Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 18-10-2019, 06:53 PM   #1
Juella
Valerie

I am currently:
What do you do when you're distressed?

Hey, guys!
I wonder if any of you could share ideas of soothing activities that you do when you're feeling particularly upset/anxious/distressed etc. I'd be very grateful for suggestions. Multiple professionals asked me what I could to in my free time that would be soothing and/or otherwise helpful and I have a hard time coming up with ideas. Maybe some of you wonderful people could share your favourite soothing activities with me?

P.S. I am aware of the big distraction list, but I find most ideas on it either pretty eccentric, or somewhat vague in their description.

Juella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 08:59 PM   #2
Auror.
Camden

I snuggle with my dog.

That uh. Might not be useful if you do not have a dog that likes to snuggle though.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 09:34 PM   #3
Soft Kitty

I like to do things that are fairly repetitive like knitting or drawing patterns - especially good for those dark nights coming up. I also like to get my hot water bottle and try and watch something on Netflix. I don't tend to do them often, but brain training and puzzles can help a lot when distressed. Cooking and baking can be helpful too, and I like to make aromatherapy type things like candles and sprays. I've often found gentle yoga soothing too. Outside the house, I like to go for walks and take not very good photographs of things.

A friend of mine collages some amazing pictures, and another friend is really good at felting.

I don't know if any of those ideas grab you, but I hope you find a selection of activities that bring you peace. Even running a bubblebath and lighting a candle and relaxing for half an hour can be incredibly soothing for some.

Soft Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 11:28 PM   #4
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

If you are like me and only have a shower you can get bath bombs especially made for the shower. Otherwise a bath bomb.

I find that joining postcrossing very good and a distraction. If you dont know what postcrossing is it's a postcard exchange website. I tend to write the same thing though for everyone.

The other thing that sprung to mind is adult colouring books. You can get them on a variety of topics eg zen/Harry Potter.

If you're artistic then painting can be good. If you like the idea of painting but not up to doing a painting from scratch then an painting by numbers kit is good.

Other than that I have thought of is putting a face mask on and nail varnish.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2019, 10:59 AM   #5
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

This is my huge list, some things are personal so might not suit you but I hope there's something there that does.

Read
Go for walk
RYL
Watch TV
Go on the bus
Housework/tidying
Eat
Browse online for books
Youtube - e.g. Miriam Margoles, Lewis Capaldi, Saturday Night Live, This Morning Funny, jimmy kimmel youtube challenge
Dot to dot
Write
Have a shower
Colour in
Wordsearch
Games on phone or online inc f&d board
Jigsaw
Make a card/write to someone
Talk to someone
Read childhood book
Listen to music
Bake
Gardening
Put on a film
Exercise/urban rebounding
Shop for foodbank
Go to library
Sit in cafe or just a bench
Knee exercises
Psychologist relaxation thing
MH scrapbook
Squiggly shape colouring
Lists
Gym
Lie on floor, listen to white noise, cover eyes
Loud music in bathroom
Watch Goosebumps/Kimmy Schmidt
Word game anagram thing
Browse twitter
Play with/cuddle/photo cats
Audiobook or podcast
Comic on library app
Repetitive sounds and movements
Write on arms
Head massage thing
Heat packs
Self help sheets
Hot chocolate
Lego
Look through boxes of old stuff
Online shopping
High street shopping
Listen to Matilda soundtrack
Watch Most Haunted
Plan a trip
Look through penpal book
Sit in hidden garden bit
Proper face wash/eczema care
Shredding
Poetry/scrapbook
Buy a magazine
Re-read things from past positive jars
Watch Waiting For The End video
Diamond painting
Make bracelets
Practice BSL.
Rocking chair.
Check if Wishlist books are in library.
Vote on Qwertee.

I think I have missed out some as I have different updated lists. My go to soothing when I'm really, really distressed is white noise/thunder sounds through headphones. It can then help me to focus on something like reading or colouring.

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

Don't try to calm the storm, calm yourself, the storm will pass.

You didn't come this far just to come this far.

one_step_closer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 12:34 PM   #6
Juella
Valerie

I am currently:

Oh, wow, thanks guys, that's a lot of awesome suggestions! Sorry for not reacting earlier, my laptop died on me.

Auror, snuggling with a pet is great. I don't have a dog though. I have two cats but like most cats they aren't always in the mood to snuggle. When they are it's super soothing though.

Soft kitty, actually drawing patterns sounds like a great idea, as well as doing puzzles! What kind of puzzles do you like?
Unfortunately I am horrible at knitting and cooking and I fail so miserably that it frustrates me to the point of wanting to set the world on fire, but thank you for sharing.

not_so_insig, I looked into postcrossing and it sounds like a great idea, as well as painting by numbers and coloring, thank you very much!

one_step_closer, now that is one awesome list! You're a star, thank you so much, for sharing, this is super helpful! This is like a lifetime of nice activities.

Old 24-10-2019, 01:55 PM   #7
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

I hope some of those things are useful. I meant to say when I read Dawn's reply about painting by numbers, you can get colouring by numbers now too. I have one of those books and it's good when you don't want to have to stress over choosing colours and just be told what to do.

How have you been recently?

Old 24-10-2019, 05:58 PM   #8
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

Also if it's darker, different lighting can be good. I have a glitter lamp which is quite soothing, or there are colour changing lights or projectors etc.

Old 26-10-2019, 06:37 PM   #9
Juella
Valerie

I am currently:

A glitter lamp must be very lovely.
To be honest, I am super low and even very simple things feel difficult at the moment. But I looked through your list and found some activities that help me to keep afloat, so thank you very much! I printed out your list with some minor corrections and posted in on the wall as "The list of things to try before doing something destructive or crawling under a blanket to wallow in misery", and so far it worked like magic.

Old 27-10-2019, 06:36 PM   #10
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

I'm sorry you're feeling really low and finding everything is an effort, that's not a nice place to be. I'm glad you've managed to adapt the activities to you and that they are working for now. Please keep trying, I hope things get better for you soon.

Old 31-10-2019, 08:32 PM   #11
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

Cuddling an teddy bear or other plushie is another thing. I have the exact same bear as I had when I was little (not the original one though) in my flat so it comforts me. It also helps when I am having an flashback.

Another thing I thought of is a cartoon that you enjoyed when you were little or an favourite tv programme. For myself it would be Keeping Up Appearances but you probably have an different programme.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is online now   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)