RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 07-01-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
caz23

Frequency of Lithium level testing

I have just started taking Lithium (400mg) last thursday and I'm a little confused about how often my levels should be checked.

When I asked my psych he very casually just said to have a blood test in "around a week". So I called my GP to sort it out and she said she'd normally test after two weeks, but would do it after a week (so today) because of what my psych said. So, fine, I've had my first test, that's cool.

But this is where I'm getting a little confused. She (my GP) said that I might have to have another test the next time she sees me depending on the results of this one. Now thats in a month. All of the things that I have read about Lithium, including the PIL that came with my medication, say that you should have a blood test on a weekly basis until you are on the correct dosage and it's 'stable' or whatever.

So, who's right and who's wrong?! I mean, I don't want to doubt my psych and GP, and that's possibly part of the problem here. I don't relish the thought of having a blood test every week, but at the same time I don't want to end up being ill because the levels are too high or it being ineffective because the levels are too low.

Argh, so confused! Sorry this is quite long but if anyone could give me some advice on this one I would be very grateful!

Thank you

3 Hugs Given By :
Old 07-01-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
Fry

I am currently:

Try not to worry too much. Weekly is too frequent. Your psych and GP are right.

Stop thinking about what I want, what he wants, what your parents want. What do you want?

(Used to be ~sonic~)

Old 07-01-2010, 10:25 PM   #3
caz23

Ahh phew! Why the bloody hell do these stupid leaflets tell you otherwise though? Grr!

Anyway, thanks for that, much appreciated

Old 07-01-2010, 10:26 PM   #4
Fry

I am currently:

That's okay :) I've taken Lithium before.
I dunno why they say that in the leaflet but apart from anything else, it would be really expensive to order blood tests every week.

Stop thinking about what I want, what he wants, what your parents want. What do you want?

(Used to be ~sonic~)

Old 07-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #5
MissAnonymous

I am currently:

Weekly isnt too much if you are increasing or decreasing the dose, if the dr says a week, you need to go in a week. But usually, once the dose and Li levels are stable you will need to go every 3 months minimum. You wont have to have weekly tests all the time, just till they are sure the level is roughly within the safe/theraputic range, and hopefully that wont take too long at all.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:34 PM   #6
lozza
just trying to fly εϊз

I am currently:

like the others have said it is important to have regular blood tests until you are on the right dose for you... I have just recently started lithium a few weeks ago to and have been having a blood test every 2 weeks at the latest

I hope you find the right dose soon, its annoying having blood tests so often

sometimes being strong means not holding back the tears but letting them fall
~˙·٠Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ٠·˙~

my fur baby girls are my life <3
r.i.p my beautiful girl jackie. i will love you always no matter what - 6/5/10

Old 08-01-2010, 09:55 AM   #7
vetty

I am currently:

the difference is becuase different people react soo differently to lithium, and there are lots of factors that affect how your levels are eg other meds, diet/fluid changes etc, so it is very different for each person. as you have more tests, if the levels are constant the testing will become more and more infrequent.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:05 PM   #8
Aidee

I am currently:

Listen to which ever doctor is prescribing the medication. They will dictate the testing schedule based on your overall health, other medications you are on, and the results of previous blood tests.

Well it breaks my heart to see you this way,
The beauty in life, where's it gone?
And somebody told me you were doing okay,
Somehow I guess they were wrong.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:34 AM   #9
ThirdShadow
Unforgettable Haze

I am currently:

You might want to make it a point to check your cholesterol when you get your blood done (i was on lithium for awhile and had to be tested every two-three weeks). It shot my levels so high that I now have to take lopid to get my Chol. levels back to a normal state. I'm only 23, thats scary to have you chol. off the charts.

.:Love//Hate:.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:52 AM   #10
lozza
just trying to fly εϊз

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdShadow View Post
You might want to make it a point to check your cholesterol when you get your blood done (i was on lithium for awhile and had to be tested every two-three weeks). It shot my levels so high that I now have to take lopid to get my Chol. levels back to a normal state. I'm only 23, thats scary to have you chol. off the charts.
wow, that is scary

sometimes being strong means not holding back the tears but letting them fall
~˙·٠Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ٠·˙~

my fur baby girls are my life <3
r.i.p my beautiful girl jackie. i will love you always no matter what - 6/5/10

Old 09-01-2010, 01:40 AM   #11
ThirdShadow
Unforgettable Haze

I am currently:

It really is because I already have heart problems on top of that. I have to do heart monitors every month and have an echocardiogram every other month just to see the damage. Its really really really scary and needs to be closely watched if you're on lithium....

.:Love//Hate:.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #12
Animad

Can I just say that what bloods need to be taken does depend on the individual case and just because some people have had this problem it doesn't mean everyone will and so really your doctor will decide what bloods are needed based on your Lithium levels and also you should have your bloods for your Li levels as your doctor/ psych says, not other people/ leaflts/ websites as each case is different and also try and maintain your food intake to be around the same and the same amount as that can also affect the levels of Li in your blood.

Lithium can cause various different parameters to be altered and this along with other reasons is why it's level needs to be monitorred and also why the doctor has to decide which bloods you need because cholesterol isn't the only thing that can be altered by the Li

Old 09-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #13
caz23

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not concerned about testing for other things really, well, unless I start feeling dodgy that is! I've had my thyroid and kidney function tested (hopefully will be normal!) which I think they routinely do when starting Lithium anyway.

I just got a little confused about how often I should be getting my levels tested at the beginning of treatment. I mean, my psych said one thing, GP said another and the leaflet my psych gave me said something else. I was like, wtf?!

Anyway, thanks for all the advice, I feel a bit better about it now.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)