RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 05-03-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
Celticroots

I am currently:
Wound Care Question - Band-aids

I cut not long ago. I've been covering them with band-aids. But the band-aids have been irritating the surrounding skin. The same happens with medical tape when I cover cuts with gauze.

Are there band-aids or medical tape available that won't irritate my skin?

Old 05-03-2014, 07:50 PM   #2
Bishop
This Member is currently Banned

I am currently:

I have the same issue.
Tagederm and Opsite dressings are wonderful!
But, those are in the UK - not sure if they're available where you live?

If not, try various types of med tape & if all else fails - use antihistamines short term

Old 06-03-2014, 01:24 AM   #3
Celticroots

I am currently:

Thank you. I am in the U.S. But I am sure there is something exactly what you described only under a different name that I could get.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
Animad

I'll Repeat the same as above (though I would not suggest using the ones that affect you and just adding antihistamines as that could lead to your reaction worsening over time and not being controlled and as well as that you cut may not heal as well and it isn't advisable to take medications all of the time (unless you've discussed it with your doctor)).

Another thing that you could do is hold the dressing in place with a bandage. You may also find that for small cuts only that aren't gaping that a 'spray on plaster/ bandaid' helps. Sorry, don't know any trade names of these in the US. Otherwise try different types of dressing/ tape and different manufacturers and you may find 1 that helps. If that fails you could see a doctor and see if they gave any idea of a good 1 that may help you or speak to a pharmacist about what products they ave available. It foes sound like you're allergic to either the adhesive or the plastic/ fabric backing though; most likely the adhesive.

You're not allergic to latex are you? If so or you are unsure then look for latex free versions but most dressings on the market are latex free

Old 07-03-2014, 12:43 AM   #5
Celticroots

I am currently:

Thank you. I will definitely try to find some of those. Or talk to my GP at my next appointment to see if she has some suggestions.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:16 AM   #6
~invisible~girl~

I've found Band-Aid brand to the best as far as irritation, and easy of removal. For medical tape, I like Johnson & Johnson Waterproof Tape, though the "paper" takes might come off a bit more easily or with less irritation, cause they're not as sticky. Of course, these tend to be the most expensive brands. But I have found Band-Aid brand bandaids at the dollar store before!

Another option is to use gauze, and wrap the area with rolled gauze to hold it in place. That shouldn't irritate the surrounding area at all.

For what it's worth, I once had a bandaid from a vaccination that left a sore spot on my arm for probably about a week after it came off! Ever since then, I always have my own bandaids whenever I need a shot, and the doctors generally let me use them. (I also carry them in my purse anyway, cause I babysit small children, so bandaids, with "cool" characters on them, are a basic necessity)

Emily

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This Is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:29 AM   #7
KariNicole

I am currently:

I'm no medic but it sounds like you might have an allergy to whatever is in the bandaids and medical tape you are using. Have you always experienced irritation with them? Does it differ depending on the brand or product you use? I would assume that the bandages and medical tape you buy list what they are made out of, I would look at them and see if there is any sort of common ingredient in them that you could be allergic to such as the material or the adhesive itself. Other than that, I recommend going to your doctor if this is an ongoing problem because it sounds like from what you've said that you could have developed an allergy. I assume this isn't due to regular stretching and movement of the bandages, if you're going on here. I know with me once or twice that has happened - the bandage is in an area that gets moved too much and because of that it gets irritated.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:31 AM   #8
Celticroots

I am currently:

I've had this happen before, although my pants rubbed up against the area, so that's why it may have been irritated. I will check my band-aid and brands of medical tape, as well as look for different brands the next time I go to the store.

Thanks guys.

Old 15-03-2014, 09:57 AM   #9
dizzy_cow

I am currently:

another thing to consider is getting a roll of stockinette to hold gauze in place. this has proven very comfortable and easy to use for me. just make sure its not too tight.

Old 16-04-2014, 11:10 PM   #10
LilMissEmma
This Member is currently Banned

I am currently:

Gauze and bandages are awesome :)

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)