RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 17-05-2013, 07:25 AM   #1
Isoverity

I am currently:
Beckham

Looks like he's done playing (Ending It Like Beckham the papers read). I was never a football fan but he seemed likeable. His wife always looks miserable but that could be botox or something because I haven't seen her smiling in a photo ever. I'm not one for tatties but Beckham's seemed a tad more artistic than the usual skulls, snakes, hearts, Chinese scribbles etc. I also like that they weren't too colorful. I can't say I even saw him ever really play aside from highlights. Is the movie "Bend It Like Beckham" worth watching?

David Beckham: the football star who outshone his sport
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...s-football-mls

I liked the 70 yard goal here at 3.50 in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGHrl...ature=youtu.be

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #2
Harley's Dad

He was a pretty good footballer, Jack, though I'm not anyone to really judge. He was also modest when interviewed (he had much to be modest about, as Churchill once said of Attlee), which was endearing - once after being signed up for a team in Spain he was asked whether he would now learn Spanish and replied that he'd better learn English first!

I strongly suspect that the main cause of his international success was that he had the good fortune to be good-looking. He was snapped up by Posh Spice (what the hell is actually posh about her?) and between them their advertising earnings and one or two other ventures have made them multi-millionaires. All rather frightening when you compare it with people who are really doing things for the genuine benefit of mankind ...

Tony.

Never surrender.

Harley's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #3
offlineforever
Left RYL

Bend it like Beckham is a teen girl type film...

Left.

offlineforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley's Dad View Post
He was a pretty good footballer, Jack, though I'm not anyone to really judge. He was also modest when interviewed (he had much to be modest about, as Churchill once said of Attlee), which was endearing - once after being signed up for a team in Spain he was asked whether he would now learn Spanish and replied that he'd better learn English first!

I strongly suspect that the main cause of his international success was that he had the good fortune to be good-looking. He was snapped up by Posh Spice (what the hell is actually posh about her?) and between them their advertising earnings and one or two other ventures have made them multi-millionaires. All rather frightening when you compare it with people who are really doing things for the genuine benefit of mankind ...

Tony.

Ah Atlee - "A sheep in sheep's clothing" lol

Agree about with the looks theory. When Beckham played in US I can't say people really became more interested in his sport. He didn't make any splash on the east coast - maybe he did on the west. He seemed to be more popular here for his adverts but not in any spectacular way.

I would think he will try films. If he has a little more charisma he might have been a good Bond. I think he might bomb in films.

Old 17-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #5
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytak View Post
Bend it like Beckham is a teen girl type film...
Thanks - I like teen girl type films

Old 17-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #6
makedamnsure

I am currently:

Bend it like beckham has very little to do with beckham but its not bad as a film (if you like teen girl films!)

Beckham wasn't a bad footballer, but there are better (Messi?), it was his marriage and advertising that have turned him into a megastar. (His looks are nothing mega special either in my opinion).

Victoria beckham may look miserable but she's got her head screwed on when it comes to branding and marketing and cottoned on quite quickly that they would be more successful as a team.

I'm sure one of his tatts is some kind of Arabic squiggle that's supposed to be his wife's name but spelt wrong.

Courtesy
Integrity
Perseverance
Self Control
Indomitable Spirit

makedamnsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 01:20 AM   #7
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by makedamnsure View Post
Bend it like beckham has very little to do with beckham but its not bad as a film (if you like teen girl films!)

Beckham wasn't a bad footballer, but there are better (Messi?), it was his marriage and advertising that have turned him into a megastar. (His looks are nothing mega special either in my opinion).

Victoria beckham may look miserable but she's got her head screwed on when it comes to branding and marketing and cottoned on quite quickly that they would be more successful as a team.

I'm sure one of his tatts is some kind of Arabic squiggle that's supposed to be his wife's name but spelt wrong.

Beckham looks like a model - and most models are kind of boring looking imo. I like people a little less than perfectly modelish (like mannequins).

Posh seemed like the most ambitious one out of all the spicers. They were a good act for what they were. They were video stars as well as singers.

Lol that funny about the Arabic tat.

I wonder what kind of "mysterious" western the Chinese and Arabs etc get in English.

Chinaman #1 "Cool tat - what does the circle mean?"
Chinaman #2 "It means "Peace" in England "

Old 18-05-2013, 02:48 AM   #8
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley's Dad View Post
between them their advertising earnings and one or two other ventures have made them multi-millionaires. All rather frightening when you compare it with people who are really doing things for the genuine benefit of mankind ...
This a million times this.

Also I think he seems like a nice enough guy and a better role model than a lot of footballers even if he isn't the brightest penny.

Side note, absolutely love Bend it like Beckham.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

['There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.’ – Oscar Wilde
‘It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back.’ Sydney Carter

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 03:20 AM   #9
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttons. View Post

Side note, absolutely love Bend it like Beckham.
I already picked it up and will be watching it tonight. Hooray for teeny bird films..

Old 18-05-2013, 03:35 AM   #10
Buttons.

I am currently:

^ Let us know what you think!

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

Old 18-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #11
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
^ Let us know what you think!
It was cute - nice cast that seemed to have fun making the film. I liked the locations and the music. I had a bit of trouble with the accents. That happens to me with some UK films and TV shows (like Eastenders). The film was a bit drawn out and I had to fight to stay focused. I think it could have been 20 minutes shorter. Keira knightley stole the show. I can see why she became a big star after that. When she called Parminder Nagra a "b*tch!" it was like the most memorable part of the film

Old 18-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #12
Buttons.

I am currently:

Glad you enjoyed it :)

Are there any accents (UK-wise) you find particularly difficult?

Keira did although I think Parminder was just as compelling really. (Loved the actress playing Keira's mother as well!)

Old 18-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #13
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Glad you enjoyed it :)

Are there any accents (UK-wise) you find particularly difficult?

Keira did although I think Parminder was just as compelling really. (Loved the actress playing Keira's mother as well!)

Well its not like I'm Henry Higgins and can list the accents/dialects lol. Some people are harder than others. One movie I had a real hard time with was "Withnail and I". I saw 30 minutes of that and quit because I couldn't follow it. Part of that problem may have been the actual recording. I saw the film before it was remastered. As a low budget film, I think the sound was probably substandard. I've watched clips of the remastered version and understand it much better ("Scrubbers ! Scrubbers!")

Parminder was good but the way the story unfolded she would be paired off with someone (often the coach) and having a serious discussion, when suddenly Keira would show up out of the blue, to take over the scene with some other issue. So she not only looks like Audrey Hepburn but the script itself has her breaking in and taking over. It was kind of funny actually.

Parminder could have been on the moon talking with someone about love, and Keira would have jumped out from behind a boulder nagging about a recent practice session.

Last edited by Isoverity : 18-05-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 18-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #14
Buttons.

I am currently:

No I know, was just curious!! And I now have the 'enry 'iggins song in my head ;-p

True that, although really don't see the Audrey Hepburn resemblance beyond them both being slender...

Old 18-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #15
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
True that, although really don't see the Audrey Hepburn resemblance beyond them both being slender...
How about here?

Old 18-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #16
Buttons.

I am currently:

Fair point with the first pair, but the 2nd I'd say is stretching things. Also however similar <3 Audrey over Keira.

Old 18-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #17
Isoverity

I am currently:

Oh yeah I like Audrey better."Breakfast at Tiffany's" is one of my fav films (partly because its a NYC film too. The opening sequence feels like home to me lol)

Old 18-05-2013, 11:36 PM   #18
Buttons.

I am currently:

^ Ha ha that's lovely, and yeah, Breakfast is one of my favourite films too :)

Old 19-05-2013, 12:28 AM   #19
Isoverity

I am currently:

I should have added the theme song "Moon River" is also close to home since NYC is on the Hudson and the moon looks cool over it because its very wide.

Old 19-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #20
Enthused
In a warm place

I am currently:

Probably the most overrated footballer of the last 20 years.

Enthused is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)