Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 12-02-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
stephielamb

I am currently:
drinking age to 21?

has anyone heard that the goverment want to change the drinking law to 21? thoughts/veiws?

"To my mind the life of a lamb is no less precious than that of a human being. I should be unwilling to take the life of a lamb for the sake of the human body. I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to the protection by man from the cruelty of man."

Mahatma Gandhi

stephielamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
Acrasia

You've only just heard?
I thought this had been around for quite sometime?

Old 12-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
Heidi Tiger
Loon NOS

I am currently:

I'm 21 so *downs wine and looks smug*

no being serious I think it's ridiculous, you can have sex and have babies at 16, you can gt married and leave home at 18, yet you're not allowed to drink until 21, how is it possible that someone could be responsible enough to have a five year old kid without being able to handle a few glasses of wine? bloody nanny state

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination

Heidi Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
The One Who

I am currently:

Most ridiculous idea ever. Just another contradictory thought from the government. One minute they want a more responsible attitude to alcohol, the next they want to protect us all from it and keep us safe.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:04 PM   #5
Acrasia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi Tiger View Post
I'm 21 so *downs wine and looks smug*

no being serious I think it's ridiculous, you can have sex and have babies at 16, you can gt married and leave home at 18, yet you're not allowed to drink until 21, how is it possible that someone could be responsible enough to have a five year old kid without being able to handle a few glasses of wine? bloody nanny state
lolz Heidi @ Nanny State. No idea why but that cracked me up! So true.

I'm in agreement with Heidi here. Although if someone looked under the age of 21 in shops (from experience of working in retail) i had to ask for I.D. even though legally they can drink at 18. It's all the do with the new laws being brought in.

But yep. What Heidi said. And even if the law was changed to 21, it REALLY wouldn't change anything, you'll still get people "underage" drinking.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
J.K

I heard about this idea a while ago and that the Irish government where thinking of the same thing, and if it does go through in Britain I'm sure they'll seriously consider it.
Personally, I'd find it annoying as I can drink without a) starting a fight b) destroying something or c) thinking driving is a great a idea. But unfortunately some people can't.
Really, they can raise it but if "kids" want to get alcohol they'll get it. It's not like it's impossible even when you're not 18 to buy booze so raising the age will just be a little more of a challenge.

It agree with the whole "nanny state" thing above as well.

J.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:22 PM   #7
Field Of Paper Flowers
Random Hero

I am currently:

I heard about it a few days ago and was basically looking like this =| with a mix of =(.

I don't really want it to change, due to the fact I feel I should only be made legal once, not twice. That's just weird!

Hopefully they'll say anyone aged 18-20 won't suffer. *nods* =P

Field Of Paper Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
Cathy
Stunned

I am currently:

I think 18 is just fine, thanks!

How far can you send emotions?

Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 01:24 AM   #9
-Asphyxia-
-loser-

I am currently:

I'm assuming this is in the UK?

That's interesting, because here in the States, a lot of people bitch about lowering the drinking age to 18 or 19...You can go fight in a war, vote, but you can't drink a beer?! Silly if you ask me. Maybe lowering the age would reduce the excessive binge drinking problem on my campus... Is binge-drinking/alcoholism a problem in the UK as well??

-poisonous-

-Asphyxia- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 05:28 AM   #10
Dreamofunity

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Asphyxia- View Post
You can go fight in a war, vote, but you can't drink a beer?! Silly if you ask me.
That.

Dreamofunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 05:52 AM   #11
Malign

I am currently:

In the US where I am it's 21, and I think it's ridiculous. If I wanted to sign up right now to go to war and risk my life I could as an 18 year old, but I can't have a drink. I don't get it!

Malign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 06:00 AM   #12
KittenEyes

I am currently:

^^ Yeah! I'm American, so I know how much it sucks having the age be 21... I just turned 20, I hate it! I don't know why it's not 18.. O.o

(//'''O,,,O)//'''

KittenEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #13
ZDrache
What do you Care? -|- What do you Dare?

I am currently:

It's was ****in' irritating raising the age for buying tobacco to 18 (sometimes I like a little roll-up at lunchtime to relax), so to this law I say: you can perform a certain sexual act upon me with your mouth. Or you can go an perform a certain sexual act on yourself with your hand. Or both.

Let people ****ing take responsibility for themselves. Anyway - if it's not working now, how will it ever?

I despise this nanny-state twattery.

"Well yeah, and I'm sad, but at the same time I'm really happy that something could make me feel that sad. It's like, it makes me feel alive, you know? It makes me feel human. And the only way I could feel this sad now is if I felt somethin' really good before. So I have to take the bad with the good, so I guess what I'm feelin' is like a, beautiful sadness. I guess that sounds stupid." "Yeah."

ZDrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 12:41 PM   #14
Lou Lou
hell on high heels

I am currently:

It doesn't affect me in any way since I'm almost 23 but it is such a ludicrous suggestion.

Like everyone else has said, you can vote, drive, have sex, get married - but you can't order a glass of wine with your meal in a resteraunt!

I don't see what the point of this is anyway. To lower alcohol consumption? Like that's going to make a difference? Surely this just increase the number of underage drinkers and puts another shameful statistic on the UK.

When the world says give up
Hope whispers try one more time

Lou Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 12:53 PM   #15
user_name

I am currently:

I doubt they would make it any different for the people between 18 and 21 if it were to come into effect, just as people between 16 and 18 turned legal twice for tobacco.

I don't want it to happen being only almost 20 and all, turning legal twice would suck balls.

user_name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #16
OutOfTheWoods11
I'll let you **** my soul, for a hit of that glow

I am currently:

If it does happen I believe it would be pointless.
At my age, alcohol is easy to come by 'illegally'.
It would ruin 'legal' student social life while creating a 'blackmarket' for students.
University Studnt Unions owuld lose a hell of a lot of revenue.
= Lower student satisfaction
Also, the 18-21 demographic contributes a HUGE amount to the economy in terms of alcohol sales, and most of the alcohol-induced crime would be maintained by the aforementioned 'illegal' alcohol anyway.....

So many faces I have seen, so many places not yet been.
So many people I have met, so many names not to forget.
Such beautiful people in their right, laughing, dancing through the night.
So many faces I have seen, the futures so bright it can't be seen.
Is any of this even real?

OutOfTheWoods11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 08:25 PM   #17
The One Who

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Asphyxia- View Post
Is binge-drinking/alcoholism a problem in the UK as well??
A massive problem. But increasing the drinking age and making it more and more taboo will not reduce the problem and will only make it worse. We need to have a more sensible attitude towards alcohol, this doesn't come from a short-term campaign, it needs long-term commitment.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 08:31 PM   #18
espoir

I am currently:

nooo *crys*
ive already been waiting long enough to do it legally....
its hard enough trying to look 18 (am 17) never mind 21...

not that i agre with binge drinking etc but surely at 18 you know the risks and its your choice.

After all this has passed, i still will remain

After i've cried my last, there'll be beauty from pain

If nothing is ventured, well how can you win?

1 year free

espoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 08:51 PM   #19
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

It's an old idea. They were thinking of doing it when they raised the smoking age to 18.

They've dropped it now I think.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 07:48 PM   #20
surprising mystery

I am currently:

I dont think the age is the problem, I think its how easily and cheaply drink can be bought. I think alcohol should only be sold in alcohol shops, not supermarkets. You bring your kids to a supermarket for the family supplies, but you wouldnt bring your kids to a wine shop.

L_M_G is my mummy :) inkerman and razorbladedarling are my two non-identical twin sprogs (concieved on same day) Scabette< cos she has the cutest puppy dog eyes and i cant resist!feeling-afraid< my bottle of glitter!! which i just have to have :Pmidnight stars< my gorgeous sister, whom i love to bits ;) Dance With The Fairy< *star*gazing*buddie :] Broken-Fairy is my partner in crime ;) little_miss is my real life saviour PaperClip is my stationary queen

surprising mystery is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)