Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 15-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #1
Albus Dumbledore
Ella

I am currently:
crisis team/AAT/whatever it's called these days

Hi,
Last night I had a really bad time emotionally. My mum spoke to me and convinced me to phone the AAT (formerly crisis team). After 20 minutes of struggling to talk about my emotions to a stranger, the best advice he could give me was to watch tv. Everyone always tells me that I need to phone the AAT when I'm struggling, but what is the point when their best advice is to watch tv, or have a cup of tea?
Anyone else have problems with their crisis team? What's the most stupid thing they've told you? How do you deal with them being unhelpful?

Albus Dumbledore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
snailonvalium
*~manda~*

My local crisi team say the same thing as yours, I think you just have to keep trying with them, as all the staff are different, sometimes you get someone who will be more than the "have a cup of tea" brigade.
Some people find the samaritans more helpful for talking to, as in they have the time to just listen x

snailonvalium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
crazykat
Fight for another day

Yeah I have been told to just have a bath or watch tv too. I agree with the above though keep trying as sometimes you can get someone that is more helpful. Or can you try another helpline such as the Samaritans. One thing that I find really helpful is to come up with a crisis plan of my own too which can include numbers to call and other distractions that you might find helpful.

"Recovery is something that you have to work
on every single day and it's
something that doesn't
get a day off."

crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
Albus Dumbledore
Ella

I am currently:

Thanks for the replies. I talked to my cco today and next time I see her, we're going to try and come up with a crisis plan. I find it very difficult to talk about my emotions, especially over the phone, so to overcome the fear, just to be told to watch tv was really demoralising.

Albus Dumbledore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
Steel Maiden
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

The crisis team have called the police on me a few times before so I don't trust them now.

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.
I have autism and have problems communicating, PMs included.
Just becasue I type well doesn't mean I speak well. I am only part time verbal.

Steel Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
Dying_Angel

I am currently:

Ive never called them but my mate has a couple of times and they have also said her about having a cup of tea or bath

I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside. ~ Girl Interrupted

When you dont want to feel, death seems like a dream. ~ Girl Interrupted

Dying_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
Taraxacum
This Member is currently Banned

Crisis plans tend to work well, like a list of 10 things to do when you need to re-focus your emotions.

My crisis team tend to be uite good, but I have met most of them in person through Crisis teamm/Home treatment appointments in the day

Taraxacum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
secret squirrel

I am currently:

Do you have an idea of what a helpful response would be? I also found the generic 'have some tea, have a bath, go for a walk' advice was annoying and patronising. So I worked with one of the Crisis Team to make a list of helpful and unhelpful responses so that even staff who had never met me would have an idea of how to help. Maybe you could do that with your cc? A Crisis plan is a great idea, I also have one and it has a list of who to contact, and also things I can do to help myself.

secret squirrel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #9
Steel Maiden
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

I've never been told to have a cup of tea etc before. Probably because I was about to do something extremely disastrous, so they just called the police on me, who would just turn up.

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.
I have autism and have problems communicating, PMs included.
Just becasue I type well doesn't mean I speak well. I am only part time verbal.

Steel Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

I usually get told to watch a film, have a bath or read a book. Sometimes when I talk about wanting to go into hospital because I'm suicidal I just get told that you can still commit suicide in hospital.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)