RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-11-2019, 07:30 PM   #1
LRgrad15

Feeling bad that alcoholic acquaintance passed away even when others claim they don't

Not too long ago, an alcoholic acquaintance passed away. I was not friends with her, wasn't actually close to her so it didn't affect me that much in terms of grief and didn't become depressed or anything. She was just around me a lot during my five years at college so we still associated a lot. I mentioned her before where she abused alcohol and tried to get me to drink too a lot and became very arrogant. Somehow she believed that it was healthy to drink and smoke. I stopped associating with her over a year prior to her passing.

One thing I wondered was, is it normal to feel bad that it happened even though I wasn't close to her and even had a bad feeling it would happen? Also, several other people who knew her claim to not feel bad but I still do secretly feel bad. In the rare chances she is brought up, other people will say they don't care or they don't feel bad since they weren't friends with her and didn't really like her. I totally understand not being friends with her and not liking her but I would imagine it's still possible to feel bad about it.

I wasn't friends with her either and really didn't like being around her a whole lot due to how arrogant she was and thought she was always right. Also didn't like how she constantly bragged about how much she drank. That's why I stayed away, although at one point did mention that she should see someone but she didn't agree. Even when someone else claims to not feel bad, I will admit, I still do even though I wasn't close to her. Basically even though I wasn't close to her, I still wish it didn't end that way since I know it didn't have to be that way. Is that normal to feel bad that someone you weren't close to, but still associated with a lot, has passed away? Basically, even though I wasn't close to her and had a feeling she would ruin her life, I still feel bad that it ended the way it did and wish she had stopped drinking.

It especially became apparent that she went too far when she mentioned to others that her organs, especially kidneys and liver were failing. The fact that she had Spina Bifida probably didn't help. She went in for a surgery to have a port-a-cath inserted due to the kidneys not working properly and that was the end. Have you even known someone you didn't feel close to but still associated with a lot that had passed away and felt bad about it even if others did not? Just wondered what you guys thought. Even though there may be some other people who claim that they don't feel bad or don't care, I do wish that the outcome had been better since no one deserves to go like that. It's a shame that had to happen.

One Hug Given By:
Old 28-11-2019, 07:57 AM   #2
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

I think it's completely OK to feel bad about it. Not liking someone doesn't mean you wish they were dead or are glad that they are dead. It sounds like a very sad situation and it's a shame that she didn't get the help she needed to turn her life around.

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2019, 01:46 PM   #3
LRgrad15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi.R^2 View Post
I think it's completely OK to feel bad about it. Not liking someone doesn't mean you wish they were dead or are glad that they are dead. It sounds like a very sad situation and it's a shame that she didn't get the help she needed to turn her life around.
Yep I totally agree. Yeah I didn't really care about her or see her as a friend at all due to how arrogant she was, but at the same time, yeah I wouldn't wish death on anyone. It is a shame it had to end like that.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)