RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 30-07-2007, 06:38 PM   #1
*Beth*
Beth

I am currently:
Medication Question - A question about prescriptions

I'm sorry, this isn't so much a first aid question as a request for any knowledge people have.

I suffer from hemiplegic migraines, and also have had a few episodes of 'status migrainous' which i've been hospitalised for/

I'm getting a migraine now.. my left side is tingling and my headache is getting to the point where it's pretty much unbearable. I've taken some paracetamol and codeine like i'm meant to... but it's not helping and i've now run out of my presciption of codeine.

My question is... can GP's prescribe anything stronger than codeine or is it only hospitals that can? I don't want to cart myself off to A^E, so if i can get a doctor on call-out it would be much better, but i don't want to waste their time if they can't prescribe anything stronger than i have already.

Again BIG apologies if i'm breaking any rules or this isn't something i'm meant to ask here (i can't actually see my screen very well and am relying on my touch typing to write this... so reading the rules/guidelines is pretty much not an option right now.. sorry)

Liz
x

(PS - Rwading the replies is gonna be fun too :D Gotta love big black spots in your eyes)

Last edited by *Beth* : 30-07-2007 at 06:39 PM. Reason: added bit at the bottom

It's gonna take a long time to love

It's gonna take a lot to hold on

It's gonna be a long way to happy.

Old 30-07-2007, 06:50 PM   #2
Bitter_Angel
*First Aid Advisor*

I am currently:

Hey Lizzie.
Dont worry about asking.
As far as i am aware Doctors can prescribe stronger pain relief as long as it is for a tempory period.
Also have you tried some of the over the counter style items such as migraleve? I know that these do still contain codiene.
You could ring your out of hours doctor or nhs direct who should be able to arrange for you to be seen.

Take care
Kim

Eva. Gone, but never forgotten 27.3.10

Old 30-07-2007, 07:03 PM   #3
Stellata

My dad used to get bad migraines. He took Migraleve, and it really helped him.

((((Liz)))))

I hope it eases off soon.

Old 30-07-2007, 07:38 PM   #4
Aidee

I am currently:

I'm not sure how perscriptions and such work in the UK, but i would guess that there is probably another medication that your GP can give you to see if that helps at all. You can always call your GP and ask them if they can give you something stronger, so that way you don't make an appointment for nothing.

Well it breaks my heart to see you this way,
The beauty in life, where's it gone?
And somebody told me you were doing okay,
Somehow I guess they were wrong.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:47 PM   #5
Trucktastic
Mother Trucker

I am currently:

I hope you're okay now, Love.

You can get things that are a lot stronger on prescription from your GP, from tablets, to patches, and injections and such.

they won't know until you tell them that you're not getting any relief from whatever they've prescribed you though. Most of the time they'll always go for the weakest things first, until they stop working. So it should be okay for you to ask for something stronger since it's not working.
(codeine works better as a pain killer when it's mixed with another painkiller, odd that they've just prescribed you codeine on it's own unless you have to pay for prescriptions).

Some of the stronger painkillers will make you sleepy, but that's a small price to pay if they work better for you.

But do speak to your GP and take care

Lozx

You don't have to be a monkey to recognize a banana!

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)