to be up I don't set alarms and I don't usually get out of bed until 12-1pm when my dog insists on having to go out. I really struggle to sleep and the only time I can reliably sleep is from about 7-11am, so that also makes getting up harder. But again, it's not that I am not actually awake, it's getting out of bed that's the issue. Does that make any sense?

I do try to have a drink of something before bed but I also always get up every couple of hours anyways so I often go to the bathroom or get a drink again through the night. I don't sleep more than an hour or two at a time without waking up unfortunately.

I'll look up the app Wakie to see if it will work on my ipod touch. I don't have a smart phone but I do have an ipod touch. I also cannot talk on the phone which is why texts were helpful.

I'll look up the sunrise alarm clock but given it's not that I need actually woken up, it might not be useful. Sorry if I was unclear about that. It's literally getting out of bed that is the problem, not waking up. Edit - I have looked them up. They look interesting, but given any extra light in the bedroom tends to make it hard for me to sleep, I'm unsure if something like this is a good idea. I have added it to my amazon wish list though and will maybe ask my therapist human what she thinks, as well as a friend or two. Alarm clocks in general tend to not work well for me as they add additional light to the room. That's also why I don't keep a television or anything else that emits light in my bedroom and have blackout curtains.

I hate being late and it does make my anxiety and levels of overwhelmed worse, but it's not enough that it gets me up unfortunately.

Last edited by Auror. : 12-01-2019 at 10:08 PM. Reason: added

Old 13-01-2019, 06:48 PM   #5
Pi.R^2
I always have a choice

I am currently:

Do iphone touches have cameras? (sorry if that's a silly question!). If so, the app freakyalarm is hideously unpleasant and can be set so that it doesn't stop make miscellaneous distressing sounds until you get and take a picture of, for example, a poster in a different room. That at least got me out of bed when I used it, though I sometimes also got back into bed after and of course it's a little antisocial when you live with someone so I don't use it anymore!

We’ll find a way to fight it, we always have.
It's not how tragically we suffer but how miraculously we live.

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 05:47 AM   #6
Auror.
Aurors for the win.

It does have a camera, just a crappy one. I'll look up the app and see if i can download it. Alarms aren't the issue but that would at least get me out of bed so it might be worth a shot if it works.

I need to actually get my ipod charged to see if I can download either app. *adds to to do list for tomorrow*

Old 14-01-2019, 07:37 PM   #7
Pi.R^2
I always have a choice

I am currently:

I hope one of them helps a bit! I don't know which of the Over The Sea time zones you are in, but I finish work at 14.45 UK Time so if that's a useful time for a wake up text conversation and you have whatsapp or imessage, feel free to PM me and we could exchange details if you want.

As an aside, I'm having the same kind of problems as you at the moment so do let me know if you have any successes :)

Old 15-01-2019, 12:03 AM   #8
Heartbreak Kid
Everyone deserves the chance to fly

I am currently:

So, I am not gonna be helpful, but let me say this: I feel you.
Getting up at any time of the day is painfully difficult, even on the rare occasions that I actually had enough sleep. If my boyfriend wasn't so good at kicking me out of bed I'd probably be late to every single shift and just missed all my appointments.

I manage to still be on time most of the time by skipping showers and breakfast, I can SO not recommend that though. I am also lucky enough to be able to reach most places by foot, so I just walk really fast. :P

I'll let you know if I find anything legit helpful.

Some things I cannot change
But till I try, I'll never know

Heartbreak Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 03:06 AM   #9
Auror.
Aurors for the win.

I checked, and I cannot download Wakie. My iOS is too outdated and I cannot update it further since my device is a couple of years old now.

FreakyAlarm is a paid app, and I don't know if it will work either so don't want to pay for something I can't use. I don't even know how to pay for an app?!

Jenna, I think I have imessage? Though unsure how it works without a phone number. I know whatsapp requires a phone number and smartphone so I can't download it, I have tried before.

Woe.

Thank you Lana.

Yea if I don't shower (even before I go to the barn and get dirty) it throws off my entire routine and balance for the day and I'm much more likely to have a meltdown or panic attack. So I have to shower before I go anywhere. I take multiple showers a day, they're really important to me.

Because most of my jobs are physical work (and coming from multiple years of ed treatment) I do have to prioritize eating before I go to work. So I don't think that's something I can or should skip just to save time.

Thankfully it's not the end of the world if I'm a few minutes late to my work stuff as it's not typical shift work, but for appointments and meeting people it's really important to be on time.

It's nice to know that I am not the only one though, hard as it is.

Old 15-01-2019, 06:29 PM   #10
tiptoes
Forum Mod

I am currently:

This is me too. I have so many alarms and need to account for so much snooze time.

I find that alarms that annoy me work better so end up setting them to go off every minute when I really must be getting up and out of the door. I try to make sure I always have everything ready the night before so that when I do eventually get up I know that I can be out of the house in under 10 minutes.

In my dreams I slew the dragon

tiptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 09:16 PM   #11
Auror.
Aurors for the win.

I will see if I can figure out how to adjust the snooze settings, I did not think of that. I do set all alarms for a minute or two off from one another so that they go off at different times.

I cannot just get up and leave, unfortunately, as I have my dog. So I have to take her out and feed her and give her medicine, as well as get myself ready. Without her I used to be able to get ready and leave in 10-20 minutes, but with her it takes a lot longer, usually closer to an hour.

I do try to have as many things ready as possible otherwise.

Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM   #12
Pi.R^2
I always have a choice

I am currently:

Oh, I didn't realise freakyalarm was a paid app, but it has been a long time since I downloaded it! That makes sense to not buy it when you're unsure if it will work.

I'll PM you my details to see if imessage works!

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)