RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 20-04-2012, 06:21 AM   #1
Laurakins

I am currently:
How to help someone with ed

Hi everyone,
recently my roommate has been telling me that she is having trouble eating. She says she just does not feel comfortable in her body and has not been eating a lot and then goes running right after she does eat. I don't think she has an eating disorder at the moment, but she has really low self esteem and I can see this escalating if she doesn't get help.
I don't have an ED, I self injure, so I don't really know how to help my friend with this situation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. What did or do your friends do to help you?

They tell me I'm killing myself. I tell them, I'm keeping myself alive.

Laurakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
bleeding black
lost boys

I am currently:

Hi.
I think it's great you want to support your friend.
I think an important thing is to listen to her, listen to what's going through her mind. Remind her that eating is essential to having a healthy mind and body, and that if she isn't eating or isn't eating enough she is going to get weaker and weaker emotionally and physically. She could also end up in serious medical trouble with organs giving out, and having to go to an ED unit or she may just collapse one day. Remind her of the logic.
Also encourage her to seek professional help because as you said this could easily escalate.

Hope you and your friend are ok.
I'm sorry if I'm not much help.

bleeding black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
Gone.

Hi,

Please make sure that you look after yourself as well as helping your friend. I know that sounds a bit harsh for me to say as the immediate thing in my comment but sometimes we can get so carried away in supporting someone, we can lose what's going on with ourselves and end up feeling a lot worse as a consequence.

That being said, you sound a wonderful friend to have. Your friend is lucky to have you by your side and it sounds as though she is aware of this somewhat, as she told you that she has trouble eating. Whether it is or isn't an eating disorder isn't especially important, it's just a couple of words and doesn't really change anything, your friend is struggling with what she's feeling.

Perhaps you could suggest that she speak to someone professional, make a post on here or email the RYL Supporters (support@recoveryourlife.com). Have you asked her why she isn't happy with what she looks like and encouraged her to talk about it with you? Don't push it, just let her know that you are there for her if she needs you to be. Having someone that is willing to support can mean the world.

Take care.

Left.

Gone. is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)