RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 09-12-2014, 07:49 AM   #1
blue_eternity

I am currently:
Cat People vs Dog People

So this might be a strange discussion starter...

I'm trying to decide whether I like dogs or cats better. I have both, and some days I would say I'm a dog person, and others I'm more into cats. I feel like a lot of times being a cat or a dog person reflects a persons personality. So... I've just sort of been thinking about that because it was the best thing I could think of to think of.

blue_eternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:33 PM   #2
Isoverity

I am currently:

I've sort of correlated dogs and cats with men and women. I never used to like cats too much until I saw them as young girls see them (plus I have a cat I like). Cats are orderly and dainty - dogs are slobs and make a lot of noise. Dogs will guide the blind while Cats hunt vermin. Dogs will protect an owner while a cat is likely to just watch. They each have their points. One curious thing I read was from a book by a New York City medical examiner. She said when animal owners die alone in the house the dog will just sit by the body until someone comes. Cats will try to eat the owner after enough time unfed.

"Not all those who wander are lost" Tolkien

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:56 PM   #3
blue_eternity

I am currently:

That's really interesting, and I can totally see the thing about the dead owner.

I don't know about the gender thing though. I know a lot of guys who are cat people, and a lot of girls who are dog people. I think more so than the other way around even. I feel like a lot of times cats are for the more solitary of people, and dogs are for the social ones.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:47 AM   #4
Tig

I have both and I don't know, for me, I don't think I could say either way.

Both animals have their different qualities and in a way, I find they actually compliment each other - for the owner anyway. Not sure my cat would agree that in any way, shape or form does the dog compliment her!

Tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:10 AM   #5
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_eternity View Post
That's really interesting, and I can totally see the thing about the dead owner.

I don't know about the gender thing though. I know a lot of guys who are cat people, and a lot of girls who are dog people. I think more so than the other way around even. I feel like a lot of times cats are for the more solitary of people, and dogs are for the social ones.
That could be (about the solitary owners). As for male/female comparison - I didn't so much mean men like to own cats and vice versa - its more about the animals natures. Cats have a kind of sensuous quality. They are often gliding around or caressing furniture with their bodies. They sit in tidy positions with their paws tucked under. Dogs can just kind of bang around around. There's an old quote I like that states "Men are deeds and women are poetry". I see dogs and cats the same way. Dogs sniff for bombs, guard buildings. protect people etc. Cats tip a little more elegant and cant be bothered doing anything grunty -aside from killing a bird etc (which many cats then leave at the door like a trophy)

Last edited by Isoverity : 13-03-2020 at 08:23 PM.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:01 AM   #6
blue_eternity

I am currently:

Huh.. that's true.

If that's the case then I have a dog who thinks she's a cat.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:42 PM   #7
Unbreakable.
We can try. We can always try.

I am currently:

You say Cat People I think

sorrynotsorry

And just to stay on topic, I like both and I just like them for different reasons.
It's a little bit how I'm a leg person as well as an arm person. I want it ALL!

the sun

the moon

the truth

Unbreakable. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:35 PM   #8
wi-nter

I am currently:

oh it's so interesting to read stuff from people who actually don't have a favorite. because i feel like almost everyone does? most people know right away if you ask them

i personally am the catest person a person can be (yup i totally made that word up). my family has always had cats and dogs scare me. i really don't like dogs and i don't even know how to treat them??? like i dpn't know how to pet them it's super awkward. i always pet them like i pet my cats but their head is so much bigger and ugh its weird ;)

pain breeds wolves
joys give rise to moons

wi-nter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:59 PM   #9
blue_eternity

I am currently:

oohhh... someone who has an opinion on the matter! :)

The thing about petting dogs vs a cat is you don't usually have to worry about being gentle. Actually, I don't pet my dogs so much as scratch them or cuddle their entire head with both of my hands.

You can't really do that with cats.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:07 PM   #10
wi-nter

I am currently:

oh you can though. when my cats are cuddly (usually around 11pm when i am tired haha) they just cant get enough and one of my cats even loves it when i lay almost on top of her and then we bump heads and she is the cutest.

so yeha i am 110% a cat person. dogs are so smelly :/

pain breeds wolves
joys give rise to moons

Old 10-12-2014, 10:44 PM   #11
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_eternity View Post
oohhh... someone who has an opinion on the matter! :)

The thing about petting dogs vs a cat is you don't usually have to worry about being gentle. Actually, I don't pet my dogs so much as scratch them or cuddle their entire head with both of my hands.

You can't really do that with cats.

Dogs are rougher but I've found some cats can like firm pets on the head/neck area. I think cats even bite each other on the neck when mating! I've found some cats love belly rubs and others really don't. Cats are more picky

Old 10-12-2014, 11:53 PM   #12
Voldemort

I'm a cat person. Hands down. I have cats and a dog but I didn't get a choice in the dog and wouldn't have one had I had the option. I wouldn't get rid of her and I guess I like her well enough but my affinity is with cats.

Voldemort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:05 AM   #13
blue_eternity

I am currently:

Everybody associates cats with being smarter, but are they smarter or do they just have more attitude?

Old 11-12-2014, 08:09 AM   #14
Serendipity.
fabulous.

Pfft. We have had lots of cats (my parents currently have three) and there's no way they're smarter than dogs. They're really thick. They just go through life acting like they're super smart and fool everyone :P

"I know you're sad, so I won't tell you to have a good day. Instead, I advise you to simply have a day.
Stay alive, feed yourself well, wear comfortable clothes, and don't give up on yourself just yet.
It'll get better. Until then, have a day."

Serendipity. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 12:05 AM   #15
Tig

Yep, I have to agree with Hannah haha, it's brilliant. Cats definitely act smart but it seems very much only related to food.

Dogs however can be pretty smart, well depending on breed and each character but generally seem to be a lot more intelligent. We have a 7 month old puppy who can open the doors and drawers (very helpful of him...) and has also learnt lots of other things which I'd rather he hadn't!
On the plus though, he's also intelligent in positive helpful ways.

My cat is still gorgeous though as a disclaimer!

Tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:29 AM   #16
Katie Smith
fight for your happiness

I am currently:

I think it is related to your personality type as the dog and cat are at poles with each other. Less extroverted people stick with cats- they are more independent, rely less on humans and share that in common with introverts. Dogs suit more extroverted people as they crave attention. A study shows that there may be a correlation between introverts and mental health problems. Therapy dogs could help with anxiety and challenge their worries.

Katie Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:38 AM   #17
Animad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoverity View Post
Dogs are rougher but I've found some cats can like firm pets on the head/neck area. I think cats even bite each other on the neck when mating! I've found some cats love belly rubs and others really don't. Cats are more picky
Yes, that's to hold the female down, it's not an affectionate thing, cat mating is far from that and they do it out of functionality. I also don't agree with the personality difference mentioned that dogs are dirtier/ lazy, I've met far more cats that sit around and do nothing all the time and need to have a lot of motivation to do so rather than dogs and have also found a lot of dogs which will spend a lot of time cleaning themselves, even compared to cats.

I'm a dog person though I can see why people like cats, Im just from a family that in the whole doesn't tend to like them.

Animad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:15 PM   #18
Harley's Dad

Good luck to those who enjoy their cats - I find them graceful and charming. But there's little doubt in my mind that cats seem to be a lot more self-centred than dogs.

In contrast, a working dog has a much closer relationship with man/woman, be it a guide dog, a search dog or a shooting dog. There is shared purpose between dog and human which I don't think is equalled in the cat/human relationship. I admit that I do sometimes think that a Siamese might be an elegant addition to the household but, apart from the elegance, what would we really get out of it? On the other hand having lost our lab bitch not long ago, I'm clear that another dog would really add something to the family - indeed the family is incomplete without a dog ...

Tony (on the brink of a big decision).

Never surrender.

Harley's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #19
wi-nter

I am currently:

cats don't take your ****, that's the difference really.
don't they say that dogs, much like kids, always come back to you no matter how horrible you treat them? cats would never do that, they would piss right off and never come back. they can take care of themselves, dogs need you to walk them.

pain breeds wolves
joys give rise to moons

Old 13-12-2014, 12:06 AM   #20
FabulousMike
Proud Union Activist.

I am currently:

Dogs are better....The End.

FabulousMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)