RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
butterfly1222

I am currently:
Help With Parents?

My parents found out about me cutting myself a little over 7 months ago and said that it was ok as long as I never did it again. I was ok for about 5 months but then I cut again, and again, and again and now I'm back into the habit. I'm too afraid that I'm going to get in trouble with my parents to just tell them(I'm also afraid that they are going to find out) and I don't want to go through what I went through last time they find out.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach this with my parents?

butterfly1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Hugs Given By :
Old 29-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
elmrnh

I am currently:

I would be honest. Assuming you have a typical relationship with your parents and there is nothing in the way of abuse going on etc. the truth is the best way to go. The consequences probably won't be as bad as you think they will.. And the consequences that could come from self harm are far greater then them getting upset. I know it's a scary thing.. I've been there. But if you think telling them will be helpful, go for it! Maybe start out by saying "I need to tell you something and I know you will be upset, but I need you to not yell at me (or whatever else). I want this to change and that's why I'm telling you"

elmrnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
Celticroots

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmrnh View Post
I would be honest. Assuming you have a typical relationship with your parents and there is nothing in the way of abuse going on etc. the truth is the best way to go. The consequences probably won't be as bad as you think they will.. And the consequences that could come from self harm are far greater then them getting upset. I know it's a scary thing.. I've been there. But if you think telling them will be helpful, go for it! Maybe start out by saying "I need to tell you something and I know you will be upset, but I need you to not yell at me (or whatever else). I want this to change and that's why I'm telling you"

^

This.

Celticroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
Rilic
Loon

I am currently:

I wish you the best outcome with your parents. I agree with just being open and honest, and no matter how bad the immediate consequence may be (anger, upset, disappointment), it will be for the best in the long run.
Good luck

"Alright, gang. I'll ignore that some of you are late... if you ignore that I'm the latest."

Rilic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 11:56 PM   #5
BonBon
And you bleed just to know you're alive

I am currently:

I had an almost identical situation ....in may a director saw, asked me, told them, then they kinda left me alone about it until my mom saw a new cut in ocotober, and the whole thing kinda started up again. It was kinda awful, I won't deny it, but to be entirely honest, they will find out at some point. the sooner you make it the sooner it'll be over.

good luck!
:)

BonBon is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)