RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 01-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #81
overcome.

I am currently:

I had mixed feelings watching it. I agree as a male, it was interesting to see there wasn't really anything about any males in there. Overall I liked it, I'm looking forward to watching the second episode tonight. It did bring back feelings of when I was in a similiar unit, but overall it's good to raise awareness via a programme like this. I know a lot of people hit out about the programme saying it focused on teens in a vulnerable position, I don't really know what to think on that.

Everything passes, everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.

overcome. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #82
secret squirrel

I am currently:

I will watch it tonight, even though I found last week's episode upsetting. the one thing I would like to see more of is the kind of treatment that the young people are receiving. Emma,the girl with OCD obviously improved enough to be discharged, but it would be interesting to see whether she had therapy and what kind. And how are they going to help Beth with her ED? Just having someone with her when she eats is not going to be enough to help her in the long-term. Hopefully we will see more tonight.

the ward seemed ok, better than the adult wards I've been on. But I hope the new building is better. The food looked disgusting though!

secret squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #83
The Stolen One
Caz

I am currently:

I just read the bit radiotimes has for the desciprtion of the programme

It'll be looking into Beth and her ED again but it'll also be self harm triggering.. be careful guys!

There will always be a happy ending. If its not happy then its not yet the end.
Spongebob

The Stolen One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #84
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

To those who complain about the lack of males: next week they're going to focus on two boys with voices inside their head.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #85
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

Looking forward to tonight's episode as last one was really interesting.

Makes me feel for the patients though. I hope they are ok now.

The average,
well-adjusted adult
gets up at 7.30am feeling just plain terrible.

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Ballerina123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #86
tilly_bear

I found it triggering but I'm looking forward to tonights

tilly_bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #87
Faulty item

I darent watch it , i can only think of negativity .

Faulty item is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #88
FranticMind

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballerina123 View Post

Makes me feel for the patients though. I hope they are ok now.
beth is doing really well, she has nearly beaten her eating disorder and she has stopped self harming as much.
gill is back in hospital though, she ODed.

FranticMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #89
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

^I got the impression that Gill preferred the safety and structure of the unit compared to her family and life on the outside. It's good to hear Beth is doing better; it was seeming rather negative in the last episode.

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #90
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

I'm glad Beth is doing well. Worried for Jill though.

The average,
well-adjusted adult

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #91
x-Silvermist-x
elohvee-e

I am currently:

I am watching tonights episode. I can't begin to imagine what Crystal is going through.

When life gets you down do you know what you've gotta do?

Just keep swimming.

x-Silvermist-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #92
__T

I am currently:

I'm watching it now, a very good eye opener for what it's like inside. I feel sorry for Crystal especially.

__T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #93
secret squirrel

I am currently:

I was impressed that they didn't go down the easy route with Krystal and medicate her with antipsychotics; instead looking at her life history for reasons why she is experiencing hallucinations. And it seemed to have a good outcome - she isn't unecessarily drugged up to her eyeballs and she's back home with her family and going to school, like your average 14 year old.

The staff there seem really nice and warm. If only adult psych wards were like that.

secret squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #94
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret squirrel View Post
I was impressed that they didn't go down the easy route with Krystal and medicate her with antipsychotics; instead looking at her life history for reasons why she is experiencing hallucinations. And it seemed to have a good outcome - she isn't unecessarily drugged up to her eyeballs and she's back home with her family and going to school, like your average 14 year old.

The staff there seem really nice and warm. If only adult psych wards were like that.
I totally agree with this. I wish they would do that on adult psych wards.

The average,
well-adjusted adult

Call me Kate.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #95
x_fallingfast_x
I'm all alone in a world that wont shut up!

I am currently:

I love the insight that # don't call me crazy, has brought to the general public. I agree with others that adult units are very different but this series brings mental health awareness a long way from what it is/was! By the looks if it there is some stories about young males in the unit, as mental illness can affect and does affect anyone!

On the other hand I have found this series very triggering and in my twisted way used it to deliberately to cause myself harm

But I still believe that the series was a good idea

There is a beginning and an end to my story, but I am stuck somewhere between chapters

x_fallingfast_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:34 PM   #96
x-Silvermist-x
elohvee-e

I am currently:

I found the programme tonight interesting and I was pleased that Crystal got to go home and that Gill reestablished contact with her family. I thought that showing the teenagers self-harm was unnecessary.

When life gets you down do you know what you've gotta do?

Just keep swimming.

x-Silvermist-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #97
yoyogirl

I am currently:

Getting to stable weight doesn't mean she's beaten it

Have you ever confused a dream with life? Or stolen something when you have the cash? Have you ever been blue? Or thought your train moving while sitting still? Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it was the 60's. Or maybe I was just a girl... interrupted.
I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside. I tried groups, didn't work out just made my depression a lot worse.

yoyogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:23 AM   #98
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorbladekisses View Post
I thought that showing the teenagers self-harm was unnecessary.
Unfortunately because to people who don't self harm it can be shocking or whatever they will be inclined to show things like that, as it's just the way the media works, the more shock etc, the more people watch.

I thought it was interesting and agree with you Sophia, re. Gill, although obviously can't say for sure.

The look on Beth's face when Gill was getting off the section and she wasn't broke my heart though, I know that feeling, even just watching others going off the unit for leave/walk round the grounds is galling when you are on section and/or one to ones and such. What seemed cruel to me in one of the units I was in was that where the women who were allowed grounds leave often chose to sit was within eyesight from behind the fence of the enclosed place we had to smoke in, so we'd be watching them having a ball through the fence while we were stuck in there (nice as they made it, to me I still felt caged). Took.the.piss.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

['There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.’ – Oscar Wilde
‘It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back.’ Sydney Carter

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:50 AM   #99
The Unicorn

I am currently:

I saw this. I cried. I know people from here who have been in, and i honestly don't think that the staff were really great. Telling that poor dear that "your family will feel awful like they failed you" (or similar words) to force her to eat was awful.

She shouldn't eat because of guilt, she should eat because she wants to. I don't feel the staff helped her towards that.

The Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #100
_wendy_
meaningless

I am currently:

I watch it, but find it very difficult. from a professional point of view I work with teenagers like this in mainstream school. I have a lot of meetings with CAMHS and EHWT and social care, as to how to support these students, in and out of hospital. However, also from a personal point of view I find it interesting the difference between adolescent units and adult units. especially having just got out yesterday.
a do conflict between my professional life and personal life, but it does have its benefits too. I don't get triggered by things, like someone else said, its me that causes my SH, my life that's messed up. there seems to be a lot more support for adolescents, which is great, just wish it spread to the adult world of mental health!

Qualified Peer Support Worker (2017)

current mental health diagnoses: depression, PTSD, GAD, self harm, bpd

current meds (as at Feb 2017): , thyroxine, metformin, iron, b12, vit d, atenolol, Butec, Naproxen, Nefopam, Lanzoprazole, Bupropion, quetiapine (prn)

_wendy_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)