RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 03-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
Fitzwilliam

I am currently:
Skin Camouflage?

So on Wednesday I have my first therapy session, and the Tuesday before I have a doctors appointment.
In this appointment I want to try and discuss the skin camouflage that has been said around here a few times, and I have also asked the crisis team about it and said that it is available.
Problem is my 'usual' doctor who knows about my recent history is away, and I don't know how to talk to someone new about it.

I think the cover up may be one of the keys to my recovery, I've been a self harmer for about 6 years or so now, and the scars just remind me of it. It just seemed fitting to go about it at the same time as therapy.

The question is, has anyone else asked about this at the doctors and how has their response been? Did you get it, not get it?
I'm just really nervous to be rejected it, as I don't know if I can move on properly...my confidence is shattered because of my scars. Plus the NHS is a bit tight on things like this. And yeah. May seem a small issue, so sorry if it is. :/

'Coincidence...it's what the Universe does for...fun.'
The Doctor

Fitzwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
TrixiePix
Terri

I am currently:

I didn't even realise you can get this stuff on the NHS I will be asking my doctor about it next time I'm in. I can't offer any help or advise but if you can let me know how it goes with your dr i would be very grateful :) Good luck

'We may not have it all together, but together we have it all'

TrixiePix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #3
Epiphany_Addict

I am currently:

I've been referred for this and I'm currently waiting for confirmation of my appointment, so I'll answer as far as I can. (BTW, having agonised for months over whether or not to do this... don't worry, it's NOT a small issue!)

The first thing I'll say is this: there's very little chance I can see that you'll be outright 'rejected' access to the service. If you ask, your GP should definitely agree to send off a referral. The appointment itself could be several months away, depending on where you live, and you won't hear from Changing Faces until a slot becomes free. I'm not sure, but I get the impression that they hold clinics every month or so (someone correct me here?).

I've asked for information from two Skin Camouflage services (one in Teesside and one in Cambridge), and both said that they were perfectly OK offering the free consultations to ex-self-injurers. They were very reluctant to treat people with fresh or healing cuts due to the infection risk, and might have similar reservations if you're still actively SIing but don't have fresh wounds. This last point seems to vary a bit from clinic to clinic, though. And they were nice about it - it's not as thought they were judging anyone.

I think it's the decision to prescribe the make-up that is the biggest postcode lottery, so it's worth finding out what your GP's policy is before you ask for the referral. My Teesside GP is fine about it, while my Cambridge one tends to view the cream as 'cosmetic' and therefore won't fund it. Even if you can't get it prescribed, you can still have the consultation with Skin Camouflage and then pay for the creams afterwards, although that's obviously a bit more expensive.

Hope that's helpful!

Last edited by Epiphany_Addict : 03-08-2012 at 11:32 PM.

Epiphany_Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:33 AM   #4
Fitzwilliam

I am currently:

I will let you know how it goes on Tuesday (:

Thank you for that really informative reply. As your GP in Teesside is fine about it, it gives me some hope as I'm currently living in Sunderland. The waiting list sounds not so good though.
At the moment I guess I am still an 'active' self injurer due to currently trying not to, but I feel it's vital to be able to cover the scars up that may help me to stop. Then I won't be encouraged (for lack of a better word) by my old scars. Also it may make me think twice if I have some form of treatment for them as I wouldn't be able to use the product if I had fresh cuts (as you said, due to infection etc).

Thank you so much for your reply. It seems like more of a process than I first thought, however a process that's well worth doing. (:
Hopefully the doctor I see will be able to put the process into motion...*fingers crossed*

The Doctor

Old 04-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #5
Epiphany_Addict

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzwilliam View Post
Thank you for that really informative reply. As your GP in Teesside is fine about it, it gives me some hope as I'm currently living in Sunderland. The waiting list sounds not so good though.

It's probably a good idea to contact your local clinic (or ask your GP to do it) and find out what the waiting time is like near you. 2-3 months seems to be the average at the moment. In Newcastle, it's closer to 7! Stockton is being a little vague about it and they've only said 'before the end of the year'. You do have a clinic in Sunderland but I don't really know anything about that one.

Quote:
At the moment I guess I am still an 'active' self injurer due to currently trying not to, but I feel it's vital to be able to cover the scars up that may help me to stop. Then I won't be encouraged (for lack of a better word) by my old scars. Also it may make me think twice if I have some form of treatment for them as I wouldn't be able to use the product if I had fresh cuts (as you said, due to infection etc).

I totally get this - having the cream isn't just another tool that allows you to hide something you're currently doing; it's something that means you can start to move forward from it. I'm pretty sure the Skin Cam people understand this, and I doubt they expect you to absolutely never do it again if you see them - they won't test you for urges! It's just the infection risk that they're concerned about.

I guess the annoyingly epic waiting times could work in your favour here. You said you're starting therapy this Wednesday? Well, then you've got a minimum of 2-3 months, and possibly more, in which to move from a tentative 'trying to stop' to a firmer 'I haven't done it in X amount of time', with your therapist as support and the make-up as a possible motivation. Does that sound feasible?

Old 04-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
Fitzwilliam

I am currently:

They have a clinic in Sunderland?! I may give them a ring on Monday then before I go to the doctors, just so I'm prepared like.
Yes, definately something to move forward with (: And that does sound pretty feasible yeah. I mean at the moment the crisis team are calling my situation a 'recovery' now, so the therapy should help really help with that and explore why I do what I do etc.

The Doctor

Old 04-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
Epiphany_Addict

I am currently:

Quote:
They have a clinic in Sunderland?! I may give them a ring on Monday then before I go to the doctors, just so I'm prepared like.
According to this, you do: http://www.changingfaces.org.uk/Skin.../North-England. I can't find any contact details for individual clinics, though. Does the Bunny Hill Health Centre ring any bells?

And I'm glad things seem to be going better for you now. It might be worth you mentioning the Skin Camouflage referral to your therapist, so they know that's a goal you're working towards.

Good luck with it all!

Old 04-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
Lemur
Jessy

I am currently:

I have the skin camo makeup :) it works wonders. I was referred after I had steroid injections in my scars to flatten them. I didn't wait for long, and had to go up to the local hospital for the appointment. All they did was test different shades on my skin and find one/mix one that matched mine. I got it on prescription. I had 3 different shades for different areas and a 'fixing powder' - its just like foundation to be honest! And water proof ;)

Lemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #9
Fitzwilliam

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possibility_Girl View Post
According to this, you do: http://www.changingfaces.org.uk/Skin.../North-England. I can't find any contact details for individual clinics, though. Does the Bunny Hill Health Centre ring any bells?

And I'm glad things seem to be going better for you now. It might be worth you mentioning the Skin Camouflage referral to your therapist, so they know that's a goal you're working towards.

Good luck with it all!
Bunny Hill Health Centre does ring bells, been there before although it is a bit of a trek away from where I am, however it will be well worth it!
Thank you (:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
I have the skin camo makeup :) it works wonders. I was referred after I had steroid injections in my scars to flatten them. I didn't wait for long, and had to go up to the local hospital for the appointment. All they did was test different shades on my skin and find one/mix one that matched mine. I got it on prescription. I had 3 different shades for different areas and a 'fixing powder' - its just like foundation to be honest! And water proof ;)
That sounds pretty awesome,especially as it's water proof. Glad you managed to get it on prescription. Sounds like something well worth going for, even waiting for.
Thank you!

The Doctor

Old 07-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #10
Epiphany_Addict

I am currently:

Hi! Just wondered how your doctor's appointment went today? Did they agree to refer you?

Old 07-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #11
Fitzwilliam

I am currently:

Thanks. I was just about to update.
It was the worst doctors appointment ever! I nearly didn't get my meds cos he didn't believe me I ran out and stuff...In there for an hour and a half!
And then I asked to be referred, so he said I need to make another appointment to see my regular doctor. I explained she's off sick and I wanted to start my recovery with therapy and he still said no. I broke down and walked out, my receptionist then asked what's up. So I told them about the referral saying I need a doctor to refer me, they asked about the organisation's name and the location. Took them like 5 seconds to find the referral form! Something the doctor says takes time. -_-
They said they will print it off and get one of their doctors to fill it in on my behalf and send it off. I'm hoping so.
I'm also going to try ringing them up myself and explaining the circumstances of my doctor being off sick and see if I can get a self referral...

I don't know why it impacted me so much, but I tried explaining but he wouldn't listen...I'm also going to mention it tomorrow to my therapist I think. See what they say. (:

The Doctor

Old 07-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #12
Epiphany_Addict

I am currently:

Wow - I'm sorry it was so awful! He sounds like a terrible doctor! Did he give any reasons for being so harsh?

Just a couple of things that might be useful for you to know - some counties are starting to accept self-referrals as they clear the backlog from when the Red Cross ran the service, but to my knowledge, Tyne and Wear isn't one of them. I don't think you'll get them to budge on that now, though if you wait a few months, you might find that it becomes possible. Alternatively, all Skin Camouflage branches will accept referrals from ANY professional involved with you, including your therapist, so it's definitely worth asking for their help with this when you see them tomorrow. You'll still have to convince a GP to prescribe the cream, but by the time you've had your appointment, I imagine your regular and more humane doctor will be available!

Hope you're ok.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #13
Fitzwilliam

I am currently:

My normal doctor would've sat with me and talked to me. She has been amazing with my mental health side of things...he just didn't seem to care from the moment I stepped in he had my notes up and stuff.
The receptionist was pretty helpful though...surprised me.

I checked on the website, but I may be able to speak to them and see what the waiting list etc is I guess? And ANY professional? Definately worth speaking to my therapist about it tomorrow, alternatively I may speak to the crisis team as they may be able to refer too. Yeah, if there's a few months wait then hopefully she'll be back! Just wanted things in motion so to speak.

Thank you! It took me a lot to ask about it, just because I didn't think they'd understand and I know I will never go back to the doctors about stuff unless my regular GP is there. No way.

The Doctor

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)