RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 26-03-2020, 05:20 PM   #1
bella049

Self-discharging from services - questions

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking and getting a lot out of reading all your posts. Thank you to everyone who shares their stories.

I'm in the UK and I have some questions about self-discharging/deregistering from services (CMHT and GP). I'd love to hear from anyone who has done this?

The reason I want to discharge myself is because:

1. they're not doing anything for me anyway
2. I'm planning to kill myself
3. they've found out where I'm living and I can't deal with the paranoia thinking they're going to come and get me in the night like they did before
4. I hate speaking to them and they won't leave me alone and I just want to be left alone

I phoned them both today and whoever answered the phone said they would process my requests.

My questions are:

The CMHT said I'd been marked today as 'closed' to them. What does this mean? Will they definitely leave me alone now?
The GP said they would process my request in a week. Because of my MH, will they refuse my request? Can I appeal this?

thank you <3

Last edited by Pi.R^2 : 29-03-2020 at 12:47 PM. Reason: please see your PMs
bella049 is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 27-03-2020, 02:44 AM   #2
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

If you’ve been marked as ‘closed’ that means you are not open to them and as such have no appointments or contact coming up.

Guess I’m struggling a little to know what exactly you are wanting or how to respond because of that.

I guess at least ‘they won’t leave me alone’ has been challenged by them closing you. So that’s one point that you don’t need to give emotional space to.

Regarding GP, I would be surprised if they ‘deregistered’ you because it’s strongly recommended people have a GP for medication purposes (for any condition) and general health checks. Plus your GP
must have had your address for registration? If CMHT have discharged you it would be unlikely your GP would ‘send anyone’ to detain you. I’m guessing they may try and call you to check you have capacity. So you might get a phone call from them, but being diagnosed with a mental health condition is not grounds to have appointments forced on your or to refuse to dereguster you (although I’m not sure about deregistering from a gp).

What did you want from calling them? Had they been contacting you a lot?
What happened when people came to your home?

Also, if you’re going to kill yourself, does it matter if the GP has you as a listed patient? Presumably you won’t be contacting them to share your plans etc?

Are you on any medication?

Last edited by Pi.R^2 : 29-03-2020 at 12:48 PM. Reason: removed reference to edited content

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Pomegranate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 10:50 AM   #3
bella049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomegranate View Post
If you’ve been marked as ‘closed’ that means you are not open to them and as such have no appointments or contact coming up.

Guess I’m struggling a little to know what exactly you are wanting or how to respond because of that.

I guess at least ‘they won’t leave me alone’ has been challenged by them closing you. So that’s one point that you don’t need to give emotional space to.

Regarding GP, I would be surprised if they ‘deregistered’ you because it’s strongly recommended people have a GP for medication purposes (for any condition) and general health checks. Plus your GP
must have had your address for registration? If CMHT have discharged you it would be unlikely your GP would ‘send anyone’ to detain you. I’m guessing they may try and call you to check you have capacity. So you might get a phone call from them, but being diagnosed with a mental health condition is not grounds to have appointments forced on your or to refuse to dereguster you (although I’m not sure about deregistering from a gp).

What did you want from calling them? Had they been contacting you a lot?
What happened when people came to your home?

Also, if you’re going to kill yourself end of April, does it matter if the GP has you as a listed patient? Presumably you won’t be contacting them to share your plans etc?

Are you on any medication?
Hi, thank you so much for replying. I appreciate it! Here's the answers to your questions:

I'm wanting a bit of reassurance that they will leave me alone so I can stop being so paranoid every time the phone rings or I hear someone outside. When I had a house I've had the police and doctors come to my house and section me.

Thank you for explaining what being closed means, that's really helpful.

Until last week I was homeless and living on the streets for 3 months so no-one ever had my address. I'm staying with a friend at the moment because of Covid19 so now they know exactly where I am (because he told them.)

People have been calling a lot in the last few weeks and one sent the police to find me. I met the police on the street so they couldn't find out where I lived. The police said I was fine and let me go.

I want the GP to deregister me so they don't get any calls or letters from people who are concerned about me. I don't want the CMHT to tell them I've discharged myself. But you're right that it's unlikely they'd try to section me. But I'm worried they might try and send the police again.

My GP and my ex-psych know that I have a plan & have known that for months. But no, I won't be telling them when I'm planning to do it. I'd rather be dead than in hospital.

I was on lithium & venlafaxine (diagnosed with bipolar but I don't think I have it). I'm tapering the venlafaxine atm and I've stopped the lithium. So I don't need any refills.

bella049 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)