RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 17-05-2015, 11:17 PM   #21
Shehurtme
This Member is currently Banned

Appropriate comment in phone conversation with acquintance

At my new job, I'm a fast food cashier and one day, got almost every customer's order wrong when it was crazy busy. They were upset with me.

The next day, on my day off, I called a colleague from my old job (who is now kinda like friend) and complained about this. She talked me through this issue.

In the middle of that phone call, there was an interruption and she said she'd have to call me back. Half an hour later, she did, and explained her former bf passed out on the couch bc he drinks every night. She had to complete an important errand that he couldn't.

I responded sarcastically, "Well he sounds like a responsible person." We then talked about that for some time and then got off the phone. It ended well. But I still wonder if that comment was ok to make about him being irresponsible.

Shehurtme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 11:19 PM   #22
chinahorse

I am currently:

Ok the card issue, I could see where you'd feel like a miscommunication happened.

With the shoot me statement, you kind of have to use your common sense a little. No company can tell you how to behave in every possible scenario. In your uniform you are an ambassador of the company and the brand and they'd want you to be curteous and respectful at all times as a bare minimm.

Given enough tea I could rule the world.

chinahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 11:23 PM   #23
Shehurtme

yeah I know now lol. But everyone has stuff they don't know so idk why ppl assume I know the stuff I don't.

Old 17-05-2015, 11:25 PM   #24
chinahorse

I am currently:

People assume you'd use your common sense a little. I work fast food too and know what a rushed and pressurised environment it can be, we all make mistakes, managers included. Sometimes its easy to forget who knows what.

Given enough tea I could rule the world.

chinahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 11:27 PM   #25
Shehurtme

Thx. Now I get it. These things belong to common sense lol.

Old 17-05-2015, 11:36 PM   #26
Aardbei
Forum Mod

I am currently:

Maybe try and think about these things from the other side. If you were buying something and your card got declined, would you want the person serving you to shout that out across the shop? I expect you would feel embarrassed and wouldn't want attention being drawn to the fact that your card had been declined.

Secondly, if you were an employer, how would you feel if one of your employees was shouting things like 'shoot me'? Would you perhaps feel that employee wasn't very professional? When at work you have to be on your best behaviour.

Aardbei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 12:00 AM   #27
Iamcatbug
Cat

I'm sure if it hadn't been ok to make that comment your friend might have commented during the conversation.

Iamcatbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 12:33 AM   #28
Crysainta

The manner in which you wrote this feels like you do in fact know why what you did was inappropriate, but you don't want to take responsibility for it. Perhaps it is a maturity issue.

Crysainta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 11:50 AM   #29
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

I agree with Cat above. If they didn't appear harmed by the comment I wouldn't worry about it. It depends on how she feels about this person and if she agrees with you.

If he drinks to excess every night he might have a problem with alcohol, so maybe in the future don't comment on it, as you don't know his story. Just saying for the future.

Honestly I say stupid things and put my foot in it all the time, in the end you have to just think if you have offended someone, to apologise, and forgive yourself too. But in this case it doesn't sound like she gave your comment much second thought and wasn't upset by it. If she was frustrated with his irresponsibility then it may have even been comforting for you to show you understood.

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 01:09 PM   #30
Shehurtme

THx guys. I should really tread carefully in the future tho. lol

Old 18-05-2015, 05:52 PM   #31
Isoverity

I am currently:

Maybe you have some traits of Asperger's. You seem to make small things into big things and bigger things into smaller things - while seeming mystified you create reactions in others with your chaotic manner

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

Last edited by Isoverity : 18-05-2015 at 05:58 PM.

"Not all those who wander are lost" Tolkien

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 08:05 PM   #32
Field Of Paper Flowers
Random Hero

I would say learn from it and don't do it again... I work with someone who does things like this and it is frustrating but he has learning difficulties so we can somewhat... Ignore it. But he does get a good telling off!

I personally wouldn't want someone knowing my card declined, I'd be embarrassed but I wouldn't hide my annoyance with the member of staff either.

In future, just ask another member of staff to stick around whilst you're getting used to the job, which they SHOULD do anyway.

And with saying "shoot me"? Don't do that... Unless you REALLY know the staff well enough for them to know you're kidding.

My staff and I get on really well and if I said something like that they would joke with me about it (call me a drama queen, etc).

Field Of Paper Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 10:02 PM   #33
Iamcatbug
Cat

Given you have to be 16 to work in fast food it is kind of expected that you are mature enough to realise what is not acceptable to say in uniform.

Why has this suddenly become a big issue?

Old 20-05-2015, 09:20 AM   #34
Shehurtme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcatbug View Post
Given you have to be 16 to work in fast food it is kind of expected that you are mature enough to realise what is not acceptable to say in uniform.

Why has this suddenly become a big issue?
Because they lack patience with me for things I never knew was wrong. Not just talking about BK, but in general. Even when I explain that I didn't know, they won't believe me. I'm Just using this incident as an example.

Old 20-05-2015, 09:51 AM   #35
Shehurtme

people lacking patience with me for doing what I never knew was wrong

Rules I learned and mastered last year

1. Not to ask too much detail of ppl's personal lives.
2. When they do share these details, not to share it with 3rd party.
3. Treat ppl based on your relationship to them instead of treating everyone I meet like BFF
4. At work, not to wait for ppl to go to lunch with them. May however, join them at their table in breakroom.
5. Match emotional tone of conversational partners.
6. You can ask friends certain thing but not someone you barely knew
7. not to just walk up to someone and ask personal question(s) w/o surrounding conversation
8. knowing what comment is on topic and what isn't.

Those are advance social rules that I learned last year. Yet, ppl never believed me when I explained I didn't know at that time.

Old 20-05-2015, 01:25 PM   #36
Iamcatbug
Cat

Can I ask what exactly you are looking for with this thread?

You've posted about this issue a lot now, it's obvious it is a huge issue for you, but all your threads seem to go over the same issue again and again.

Old 20-05-2015, 03:54 PM   #37
Field Of Paper Flowers
Random Hero

This happens in my job all the time and yes it's annoying when I tell someone an order and they **** it up after me repeating it at least three to five times. And it's definitely annoying when I'm making the order and I haven't been told it properly or I misheard the order.

But you learn from it and carry on. Everyone makes mistakes. :)

Old 20-05-2015, 03:58 PM   #38
Shehurtme

Thx. I hope not to get bitched at again

Old 20-05-2015, 04:02 PM   #39
Field Of Paper Flowers
Random Hero

If you do stuff wrong, sadly you have to expect to be put in your place and told off about it. If they don't do that, then how will you know you ****ed up?

I've had it happen in the past and yeah it's made me feel crap, and a little low but then I've had to tell people off and it made me realise why I was being told off in the past.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)