RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 06-03-2020, 10:11 AM   #1
HeatherS

The Issue is Fluids

So ... I have developed a strange disorder. When I am stressed I deny all liquids and have to keep hydrated eating salads and fruit. If I try to drink anything I gag. I can't find a name for this or any information about it as a separate thing from the other, more well known eating disorders. My doctor says it's understandable, given my history but I don't know. Does anyone else wage a personal war with fluids?

HeatherS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:05 PM   #2
Koala hugs

I am currently:

There's some thickening stuff called carobel I think. that's available online u could try that. I restrict my fluids but for different reasons so haven't had to try any thickening agents . Take care xxx

Koala hugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 12:55 AM   #3
Koala hugs

I am currently:

Glad I cud help :)

Koala hugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:28 PM   #4
Auror.
Camden

It's definitely not abnormal to struggle with fluids when you have an eating disorder. It's actually fairly common (though obviously not ideal). I know when I was in treatment I was not the only one who struggled with it, and I've known other folks online who do too.

Does drinking from a different type of cup help? For example, are you less likely to gag if you use a straw, or a mug, or a to go cup? Are different types or textures of liquids or different flavors easier than others? Are hot drinks different than cold or room temperature drinks?

For me, I really struggle with cold water, but I am okay with hot tea, iced tea, or other things. I have found I can tolerate room temperature water more easily than cold water. I also really hate straws. I also prefer things like smoothies or soups that I can have with a spoon that are higher in liquid content. It may take some trial, but if you have seen a medical doctor and they have ruled out physical causes, sometimes it's more to do with actual anxiety.

Are you getting any support for the mental health side of things?

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 04:42 AM   #5
HeatherS

I am getting some help but now that the virus has taken over, all of the counseling and stuff is online, which is far from ideal. I feel better knowing that there are others while I also feel worse knowing that other people are doing this to themselves too. Makes sense?

HeatherS is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)