RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-11-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
Puck
Ultreya

I am currently:
"Do you have a Disability?" on a CV..

Well im not sure what to put in that one EVER this is my first job application and its just im not sure whether i have to declare certain things as i know some of it can have great impact but i dont want to lose my chance of the job. Do i have to declare mental health problems (PTSD and Psychotic Depression also medication?)... i'd rather not but i know some of my problems that can come with them a rather humiliating and can have a huge impact on me.... let alone the fact that they're visible to anyone around. The other thing is though i have CFS (chronic fatigue) and at times this can completely wipe me for a day or so.. i wont have the energy or ability to even get out of bed or be able to be stimulated on any means.. i can be completely physically wiped from it. Im not really sure as to what to put or what not, any advice?

"It is not the strength of the body that counts, but the strength of the spirit"
-J.R.R Tolkien

Puck is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 03-11-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
rockaroni
Captain Rainbow!!!

I am currently:

Basically I don't put it on my CV. But if asked on an application I do put it on, and I definitly put it on when filling out paperwork when I've got a job. It is better for your company to be aware, so they can do their best to work with you/your illness(es) and if necessary, compromises can be made and so on. At the end of the day, legally they can't discriminate about mental health things. But if you don't declare it, it can come back to bite you.

Wake me up before I change again
Remind me the story that I won't get insane
Tell me why it's always the same
Explain me the reason why I'm so much in pain.

rockaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:30 PM   #3
shadow-light
He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon

I am currently:

i hve been in so so so much trouble in the past for not declaring mental health issues of applications...
basically if you don't declare them and then they effect your work/ability to work in any way then there is little they can do to help/accomodate you... I lost my last job in part due to not decaring things...

shadow-light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:48 PM   #4
Ninja Orange

I am currently:

if it's on an application, I'd definately mention the CFS. The mental health issues, there's sometimes a separate question for those, and it's completely up to you if you want to declare them.
I wouldn't include it on a CV though. That's not the purpose of a CV.

Ninja Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:29 PM   #5
startingagain

If the application form asks, then you need to say yes. I need reasonable adjustments for my job i.e. I have to leave early to attend counselling, and work are fine about it. You would lose your job if you lied and they found out.

startingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:45 AM   #6
suspendeddisconnect

I think you have to balance do you want no help from your job but a better chance at getting a job or some help but limit your job options? I have been discriminated against for mental health issues, so I don't really tell jobs about my mental health problems. But it also means I don't get extra support from them. So it's really up to you and whether you want a supportive job or the ability to get a job faster. Does that make sense?

Old 04-11-2009, 03:22 AM   #7
ThinkingofRecovery

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaroni View Post
Basically I don't put it on my CV. But if asked on an application I do put it on, and I definitly put it on when filling out paperwork when I've got a job. It is better for your company to be aware, so they can do their best to work with you/your illness(es) and if necessary, compromises can be made and so on. At the end of the day, legally they can't discriminate about mental health things. But if you don't declare it, it can come back to bite you.
^This^

I have been applying for alot of jobs lately and do not mention it unless there is a question on the application form re health. I'm not sure if you saw it but there was a big legal case a few months ago for a council worker who had not declared a health problem.

I don't draw attention to it but if asked directly, feel that it is necedssary to mention (more so b/c I can't work on Tuesdays as I attend a TC on that day)

"Everything is possible through Christ, who gives me strength". Phillipians 4:13

ThinkingofRecovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:50 PM   #8
xXMessedUpXx
And broken once more

I am currently:

i'm not sure what i'd do. in the past i didn't declare it but only cos at the time i wasn't under treatment for it. right now i feel i'd have to, i get DLA anyway and feel that it would possibly affect work so i should tell them.

Life Is Like A Beautiful Melody Only The Lyrics Are Messed Up

xXMessedUpXx is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)