RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-01-2016, 07:15 PM   #1
chinahorse

I am currently:
Organ donation

Odd thread and wasn't sure if its here or general support is best but does anyone know more about the situations in which someone who has recieved blood transfusions can be an organ donor? Ive tried to read about it with little sucess and Im curious as I fully believe in organ donation and blood donation and would be gutted if Im excluded from saving a life after mine as well as donating blood.

Given enough tea I could rule the world.

chinahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 07:22 PM   #2
shadow-light
He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon

I am currently:

as far as i am awarer oyu can still donate organs. You just need to register, ad then if/when it comes to it if the organs can be used will be decided upon your death as it depends on all sorts including how the person died.
It explains a lot of it on the website where you register

shadow-light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 07:24 PM   #3
chinahorse

I am currently:

Ah cool Im fairly certain Im on the register but then all my nearest and dearest know my wishes.

I know like biologically it could depend on a lot but yeah Im just curious as to what apart from death circumstances.

Given enough tea I could rule the world.

chinahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 08:59 PM   #4
Doikers
Louder Than God's Revolver and Twice as Shiny

I am currently:

In Wales you now have to opt out of organ donation . . . .
When I die I'd love for all my functioning organs to go to help others , they won't be of use to me anymore . . . .

I'm still not comfortable in my skin and the anasthetic's slowly wearing thin - Otep
Everyones lost but me! - Indiana Jones

It's okay , they know me here .

Kahlia1981 is my adopted little sister :)

''Courage doesn't always roar , sometimes courage is that little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow"

Doikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 09:25 PM   #5
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doikers View Post
In Wales you now have to opt out of organ donation . . . .
When I die I'd love for all my functioning organs to go to help others , they won't be of use to me anymore . . . .

See I am the opposite (I opted out).

Last edited by not_so_insig : 25-01-2016 at 10:14 PM.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 09:47 PM   #6
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

It's to do with when and where you had blood. In Europe/UK around 1990 there was a vCJD/BSE outbreak and as it can be dormant in blood there were fears it would taint the blood supply. It's pretty tenuous at best to exclude people for this purpose (like with the exclusion for gay men) but there's an abundance of donors so they can afford to be picky.

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 10:16 PM   #7
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_insig View Post
See I am the opposite (I opted out).
I swear not confrontational but may I ask why? If you don't want to answer feel free to ignore.

In response to the original post I don't think nowadays there are many barriers to being an organ donor if you've had blood transfusions.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

['There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.’ – Oscar Wilde
‘It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back.’ Sydney Carter

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 08:32 PM   #8
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

I am of the extreme belief that organ donation should be mandatory...

But i'll settle for opt out.

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 09:49 PM   #9
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

Yes. But then i think nothing of religion or religious reasons for keeping the organs. I think no God would want that.

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 07:50 PM   #10
Pencils

I wonder if people who would opt out of donating their organs would also refuse to accept an organ if it would save their life. because it wouldn't make sense if not. I also agree they should make it opt out in England too.

Pencils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:19 AM   #11
d.rocky

I am currently:

It should definitely be opt out.

Darkest night, daylight suppressor

d.rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:33 AM   #12
Straight 3

I am currently:

I used to be in a very strict religion that forbids even giving or receiving blood, we would have to sign a form at the hospital stating this of they were in need of blood for an emergency. Last I heard, this was not recognized any longer and people would still receive blood if a transfusion was needed - same with organ donation. The church I am a member of now is much more relaxed when it comes to organ donation, so I am listed and donor on my license.

Straight 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:20 PM   #13
The One Who

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellatrix View Post
I am of the extreme belief that organ donation should be mandatory...

But i'll settle for opt out.
Whereas I am of the belief that the state doesn't own my body, even after death. I do not believe that the government can guarantee with absolute certainty that an organ wouldn't be taken by mistake by someone who had expressly opted out, and so until they can 100% guarantee that no mistake would be made, an opt out system should not be implemented. However, I believe the Welsh Assembly has voted for an opt out system. I wish them the best of luck with dealing with the law suits that will no doubt come their way.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:51 AM   #14
Iamcatbug
Cat

Before I go into a massive rant on organ donation etc, I have a good book suggestion that deals with this exact issue for anyone who is interested- it is called 'Never Let Me Go' by Kazuo Ishiguro

I've hidden the rant below as it is slightly longer than anticipated and kind of went on a slight tangent.

The following content has been hidden - Reason : This turned into an essay
I've been thinking of the opt out thing for a while and my views on it, and I think it is a fair and just thing. We own our bodies during our lifetimes, we should be allowed to decide what happens with them after death, be it donation for other people, donation to science, cremation, burial or whatever we want. If you make organ donation mandatory you are taking away someones right to follow their personal/religious beliefs/views. We apparently live in an equal society and if you make it mandatory to have to donate your organs you are taking away the right to that equality.

Also, there is also the potential issues with people like myself who have health conditions that make it highly unlikely our organs would be any good for donation. Although we all like to imagine we live in an ideal world where we think people wouldn't be judged for not being able to donate for medical reasons, I believe it runs the potential to cause grief for those who couldn't donate.

^^ I'm basing this on the fact that currently for the above mentioned medical conditions I can no longer give blood and have been given grief by a lot of people for not being able to do so. I shouldn't have to explain why I can't do something to people who presume I am doing it for religious reasons.

That all said, I understand both points of view and respect that people have differing opinions.

Iamcatbug is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)