Live Help

Forum Jump

Old 08-01-2010, 05:29 AM   #1
~AngelofLove~

I am currently:
General Medical Question - Non Urgent - Swine Flu and Pain In Knuckle

My momma and sis have swine flu, I try to stay away from them... But I am now coughing and my chest has hurt all day.. I dont think I am running a fever but I am really cold... And my nose is stuffy... And I have no insurance...

And today I was dancing with a friend at school... Well she was going to fast (doing swing) and I went to pull away and she still held my hand.. Well I swear I felt something pop in it.. Now I can barely move it cuz its stiff and its slightly swollen on the bottom part of my hand..When I straighten it, it looks like my bone has disappeared... I broke the finger when I was 5 and its slightly bruised... What can I do besides RICE?

Member of SquishySquad

2 Hugs Given By :
Old 08-01-2010, 09:52 AM   #2
vetty

I am currently:

i would call your doctor or emergency hospital, and explain what has happened. they will decide whether you have got swine flu, but from the sound of it you have probably dislocated a finger which will need 'putting back in'. RICE is good, but i wouldn't compress too much, you migt end up moving things even more.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
Aidee

I am currently:

1. For the flu, treat the symptoms, for example taking cough medicine, or medication to lower your fever. Unless you become seriously sick there is nothing doctors can do for influenza because it is a virus. That means antibiotics won't work.

2. If you can't move it and it looks deformed you need to get it looked at. Most places have urgent care clinics that are much less expensive than the ER and have x-ray capability. There may also be a low income clinic near you that you can go to. Most low income clinics charge on a sliding scale that depends on how much money you make.

Well it breaks my heart to see you this way,
The beauty in life, where's it gone?
And somebody told me you were doing okay,
Somehow I guess they were wrong.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
Animad

Also, with regarding the flu, as some people in your household have got it then it is best that you stay in the house and don't go out with your friends etc especially as you're now showing possible signs. The reason for this is to reduce the chances of you spreading it further.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:14 AM   #5
~AngelofLove~

I am currently:

i think I have it... i started having chills, horrible body aches fatigue, and my cough is getting worse.... My chest hurts really bad. and I have asthma.

Member of SquishySquad

Old 09-01-2010, 01:20 PM   #6
Animad

I don't know the provisions in place for the US; Aidey will if you PM her, but it should've been advertised but generally if you think you have swine flu you should do the same as what the rest of your family are doing, stay in with them and really don't go out as that risks it's spread. If you can get a healthy person to do your shopping (ie not pregnant/ elderly/ immunosuppressed/ have respiratory problems such as asthma) and bring that roun to the house too until after you've stopped showing the signs that would also be worthwhile but generally apart from that, staying warm and keeping yourself hydrated and eating then there is little else that can be done. However, if your breathing does worsen you do need to go and get checked out as asthma can complicate matters. There are anti-viral meds which may be given (though I don't know of their use in the US at the moment) but often they only help as a preventative or in very very early stages and often only shorten the illness by a day or 2 and their side effects also often aren't nice.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:22 PM   #7
Animad

However, having said that, I forgot about your knuckle and that really could do with being looked at. If you can call your local ER/ I think they're called Urgent Care Centres in the US that may also look at that and see what they say given the fact that you may have flu and potentially the "Swine 'Flu" type.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)