RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 22-08-2019, 08:17 PM   #1
Koala hugs

I am currently:
I think I may have a food hording problem *possably a eating disorder trigger*

OK so I order my food online and this week I've outdone myself and have ordered even more than usual so much so that I'm concerned the fridge might break/stop working due to too much food being in it. It's worse that Christmas I feel so so ashamed and embarrassed about it there's enough to feed a family of ten for at least a week. I don't want to tell anyone in "real life" coz I'm worried they will judge or be cross especially considering half or more of it will likely go in the bin Coz It is only me eating it. And I've run out of bin bags forgot to order them also the flat is a right mess and I don't really feel able to clean it up or even just tidy it I'm in a right pickle now and don't know what to do with myself.

Koala hugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 08:20 AM   #2
tiptoes
Forum Mod

I am currently:

First of, there is nothing to be ashamed of.

Do you know what makes you want to buy so much food? It sounds like it is coping mechanisms for something else.

What is your process for ordering food? I wonder if there are ways to tweak that to remove some of the food that doesn't get eaten. For example if you made a list of the foods you had to throw away would you be able to not order them the following week? Do you plan your meals at all? It might help you come up with a more precise shopping list.

From a practical perspective, there are apps that allow you to share foods that you aren't going to eat and in some places fridges /cupboards where you can donate foods you won't use.

Recognising a problem and reaching out is a huge first step be proud of yourself for doing so. There are lots of potential next steps, some will work better than others but this can be changed.

In my dreams I slew the dragon

tiptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 11:54 AM   #3
The Worst Witch

I am currently:

Could you also donate some of it to a food bank? I don’t know how this would make you feel, whenever I buy too much food for us instead of throwing it out, I’ll donate it to the local food bank.

I have some suggestions about your flat and cleaning, but wasn’t sure if you wanted any or if it was mainly the buying too much food you wanted help with but am happy to share ideas if you want them/would find them helpful.

The Worst Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 12:25 PM   #4
Koala hugs

I am currently:

Tiptoes I am wondering if I buy so much because I used to not be able to afford enough food I always told myself that if I ever got more money I would buy enough food that I wouldn't go hungry again and that's exactly what I did. I could make a list of foods that I throw away that's a good idea. I don't really plan my meals at all. Thank you so much for your help

Old 23-08-2019, 12:30 PM   #5
Koala hugs

I am currently:

The worst witch I could possibly donate some to a food bnk but as a lot of it is fresh I don't think they'd take it they usually collect cans and tins of stuff. Yes by all means give me ideas on cleaning etc I hate routines but think I may need some the only housework I'm keeping on top of is the laundry and only because I find it really therapeutic thanks so much for replying

Old 23-08-2019, 06:13 PM   #6
tiptoes
Forum Mod

I am currently:

I can understand how previously not having much food could lead you to over buy now. It is a natural reaction. There were times when my parents didn't always have a lot of money, when they did have money they stocked up on non perishable items. I remember having teabags and crisps stored under my bed!

Keeping a record of what you do and don't eat in a week could be a step towards meal planning with less of the admin and effort!

From a practical view point do you have much freezer space? Now you have this food could you bulk cook some meals and freeze the rest? Also, most veg can be blanched (briefly put into boiling water (1-2 minutes) then put in cold water until it is cold. Pat dry then freeze.

Having a stocked freezer might be a way to satisfy the "I need food just in case" urge too.

In my dreams I slew the dragon

tiptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 06:51 PM   #7
Koala hugs

I am currently:

Thanks for the reply I will have to try that. have some foods I am willing to get rid of mainly tins of beans like black eyed peas I have no idea what to do with and they've been taking up cupboard space for ages. Freezer also full I'm afraid

Old 23-08-2019, 06:54 PM   #8
Koala hugs

I am currently:

Side note I have actually managed to tidy my bedroom wipe down the surfaces buy bin bags and bleach and post a package I've been meaning to send back for a week

Old 23-08-2019, 08:59 PM   #9
Koala hugs

I am currently:

Where is the logic in buying loads of food n then not eating it it's like I'm saving it or something

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)