RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 01-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #1
Steel Maiden
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Can't cope physically with this heat.

I have thermoregulatory dysfunction and also one of the meds I'm on prevents me from sweating sufficiently when I need to.

My body temperature has not gone below 38C for two days now. My blood pressure keeps dropping. I am constantly very lethargic and can't stand for more than ten minutes without getting cramps and severe weakness.

I drink Powerade to replace electrolytes (I am prone to low sodium levels) and I hydrate myself well I general. I try to eat properly but I have a great deal of nausea due to not being able to physically cope with the heat.

I was trying to type something for my voluntary work (I work from home) but my hands kept cramping and I was very slow.

I realise this may be heat exhaustion.

Yesterday my skin turned a shade of purple and I collapsed (but retained consciousness). That worried me as last summer 2014 I had borderline heatstroke twice, and turning purple was a symptom.

I would like any advice on how to get my temperature below 38C. I've tried cool showers, ice packs in my neck etc but as soon as that ends, I'm back to boiling.

I am well hydrated but getting weaker by the hour. I can't really get off the sofa for long atm and I'm going through periods of mild confusion.

I am aware of heatstroke danger but I cannot leave the house alone and my support worker is not visiting until Friday. So I'm stuck. I cannot talk to strangers on the phone due to selective mutism, so can't call GP.

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.
I have autism and have problems communicating, PMs included.
Just becasue I type well doesn't mean I speak well. I am only part time verbal.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:03 PM   #2
ParanormalChickenGeek

I am currently:

Paracetamol may help reduce your temperature. I'm unsure what other meds you're on so read any leaflets before taking any OTC drugs.
Aside from that, continue cold showers/ice packs. Do you have a fan? I'm currently lying down with a big fan blowing over me which helps. I do sympathise, this heat is too much!

We're all architects of our own private hell
No-one can hurt us like we hurt ourselves...

Old 01-07-2015, 06:11 PM   #3
EyelinerAndCigarettes

I am currently:

Coconut water is brilliant for hydration, it contains so many electrolytes, & is natural too. If you can get hold of it, I'd highly recommend it.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:41 PM   #4
Sneckie
RYL First Aid Advisor

I am currently:

This is the advice than the NHS give to minimise your chance of getting heat stroke!
Stay out of the heat
  • Keep out of the sun between 11am and 3pm.
  • If you have to go out in the heat, walk in the shade, apply sunscreen and wear a hat and light scarf.
  • Avoid extreme physical exertion.
  • Wear light, loose-fitting cotton clothes.
If you're travelling to a hot country, be particularly careful for at least the first few days, until you get used to the temperature.
Cool yourself down
  • Have plenty of cold drinks, and avoid excess alcohol, caffeine and hot drinks.
  • Eat cold foods, particularly salads and fruit with a high water content.
  • Take a cool shower or bath.
  • Sprinkle water over your skin or clothing, or keep a damp cloth on the back of your neck.

Many of us spend our whole lives running from feeling with the mistaken belief that you cannot bear the pain. But you have already borne the pain. What you have not done is feel all you are beyond that pain."

Kahlil Gibran

Old 03-07-2015, 02:28 PM   #5
Steel Maiden

Thank you everyone. That is helpful.

I haven't got anyone that could come to my house if I needed, as my mum is legally not allowed to enter this house, and my friend lives 50 miles away. My dad lives 1,998 miles away.

I will try the wet towel and fan combined, seeing as water evaporation carries out a lot of thermal energy.

I had a towel full of ice cubes on my neck earlier, that helped.

I'll order coconut water in my next online shop.

My dad helped me fund a portable air conditioning unit. It's arriving on Wednesday.

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:47 AM   #6
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

I hope the air conditioning unit improves things for you.
Do you have a method of contacting the emergency services that doesn't require you to talk on the phone, should that become necessary at any point?

No other sadness in the world would do

Old 08-07-2015, 08:34 AM   #7
Steel Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi.R^2 View Post
I hope the air conditioning unit improves things for you.
Do you have a method of contacting the emergency services that doesn't require you to talk on the phone, should that become necessary at any point?
The air con unit has just been delivered. Now I need to wait for C to visit to help me sort it out.

My care coordinator mentioned a special service for contafcting the emergency services that doesn't involve using a phone. I have yet to find more about it though.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:23 PM   #8
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Maybe ask your care coordinator where you can find more information, as it's essential that you can get help in an emergency.

No other sadness in the world would do

Old 13-07-2015, 06:48 AM   #9
Steel Maiden

I'll ask her tomorrow.

Old 13-07-2015, 11:25 AM   #10
Emmabob.

I am currently:

http://www.emergencysms.org.uk/ may be of some use.

Old 13-07-2015, 05:09 PM   #11
Steel Maiden

Thanks. I have registered my phone now.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)