RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 16-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
Steel Maiden
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Fainted in the heat.

I have thermoregulatory dysfunction and I cannot easily control my body temperature in the heat. During this heatwave in the UK, my body temperature has never gone below 38C when I've measured it (and I did the measurement properly as the school nurse would do when I was at school). Today I fainted due to my bedroom being 27.5C (and in the garden it was 33C) and I was unable to find any spare shorts to wear so I was wearing tracksuit trousers and a t-shirt.

I have drank a lot of water today, and I have been eating when I can. I've had three cold showers today. I measured my temperature half an hour ago: 38.2C. I want to go out to buy Powerade (electrolytes), but every time I stand up and walk around, my vision starts disappearing. Water is not good enough.

Can anyone offer any advice?

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.
I have autism and have problems communicating, PMs included.
Just becasue I type well doesn't mean I speak well. I am only part time verbal.

Old 16-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
my_smile_is_fake

I am currently:

Until you do have the energy to go out and buy some poweraid you can make your own electrolyte drink. Just get a litre of water, teaspoon of salt and 1/4 cup of both lemon and lime juice and one orange. Or if you dont have the fruits, just use diluting juice.

also to try and cool you down: suck on ice cubes, mist spray, hae a cold compress.

But mainly make sure your sugar and salt input is high as that is what you will be losing through sweat and can cause you to faint.

Old 17-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #3
Steel Maiden

Thanks for the advice, that's really helpful.

I feel a bit better today so I'm going to buy a lot of Powerade soon.

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.

Old 17-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
~AngelofLove~

I am currently:

Also, you can wrap wet towels around ur body that are cold especially your neck!

Member of SquishySquad

Old 18-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
Steel Maiden

Thanks for the tip.

Old 19-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
Freak3142
All talk no walk!

I am currently:

Also cold showers aren't as good as lukewarm showers. I know it sounds counterproductive but if it is cold then your body reacts by preserving heat. Also don't dry yourself apart from where your putting clothes on if you get me. The your body will use it's heat to evaporate the water.
If your at home wet your t-shirt. If your out then wet your baseball cap or hat so that your body can evaporate the water to remove the heat.
If you like fruit then get some oranges, mandarins, grapes, pineapple in the freezer and they are like little ice lollies when frozen and can also be put in drinks.
If your using a fan then either put it by a window so it is getting fresh air into it or direct it at your face because even though your only cooling down your face it feels like your a lot cooler - and if it irritates your eyes like it does mine then you can wear glasses while it is directed at your face.
I know people tell you when your hot not to drink this or that or the other because they are diuretics etc but fluid is fluid, so if water isn't good enough and you run out of poweraid drink something with sugar in it, anything with sugar in it to give you some sugar.

I moved from the UK to australia so I tried everything to keep cool and those are the things that worked for me.

There is no life for us apart from the ones we make for ourselves!
So get making!

Old 20-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
Steel Maiden

^ great advice. Thanks.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)