RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 21-02-2008, 11:53 PM   #1
I got stripes

I am currently:
can antipsychotics make you worse?

I'm on anti-depressants and antipsychotics, I know that when you first start taking anti-depressants they can increase suicidal thinking and even depressive thoughts but I seem to be getting more mood swings, suicidal thoughts and a slight increase in my voices (more constant whispering rather than only when I'm around people); do other people here have any experience of whether antipsychotics can do this?

I got stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 24-02-2008, 12:06 AM   #2
dark_light

I am currently:

That sounds horrible, i'm sorry you're going through this.
How long have you been taking them? Because they can take a few weeks to start working properly. Can you speak to your doctor about it? If things are getting worse your doctor should do a review or something.
Hope things improve for you soon

"Because you don't notice the light without a bit of shadow.
Everything has both dark and light.
You have to play with it until you get it exactly right."

dark_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 12:19 AM   #3
Hollz
Daffodil

I am currently:

I take quetiapine as well as my anti-depressants, but I have to say it has not made me feel much different - other than perhaps a bit more tired lethargic.

If you are worried about the side effects of your medication though, I would go and see your doctor and discuss it with them - it is better to be safe, than to be sorry.

Something has changed within me, something is not the same, I'm through with playing by the rules of someone elses game. Too late for second guessing, too late to go back to sleep, its time to trust my instincts, close my eyes and leap....
Somethings I cannot change, but till I try I'll never know...
Big hugs to all my friends on here, thanks for your constant support - love you guys

Hollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 01:21 AM   #4
Pyro
Pyro

I am currently:

i ahve been on a number of anti psychotics and some of them have made things worse. whispering turned to talking which did not help. others didnt really do anything. it is important to find one that fits with u =)

oops....

PM me any time, i'm usually online.

Pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 08:20 AM   #5
Steel Maiden
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

I relapsed on Amisulpride and ended up on section on those meds. You need to regulate/change meds until you find the right one. I'm on the fourth and its still not working well.

Steel Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 06:04 PM   #6
Ami
Perfectly Flawed

I am currently:

trial and error hun

just persereve with it, and if it doesnt work after a bit, you could consider a diff one

I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.

Ami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 07:38 PM   #7
Steel Maiden

Eehhhhhhh I don't want to go on quietapine... the dr says its the only one left ergh

Old 24-02-2008, 07:59 PM   #8
I got stripes

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Maiden View Post
Eehhhhhhh I don't want to go on quietapine... the dr says its the only one left ergh
That's what I take, I'm tired all the time, but still can't sleep just lie in bed exhausted and wishing I could doze off just for a bit. I feel much worse on it.

I've also noticed since I started taking it just a couple of weeks ago I'm getting majorly confused more easily than before and I dunno, kind of overwhelmed - like if the TVs on and my mum is speaking and there's kids playing outside and the tap running I just can't think everything is just there inside my head it's horrible.

I'm going to call my psych tomorrow after a horrible incident on friday.

Old 24-02-2008, 08:04 PM   #9
Steel Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by I got stripes View Post
That's what I take, I'm tired all the time, but still can't sleep just lie in bed exhausted and wishing I could doze off just for a bit. I feel much worse on it.

I've also noticed since I started taking it just a couple of weeks ago I'm getting majorly confused more easily than before and I dunno, kind of overwhelmed - like if the TVs on and my mum is speaking and there's kids playing outside and the tap running I just can't think everything is just there inside my head it's horrible.

I'm going to call my psych tomorrow after a horrible incident on friday.
And procyclidine doesn't work? I tried procyclidine with olanzepine and it did **** nothing. And coffee doesn't work either. It sucks, I'm sorry. I think you need to change meds.
What horrible incident happened? Are you ok? I care about you.

Old 24-02-2008, 08:12 PM   #10
I got stripes

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Maiden View Post
And procyclidine doesn't work? I tried procyclidine with olanzepine and it did **** nothing. And coffee doesn't work either. It sucks, I'm sorry. I think you need to change meds.
What horrible incident happened? Are you ok? I care about you.
Quetiapine is the first I've tried. Before I was only hearing people making fun of me in public like whenever other people were around. But friday I was alone and heard a man laughing at me saying I'm not worthy of living not to mention uni like I am, I totally lost it I was so scared, crying, just grabbed a knife and cut into my arm deeper than ever before just to feel the pain and not the voice. I regained control and he was gone but it was so ****ing scary, nothing like that happens normally, I swear this medicine is making me worse. I don't know what they're trying to do to me. Perhaps make me kill myself so they don't have to bother over me anymore.

And thanks mate that means a lot to me. I'm pretty new here but been reading your posts about like uni and stuff and I relate a lot to what you're saying. It's cool.

Old 25-02-2008, 01:02 AM   #11
Steel Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by I got stripes View Post
Quetiapine is the first I've tried. Before I was only hearing people making fun of me in public like whenever other people were around. But friday I was alone and heard a man laughing at me saying I'm not worthy of living not to mention uni like I am, I totally lost it I was so scared, crying, just grabbed a knife and cut into my arm deeper than ever before just to feel the pain and not the voice. I regained control and he was gone but it was so ****ing scary, nothing like that happens normally, I swear this medicine is making me worse. I don't know what they're trying to do to me. Perhaps make me kill myself so they don't have to bother over me anymore.

And thanks mate that means a lot to me. I'm pretty new here but been reading your posts about like uni and stuff and I relate a lot to what you're saying. It's cool.
The cutting incident reminds me about what I did, which was the same as what you did. I still have white parallel scars on my arms, which I hate. I still have to wear a wristband, nearly four years on.

If the medicine is making you worse, go to your doctor and cry your eyes out at him, or get angry (but not too angry), just show a strong emotion to tell him that its not working. They're not trying to make you kill yourself. In the mental health services, you have to be very proactive, otherwise they just can't be bothered. Insist that the meds aren't working to him. Good luck.

You relate to me? That's good, I like your posts too, they're helpful because they make me feel like I'm not alone.

Thanks and good luck.

Old 25-02-2008, 03:37 AM   #12
Sarika
Becca!

I am currently:

Yea antipsychotics can make you worse. Over here, the FDA just required that both antipsychotics and anticonvulsants have the black box warning placed on them (suicidality increase warning).

My experience with antipyschotics is positive. They make the delusions, and hallucinations subside. Haven't found a change in my feelings of depression (including suicide related).

Regardless, I definately think it's a good idea to talk it over with your doctor. I've been on too many medications that made me worse, and I know others have too, so I can definately understand what you're going through. Confusing too - they're suppose to help not hurt.

Stay Safe Tonight

Sarika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 05:12 AM   #13
Misunderstood.
struggling

I am currently:

i have found that risperidone actually brings on voices with me,..and its the whispering kind too like u described.

The most profound things are inexpressible.

Misunderstood. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 08:20 AM   #14
Steel Maiden

Personally, I think that the side-effects of some medications can be very undesireable.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:12 AM   #15
Remethy

I am currently:

I was on anti-psychotics and anti-depressants for about 3 years and I personally think that the anti-depressants didn't do much and I've been doing a lot better without them. Having said that I think in some cases medication can help, like if you're over stressed or something upsetting happens and you're not in a stable state of mind but if you're recovering and you start to handle these stressed better I think the medication can actually hold you back from being as well as you can be.
I'm sorry that you had to experience this, hope you're doing well.

Remethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #16
Mrs Sam
Nothing Special

I am currently:

Zombie thread!!

Something Special.

Mrs Sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 02:16 AM   #17
1big_oso3

I am a diagnosed schizophrenic adolescent but out of what I've seen I'm different my voices scream at me 4 scream murder and 1 is a deep voice explaining one, my hallucinations involve dead people, blood and so on and apparently, I have no idea why, my thought's are not unorganized no but their well organized and my intelligence is higher than my grade level. What I am basically here to say is this, yes anti psychotics can cause major depression and can worsen you'r mental sate. My proof is simple, me, I have been on many medication's, I'm guessing more than 20, if I'm right, and have been in and out of behavioral hospital's 5 time's in 3 year's. I've been on high doses of medication's my last one was seroquel 800 mg a day. I have decided after much time wasted in facility's like Valle Del Sol and A New Leaf and much time wasted on medication's to start my own experiment and stop services as well as medication's. What I have found so far is this, those that have failed anti psychotics have one drug that has less side affect's and has better result's and that drug is simple, medical marijuana. It has been proven that medical marijuana help's with schizophrenia. In regular marijuana it has high level's of THC witch is the bad guy and witch causes a reaction with schizophrenia and a small amount of CBD but in medical marijuana there is low level's of THC and higher amount of CBD and that CBD is the good guy in marijuana witch is used to prevent the induction of psychotic symptoms. All I know right now is this anti psychotic's have serious side affect's and may or may not work for the one's prescribed to this drug but medical marijuana has few side affect's and has better result's. If any one has more information that can help me with my research please let me know it would help me out a lot and if any other schizophrenic person can share with me their experiences and medication's used so i can find an answer to our related problem. Thank you for reading this and for what ever help you may provide. I know it's hard for us to live with this but I know if we gather our knowledge we can find an answer that will cure our illness for good. I have been suffering with this since age 13 I am currently 17 about to be 18 in March and am a small known music artist known as Big Oso (Spanish for bear) my music has inspired people with their live's my only word's to say is this, like in my new song "Believe", do not stop chasing you'r dream's, do not let any one say you can't do what you want, but most importantly do not let any thing get in the way of what you have dream'd of for so long, my dream is to make a difference in this world and help other's with their life and thank's to my fiance my dream's can be accomplished and my problem can be controlled thank's to her undying love that drop's my chances of having another psychotic episode from 100 to 0. To every one, please take of you'r selves and take care of the one's you love as I will with my fiance and our 2 beautiful kid's.

1big_oso3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)