RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 07-12-2016, 07:24 PM   #1
etoliena

First time here, need an advice

Hello everyone! I am new here. First of all, sorry for my grammatical mistakes, English is not my first language.
I've been wondering about one question for a while now. Is scratching considered to be self-harm?
Sometimes, especially when I'm angry or sad, I feel a strong urge to hurt myself. I cut myself but I never bleed. Scratching makes me feel much better and helps me to calm down. I like the way these scratches look and feel afterwards. I kind of enjoy the pain too.
It's not like a have a bad life. I have a best friend who is always there for me and a loving family. However, I can't help but do it even if I want to stop. I tried talking about this to my mom but she didn't take it seriously.
I like to hurt myself in other ways too. For example pinching or hitting myself in the head. Am I weird for doing that?
So, is scratching considered to be self-harm? If yes, what do I do about it? I really wish to stop but I can't.

Last edited by etoliena : 07-12-2016 at 07:56 PM.
etoliena is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Hugs Given By :
Old 08-12-2016, 10:30 PM   #2
Sketchy

I am currently:

Could you maybe speak to someone about it? It's good that you want to stop, so perhaps you need a bit of support in doing so. I'm sorry your mum didn't take you seriously. Is there someone else you can talk to?

Sketchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:26 PM   #3
Too Shy

I am currently:

As Epic said, yes, scratching is self-harm. It doesn't matter how much it bleeds or whether it doesn't bleed at all, if you are intentionally causing pain to yourself to deal with emotions, that is self-harm.

I'd really recommend that you try to speak to someone about the urges you get to do this. It does sound like you could do with some support to help you to release your emotions in healthier and less harmful ways. Have you ever found anything else helpful when you're feeling angry or sad?

Too Shy is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)