Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 18-02-2014, 08:54 PM   #21
Charmed
I'm safe up high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror. View Post
Confused. Rowland = J.K. Rowling, author? Or have I missed something?
I AM ASHAMED. I read Rowland when Jack wrote it and didn't think. (At least I assume Jack meant Rowling!)

Have you ever looked fear in the face and said "I just don't care"?

Charmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 09:17 PM   #22
tamobhuuta

I am currently:

watch them in order first. but I now re-watch them in any order I choose :)

with Christ I hang upon the cross

tamobhuuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 03:45 PM   #23
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
I AM ASHAMED. I read Rowland when Jack wrote it and didn't think. (At least I assume Jack meant Rowling!)
As you can see I never paid much attention to the author lol. I mainly think of her as Little Ms Dicken's Lite

Isoverity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 06:30 PM   #24
The One Who

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoverity View Post
I'm thinking of trying "Catcher in the Rye" though
AVOID! It seems to be popular, particularly with teenagers, but I've read it and never understood the appeal at all. Honestly, you can skip to the end and not feel like you've missed anything. It's just whining throughout.

As for Harry Potter, the books are easily read and the films are average. But yes, watch them in order. The first two are the most faithful to the book, but the acting is awful.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 08:22 PM   #25
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Who View Post
AVOID! It seems to be popular, particularly with teenagers, but I've read it and never understood the appeal at all. Honestly, you can skip to the end and not feel like you've missed anything. It's just whining throughout.

As for Harry Potter, the books are easily read and the films are average. But yes, watch them in order. The first two are the most faithful to the book, but the acting is awful.

Actually I've tried to read Catcher before and found it boring. I can see where it was a big deal in the 60s but now seems a bit overcooked. I was only going to read it as a kind of excursion into cultural history. If it wasn't short I wouldn't even have considered it lol. Alas the recent hype over Beatles 50 year anniversary of US television appearance has sapped my enthusiasm for anything popular in the 60's

Old 26-02-2014, 06:07 AM   #26
Severus Snape
Potions Master

I am currently:

I like to watch them and all film series for that matter, in order to make the most sense of the overall plot and to understand character development.

I read all the books before watching their respective films and I recommend reading the books AFTER you've watched the films otherwise you'll be a bit disappointed in the films.

Lord of the Rings adapted well to film but Harry Potter films left a lot to be desired in my opinion.

Have fun!

Last edited by Severus Snape : 26-02-2014 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Typos galore
Severus Snape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:02 PM   #27
ShadoWalkr17

I am currently:

Haven't seen all of them

ShadoWalkr17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:56 AM   #28
Mandee

Yes you need to watch them in order so you know what is fully going on. It will also help if you read the books. I have read all of them and loved them.

Mandee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 03:42 AM   #29
Isoverity

I am currently:

Got through "Chamber of Secrets so far". Its grueling but I'm focused and willing.

Old 28-10-2014, 07:08 PM   #30
The One Who

I am currently:

The acting is awful!

Jack, what is so gruelling about them? They should be a relatively easy watch, even for someone with no knowledge of the 'universe'.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:34 AM   #31
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
The acting is awful!

Jack, what is so gruelling about them? They should be a relatively easy watch, even for someone with no knowledge of the 'universe'.

Well what happens is that my attention drifts, and I have to go back and watch parts over again.

Its also long been my contention that JKR was intentionally mimicking Dickens albeit with an infusion of "magical" elements. She uses the same themes, characters, environments, iconography etc. The books/movies have their charms but I confess I find them a wee bit schlocky. I was cracking up over the "Norwegian Ridgeback" dragon. I was like "Really JK!? A Norwegian fecking Ridgeback dragon haha?!

Old 03-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #32
Heartbreak Kid
Everyone deserves the chance to fly

I am currently:

It doesn't sound like you enjoy watching them Jack, so why do you bother?
If I don't like a movie or book I just don't consume them and that works fine for me.

Some things I cannot change
But till I try, I'll never know

Heartbreak Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:28 PM   #33
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banríon View Post
It doesn't sound like you enjoy watching them Jack, so why do you bother?
If I don't like a movie or book I just don't consume them and that works fine for me.

Well I do like Dickens so there are things I can like about such a thorough "sampling" of Dickens as the rappers say! I'm also expecting the latter films to get better. The second and third seem to be the runts of the litter according to reviews.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #34
Heartbreak Kid
Everyone deserves the chance to fly

I am currently:

I like the third one, but probably mostly because of Gary Oldman.

Hope you get some sort of enjoyment out of the other ones so you won't end up wasting all your time with this. :P

Some things I cannot change
But till I try, I'll never know

Heartbreak Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:27 PM   #35
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banríon View Post
I like the third one, but probably mostly because of Gary Oldman.

Hope you get some sort of enjoyment out of the other ones so you won't end up wasting all your time with this. :P

Well for better or worse Potter books/films are part of culture landscape now so its good to know the basics. I know what a Muggle is now lol. I didn't like "Catcher in the Rye" either but I read it because it was a "big deal" in the counter-culture of the 60s. I approach these things as a social scientist lol.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #36
The One Who

I am currently:

^ I agree with trying to understand and know more about what is/has influencing culture. Jack, have you tried some of the comedic parodies of Harry Potter, things like the "Harry Potter in 60/99 seconds"? They might be worth a go. I haven't actually watched any of them, but when people can make a comedy stage show out of it there must be something to it.

Old 17-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #37
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
^ I agree with trying to understand and know more about what is/has influencing culture. Jack, have you tried some of the comedic parodies of Harry Potter, things like the "Harry Potter in 60/99 seconds"? They might be worth a go. I haven't actually watched any of them, but when people can make a comedy stage show out of it there must be something to it.

No I haven't heard of any of that. I still getting thru the meat on the bone. I'll watch third film this week. I want to finish by Christmas.

Its funny that a few weeks ago I was watching this kid do a rap song (Alphabet Aerobics) on TV, and I didn't even recognize he was Daniel Radcliffe.

Last edited by Isoverity : 17-11-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:53 AM   #38
Isoverity

I am currently:

Finally got through all the films thanks to a Harry Potter weekend on television. Deffo like the latter ones better. I floated in and out on the plots. It was like watching football or baseball where there seems to be a lot of action not particulary leading to anything and then a goal gets scored with a lot of attending noise. I was surprised how "religious" the stories were considering I racall hearing complaints about witchcraft and such. There was a lot of "sampling" as the rappers say but overall I liked the films more than I thought I might

"Not all those who wander are lost" Tolkien

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)