RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-01-2016, 10:40 PM   #1
Katiee
It's full of lonely.

I am currently:
GP Question?

Does anyone know for sure if it's considered confidential information to know who someone's GP is (UK)?

I was told I need to inform a family members GP about something serious. However, I don't know who their GP is, so if I ring and ask are they allowed to tell me?

Note:
The person doesn't think this is something the doctor needs to know, and they're are even admitting it's a problem, so I've been told I should tell them what is going on.

<3.

Katiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 12:38 AM   #2
Iamcatbug
Cat

I think it depends on the context. Because obviously on application forms/work forms you give out information about your GP surgery so they know for emergency purposes.

Depending on your relation to the person might also be a factor. But I'm not sure. Would you feel comfortable ringing and asking? The worst they will say is they can't tell you.

Who told you that you had to inform the GP?

Iamcatbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 01:36 AM   #3
Katiee
It's full of lonely.

I am currently:

My own GP told me I should tell this persons GP about what is going on as its serious and could complicate any medications that might be prescribed. Although the I don't think my GP is aware that I don't know who this persons GP is. It's a difficult situation.

<3.

Old 22-01-2016, 03:02 PM   #4
Epicene

I am currently:

Your GP should liaise with the persons GP, not you. I think you'll come up against walls of confidentiality if you try doing it yourself.

Epicene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 06:07 PM   #5
Katiee
It's full of lonely.

I am currently:

I can't. They're at a different surgery to mine.

<3.

Old 22-01-2016, 06:33 PM   #6
tiptoes
Forum Mod

I am currently:

Could you contact the PCT that they are under and see if they could pass on the message to the relevant GP without you being informed of which GP they are under? Do you have their NHS number?

In my dreams I slew the dragon

tiptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 07:34 PM   #7
Amaranth
Leah

I am currently:

You could write a letter to the gp explaining and giving your contact details then write 'Person's GP' on the envelope and give it in to the surgery reception. Then they can look up the gp and give them the letter without you having to know who it is, and if the gp wants to they can call you to discuss things.

Amaranth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 10:22 PM   #8
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

I agree with tiptoes, I'd contact the GP surgery of the person in question and leave a message at reception with the relevant info and ask them to pass it on to the GP as soon as possible.

Though I'm sure GPs in different practices can still talk to each other if needed medically. All they'd need to do is phone each other.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)