Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 16-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
Harbour

I am currently:
Nursing/midwifery/teaching with psychosis...

I'm 21, and still trying to decide what to do with my life. I know I want a job working with people, and at the moment am looking into nursing/midwifery or teaching. I am currently with the early intervention team because of trauma related psychosis as part of borderline personality disorder. ive had dbt and have been out of hospital two years. i was just wondering whether anyone on here was a teacher/nurse etc and had come up against occupational health? I've already had my contract as a Playworker at a school terminated because
Of the report my psychiatrist wrote.

Thanks for any advice :)

Rachel

Harbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

There are several student nurses on here with similar issues for sure, but there aren't so many teachers on here, so I don't know about that.

Once you are reasonably stable, there's no reason why you should be able to go into it, but if you're in/out of hospital it's a bit more difficult (not impossible) to do it right now. You said you've been out of hospital for two years, so it sounds like you should be fine.

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
Taraxacum
This Member is currently Banned

I'm an occupational therapy student and I had to go through Occupational Health once as all students do, then I had to repeat it in the prescence of the OH leader and ellaborate on my answers.

The key to remember is that the purpose of the OH is to help you on the course, not try and kick you off before you've started x

Taraxacum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
Harbour

I am currently:

Thanks for the replies guys :) I'm less worried about the NHS as they're attitude to things like psychosis is better than ofsteads!

Harbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 12:17 AM   #5
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

I'm a nursing student also under early intervention service. I have found occupation health to be really helpful. They did not stop me doing my course dispite several admissions.

You can pm me if you like x

The average,
well-adjusted adult
gets up at 7.30am feeling just plain terrible.

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Ballerina123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 12:24 AM   #6
griddlebone
Head of Chat/Forum Mod.

I am currently:

Im a student teacher, OH were really thorough when talking to me,even though all that I had to declare was bereavement counselling!

I know someone on my course who went through OH with OCD and anxiety and he got on the course but I think there were a lot of things in place with him,not 100 percent on that though!x

There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you.
But there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.
My spoken words.
I aint no abacus but you can count on me.

griddlebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 01:35 AM   #7
startingagain

Lots of teachers work that have MH issues. Unfortunately a lot of it is caused by the job. If you have been stable for some time then it would be possible, but you would have to go through OT. They would require a medical report to say you were fit to teach. It depends on what the psychiatrist wrote and whether that would still be the case.

startingagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)