Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Closed Thread
Old 07-08-2009, 04:01 PM   #1
Freya
Bow chicka wow woww (used to be OverYou)

I am currently:
Did "a large number of RYL users have/are having an unhappy childhood"?*triggering*

Quoting someone here, if they dont want it quoted PM and ill delete thread :)
But do you think this is true?
I don't know about personal accounts but to be honest my childhood was a happy one, even more so considering the circumstances.

Edit: Thankyou for your responses :) Watching the US 'Intervention' series, almost all, it seems, with addictions had unsettled childhoods for one reason or another; divorce, abuse, parent mental health issues. But, as a lot of you have said, my childhood was also fine. If that's not the cause, what is in your opinion?

Last edited by Freya : 09-08-2009 at 04:35 PM.

"I grew up in Slough in the 1970's. If you want to know what Slough was like back then, go there now." -Jimmy carr

"Swimming is good for you. Speshly if you're drowning" - Jimmy carr

Me: Mum what are you doing for ur 20th anniversary?
Mum: BIG party time! .. Dunno what your dads doing.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
someoneiusedtoknow
O

I am currently:

You can't really objectively identify what makes a happy or an unhappy childhood - some people might have a genuinely rough time, others might be oversensitive drama queens.

Mine was ok. I had an undiagnosed neurological condition, health problems, had bad sexual experiences, parents who physically fought, was bullied at school, SIed and had an eating disorder.

But I turned out alright, so I presume it wasn't that bad.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:10 PM   #3
Breadsticks

I am currently:

My childhood was perfectly normal as far as i'm aware!

But if i still believe you love me, maybe i'll survive.
So i tell myself you're coming home, like you've done a million times.
& if it's alright, i'll still be loving you.
'cause i can't break it to my heart.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
SweetLemonSour

Just because people didn't have such a bad time as others, yet were still unhappy, it does NOT make them "oversensitive drama queens" everything affects people in different ways, it doesn't make them "drama queens".

Old 07-08-2009, 04:12 PM   #5
someoneiusedtoknow
O

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by miowable View Post
Just because people didn't have such a bad time as others, yet were still unhappy, it does NOT make them "oversensitive drama queens" everything affects people in different ways, it doesn't make them "drama queens".
If you exaggerate something that wasn't really that bad, it makes you a drama queen. The fact it's not something people want to hear isn't my problem. Everyone wants to feel like their problems are as important as other peoples', but someone who grew up locked in a cupboard had it rougher than someone who got called ugly once in Year 8.

Sorry to piss on your rainbow.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:13 PM   #6
shadow-light
He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon

I am currently:

I think in many ways childhood is one of these things that seems worse while you're going threw it... looking back it always seems different

I had a chaotic childhood... moved from city to city a lot, on the streets with my mum a few times... got introduced to my "dad" a week before him and my mum got married when I was 5, only to find out when I was 17 that actually he wasn;t my biological dad lol. he chucked my mum and me out a few times... got bullied through school, had keloids the size of golf balls on my ears and the kids at school all decided it was cancer and I was stupid enough to listen and believe them when they told me I was going to die... stupid I know... I moved out from my parents house at 16, ended up having to go back at 17 as I'd ended up on the streets lol

I didn't SI until I was 17, and that was to do with events outside of my family anyway and nothing to do with my childhood.

so chaotic... but could have been far far far worse

Old 07-08-2009, 04:16 PM   #7
someoneiusedtoknow
O

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow-light View Post
I think in many ways childhood is one of these things that seems worse while you're going threw it... looking back it always seems different

I had a chaotic childhood... moved from city to city a lot, on the streets with my mum a few times... got introduced to my "dad" a week before him and my mum got married when I was 5, only to find out when I was 17 that actually he wasn;t my biological dad lol. he chucked my mum and me out a few times... got bullied through school, had keloids the size of golf balls on my ears and the kids at school all decided it was cancer and I was stupid enough to listen and believe them when they told me I was going to die... stupid I know... I moved out from my parents house at 16, ended up having to go back at 17 as I'd ended up on the streets lol

I didn't SI until I was 17, and that was to do with events outside of my family anyway and nothing to do with my childhood.

so chaotic... but could have been far far far worse
Yeah, see, THAT'S what I'd call a difficult childhood and not exaggerated misery. That sounds pretty wank. I hope your life has improved since.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:19 PM   #8
chasing bliss
stuck doing people things

I am currently:

Environmentally, my childhood was great. Good family, good education, a great deal of stability and security, no devastating loss, no abuse or neglect or anything even approaching it.

But I was a miserable, paralysingly anxious, hypersensitive mess. I don't really consider that part of my childhood, though. It's just how I am. Go figure.

well, i have sown untidy furrows 'cross my soul,
but I am still a coward,
content to see my garden grow so sweet & full
of someone else's flowers.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:20 PM   #9
The One Who

I am currently:

It's a bit relative, is it not? Who is to say that the person wasn't unhappy no matter how privileged their lives may or may not have been.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:26 PM   #10
shadow-light
He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon

I am currently:

I do think that it is all very subjective of what is "good" and what is "bad"... I mean yes we can have the extremes of abuse, neglect, etc. but for all the grey areas in the middle... I think it gets a bit complex, and there will always be the 2 sets of people; those who are able to just get on with everything regardless, and those who are maybe more sensitive who are more affected by things... that and gener ally speaking developmental psychology wise things that happen in childhood (even small things) can have a HUGE effect in later life

I never really think of my childhood as "bad", though that may be as all the events and rubbish that caused me to be as I am now started after that. It was chaotic, but I saw others who were worse off and looking back it just seems almost normal.
Only negative effect of my childhood is the awful terms my parents and I are on now which they think gives them the excuse to toy with my life at the age of 22

so I think I got through childhood fairly well. Others were not so lucky

Old 07-08-2009, 04:35 PM   #11
XxXflowerfairyXxX

I am currently:

I had an awesome childhood.
It started to go a bit down hill when I was about 10 but I still have great memories.
Even when I was clinically depressed and regularly SHing due to bullying and other issues I have fond memories of times with friends and families.
My parents did everything they could to ensure my brother and I had the happiest upbringing possible.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:40 PM   #12
linder surprise
vs. elvis.

I am currently:

standard childhood i think.
one particular bad thing (abuse, lol), but mostly good stuff and i'm not complaining.

take what you love
burn it down.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:22 PM   #13
Grunge Rock Princess
<|Hippiechick|>

Honestly no, i had a happy childhood- i never remember being sad as a kid i was always happy and outgonig and stuff - i was 13 when things started going a bit skewy

If I should become a stranger
You know that it would make me more than sad
Caledonia's been everything I've ever had

Ginger and Proud

The dream is over.....
....good luck to all the globespanners

Old 07-08-2009, 05:26 PM   #14
samshine

I am currently:

I spent 2 and half years as an inpatient in the states when I was 14, both my parents are alcoholics, and my mum went in and out of hospital for my whole childhood for anorexia, depression, and suicide attempts. I never felt loved or accepted and me and my 3 siblings all have major issues with depression and addictions.
So I would say I had a bad childhood, but I am sooooo ready to put it behind me.

"Where ever I am I always find myself looking out the window wishing I was somewhere else." - Angelina Jolie

'You haven't failed until you quit trying'

Old 07-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #15
amethyst

Yea my childhood was pretty good.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:37 PM   #16
Tuesday

I had a good childhood. There were a few odd things that I did as a child but that had nothing to do with my upbringing/environment. Lovely parents, standard stuff.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:39 PM   #17
squirrelspit

I am currently:

i think like... my childhood, to me, was bad.. and some people when/if i tell then say 'oh my gosh, that must have been so hard for you' but then others here would probably look at everything that happened to me, and wish that they had it that good.

Regardless of that.. if what happened hadnt have happened.. i would not be me and would not be where i am now.. so, although at the time it was terrifying, i look back and am thankful for my childhood.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:44 PM   #18
GlitterandSparkles.

I am currently:

I had a good childhood. Loving parents, home to live in, good school, big family.
Compared to how some people had it, my childhood was fantastic, and I am very thankful for that.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:13 PM   #19
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

My childhood was "normal". Loving parents, good home, food on the table, good school etc.

And I still ended up with a mental illness. Weird, huh.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #20
rockaroni
Captain Rainbow!!!

I am currently:

I had a pretty good childhood. The only thing bad really is I was bullied a lot, and didn't really have many friends. But that's really pretty average. Most of the time I was pretty happy, if a tad lonely.

Wake me up before I change again
Remind me the story that I won't get insane
Tell me why it's always the same
Explain me the reason why I'm so much in pain.

Closed Thread

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)