Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 31-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
TrixiePix
Terri

I am currently:
Explaining to boyfriend.

So my boyfriend is trying to convince me I don't need the Flouxetine or the Drs help to get better. I am trying to explain that I have tried to get better on my own and it always ends badly.

He is not good at talking about serious things so I generally keep things to myself but I am really starting to feel like I need to explain it to him. I just don't know where or how to start. I don't want to do it in a letter because he is uncomfortable about that stuff so he might just ignore it or not read it and I'll constantly be wondering if he has read it yet or what he thinks of me and I'll drive myself crazy.

So, any idea how to go about explaining it? I have told him before in bits here and there but I think it might be better if I sit him down and explain the whole story of why I feel how I do and why I need help before I end up in hospital, again.

'We may not have it all together, but together we have it all'

TrixiePix is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Hugs Given By :
Old 31-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
TrixiePix
Terri

I am currently:

He thinks 'think happy and you will be happy' I told him today I will hopefully be able to go into therapy and he doesn't see the point.

Talking it through will be difficult but I know I have to do it before I start resenting him for not understanding, which isn't his fault if I never really explain it to him. Just don't really know how to go about explaining, or how to bring it up. I would consider getting drunk first but I can't drink anymore. Any advise on how to start a conversation like this?

Old 31-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
Tig

I am wondering if talking is not an option, would writing something down be easier for you and for him? If you were to write down how things are for you and give it to him and then give him some space to digest what you have written, you might get more of a processed response?

x

Tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #4
TrixiePix
Terri

I am currently:

Don't really want to go the letter route. I worry that he might not read it, probably just being paranoid but that's what I do. I was thinking of writing down what I want to say so I have it straight before I try talking to him properly.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:00 AM   #5
PassedExpectations
a mirror that reflects it

I am currently:

getting drunk (him or you) first will probably make it more likely that things will go wrong. it may be stressful to be fully aware during the conversation, but being drunk will mean that the conversation could easily stray from what you want him to know, and there could be lots of confusion.

i would plan a time to talk when neither of you are rushed or stressed, and set it aside for talking about this. you could try telling him that he needs to not talk at first and just let you get through what you need to say, and then he can ask question after. maybe you could make some bullet points for yourself, to keep you on topic when you talk to him. give him suggestions of what he can do to help, and explain what won't be helpful from him...

this is my magical medicine cabinet. Left to right they contain: courage, hope, calmness, and strength.

The magical part: They NEVER run out, so borrow some any time you want.

PM me anytime, I love getting messages :)
Katie

PassedExpectations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
TrixiePix
Terri

I am currently:

That sounds like a good plan. I wouldn't go the drunk route really I have told him something after a night out before and he didn't remember it in the morning. Were a little at odds at the moment over a stray cat I'm trying to foster that he doesn't want to come in. But I have used taking care of George (the stray) as a distraction.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
csu.claire
aspiring social worker

I am currently:

hay
i know exactly what its like, as my boyfriend of 2 years is the same
the first time i told hi he just cried and said y r u doing this to me and i needed to quit
he was searvly abused as a child and didn't turn to cutting and so his theory is why should i, he also feels the same way as i am on anti depressants( although for some time i don't think they have helped) and says i don't need to cut or take medication to be happy

csu.claire is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)