Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 12-11-2010, 08:32 PM   #21
[Purple_Rain]
Forum Mod

I am currently:

Quote:
I disagree with Florence Nightingale being there.
Why, charlie?

"I would be almighty in my own world of art, even if I had to paint my pictures with my wet tongue on the dusty floor of my cell." -Picasso
"No, painting is not done to decorate apartments. It is an instrument of war." - Picasso

'I have scars becuase I have a past; but they, like my past, do not define my future'

[Purple_Rain] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:37 PM   #22
star_shine

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeaCulpa View Post
^^ NOOOO

She was still highly influential and led britain well.
influentual yeah, but the latter is debatable...

I want to give you the world if you just stay with me tonight,
I want to give you the world if you just hold me tight!

<3 Build a fortress around my heart <3

star_shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #23
squirrelspit

I am currently:

i just dont think she was all that.

She believed that nurses should be pretty much doctors slaves.

She opposed to nursing training and disagreed with the three year training.

Also she didnt think mental health was a level of care that nurses should be involved in.

She was heavily against the sufferegette movement and when interviewed said that 'women should be wives and have no place in politics'

I just think Elizabeth Cavell, Elizabeth Fry or Mary Seacole deserve at least the same level of recognition.

squirrelspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:49 PM   #24
[Purple_Rain]
Forum Mod

I am currently:

fair enough :)

"I would be almighty in my own world of art, even if I had to paint my pictures with my wet tongue on the dusty floor of my cell." -Picasso
"No, painting is not done to decorate apartments. It is an instrument of war." - Picasso

'I have scars becuase I have a past; but they, like my past, do not define my future'

[Purple_Rain] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:55 PM   #25
BeautyFiend

I am currently:

Wait... no Simone de Beauvoir?

BeautyFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:10 PM   #26
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Who View Post
Jodie, marry me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming. View Post
Jodie, you know you are amazing, right?
*blushes* Well, I'm feeling the love guys!

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #27
frannie

I am currently:

everything in norwich seems to be named after cavell and fry you should live here! ahaha

frannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 04:28 PM   #28
MissBakesMissStakes
No, I am not such a coward.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelspit View Post

Also she didnt think mental health was a level of care that nurses should be involved in.

She was heavily against the sufferegette movement and when interviewed said that 'women should be wives and have no place in politics'

I just think Elizabeth Cavell, Elizabeth Fry or Mary Seacole deserve at least the same level of recognition.
We hear all about her in nursing school. You do have excellent points (which always bother me when we're talking about her), but honestly without her we might still be letting you have a room with 6 other people jammed in it and not bother changing your wound dressings. We also might have you stay in a room next to a sewer

"In- in return?" Snape gaped at Dumbledore, and Harry expected him to protest, but after a long moment he said, "Anything."

I'm a crow chasing a butterfly.

I must become a lion-hearted girl, ready for a fight.

MissBakesMissStakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:33 AM   #29
Minotaur
Cogito, ergo sum

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Who View Post
You do realise what state the country was in when she came to power? The winter of discontent, the IMF needing to bail out the country, a deep depression with few industries willing to negotiate on anything. No PM would have had an easy ride at that time, and she did damn well to get the country back on track.
This is exactly what young people forget when discussing Thatcherism - the context of the era. They forget that Thatcher became PM whilst Britain was going through its worst economic state since the War. Young people do not remember the havoc the likes of Arthur Scargill and his trade union cronies caused, with constant strikes going on and power cuts/fuel shortages bringing the country to a standstill - former PM Ted Heath having to declare a state of emergency (in the form of a three-day week) to conserve energy.

All most young people know about Thatcherism is that her policies made life harder in the short term. Little do they realise the long-term good she achieved in sorting out the trade unions, bringing the economy back into shape and the Soviet Union down on its knees - preventing WWIII by ending the Cold War.

It really is a sorry state of affairs to hear everyone refer to Thatcher as "the milk snatcher" when they forget the wonders she achieved. She was nowhere near perfect, but she nevertheless did a huge deal to deserve applause.

Minotaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #30
griddlebone
Head of Chat/Forum Mod.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelspit View Post

Omg youre the only person ever who doesnt think Florence was some sort of saint, I always feel sorry for Mary Seacole, especially as she wanted to work with Flo and got turned away more than 15 times by Flo because she wasnt white.

Alsoooo I think Emmeline Pankhurst should be up there instead of Thatcher,but thats just me!x

There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you.
But there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.
My spoken words.
I aint no abacus but you can count on me.

griddlebone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #31
Pi.R^2
I always have a choice

I am currently:

Is it just me or is that chimpanzee lady a little bit out of place...? Like, she sounds like a nice enough lady and all, and I guess she is influential in her own particular field, but in terms of global wellbeing, I could do without knowing that chimpanzees are omnivores...

On that note, there's a million other woman of similar levels of influence in their own niche fields, like the chimpanzee lady. It also feels like to get on this list, simply being a woman in an unusual field gets you points. Combining the chimpanzee lady's influence in a niche market thingy, and bonus points for being a woman in an unexpected place, Clara Schumann should also make the list. She was a bit of a legend mind you and very influential in her male-dominated field.

But then again, women is science, politics etc get influence bonus points for setting precedent for more women to follow in their shoes. So maybe it's fair that these women get extra credit.

Also, influential doesn't neccessarily mean 'good', so even if you think Margaret Thatcher was a dick, you could probably still agree that she was influential. In that vein, Myra Hindley has certainly changed the way we view women in crime...

Last edited by Pi.R^2 : 10-11-2012 at 11:58 AM. Reason: realised I was being a bit of a dick.

We’ll find a way to fight it, we always have.
It's not how tragically we suffer but how miraculously we live.

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #32
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

Not a fan of Florence Nightingale but agree she did a lot for our understanding of spreading infection etc.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

[''There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'I wish I was the monster you think I am.'

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #33
Feel_Good_inc.
I am a leaf on the wind; watch how I soar

I am currently:

I can't believe a zombie thread has taken off like this.

Don't be fooled by my smooth skin. The deepest scars are the ones unseen.
Remember compliments you received, forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how..~ Baz Lurhman.
Letting it get to you - You know what that's called? Being alive. Best thing there is. Being alive right now that's all that counts. ~ Doctor Who "The Doctors Wife"
06.November.2011

Feel_Good_inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #34
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

^ Wonders never cease.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

[''There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'I wish I was the monster you think I am.'

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #35
happywondering
выродок

James Callghan helped ruin the country some more between 76-79, when Thatcher came in she did things for the long term gain.

Too many of these people are massively religious *shifty eyes* And what about the suffragettes? They did more than Joan of Arc

Never forget what you are for the rest of the world will not.
Wear it like armor and it can never be used to hurt you

happywondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #36
Minotaur
Cogito, ergo sum

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happywondering View Post
James Callghan helped ruin the country some more between 76-79, when Thatcher came in she did things for the long term gain.

Too many of these people are massively religious *shifty eyes* And what about the suffragettes? They did more than Joan of Arc
Wilson & Callaghan were both bad PMs - gave in to the trade unions, thinking that they could appease them that way. But they were wrong - the trade unions were relentless, constantly demanding more and more, getting workers to go on strikes when they didn't even want to. Giving into Scargill et al. only encouraged them further. It was due to the trade unions that Heath failed as PM - he tried to sort them out by doing too much too quickly, making the unions panic. That's why Thatcher had to tread on eggshells with them, making only modest legislation against them at first and slowly upping the ante. Her policy definitely worked - the unions were much weaker by 1990 when she stopped being PM, never being able to again wreak havoc like they did in the 1970s.

And I agree with everyone - why isn't Emmeline Pankhurst on the list?!

Minotaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #37
Flem Fatale
Leo Pard?

I am currently:

Holy crap this is like 2 years dead!

BBBBBRRRRRAAAAAIIIINNNNSSSSSS...

The world is just illusion always trying to change me.
You will find wonder wherever you can, and spread joy whenever you are able.

I felt emotions of gentleness and pleasure, that had long appeared dead, divide within me. - Frankenstein.

Flem Fatale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #38
effervescence
tired

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
This is exactly what young people forget when discussing Thatcherism - the context of the era.
I agree. It's frustrating.

Not sure about "the virgin Mary" being on there, but hey ho.

Even as the stone of the fruit must break
that its heart may stand in the sun,
so must you know pain.

There are only two ways in which one can live their life. One is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is.

effervescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:50 AM   #39
effervescence
tired

I am currently:

And of course this thread has taken off, RYL loves a good healthy debate!

I think it's good to have "the chimpanzee lady" on here, it adds balance. Not everything "influential" has to do with politics or health/science, the natural world is a big part of this planet and humans' place in the world, and learning more about it, particularly about conservation, is important.

Even as the stone of the fruit must break
that its heart may stand in the sun,
so must you know pain.

There are only two ways in which one can live their life. One is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is.

effervescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:02 PM   #40
happywondering
выродок

Also, I never actually paid any attention to when this thread was posted when replying. I think i had just woken up

Never forget what you are for the rest of the world will not.
Wear it like armor and it can never be used to hurt you

happywondering is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)