RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2009, 07:27 PM   #1
Fallen Rain
Abstract Tobacco

I am currently:
Triggers/Trigger Warnings/ Oversensitivity to Triggers Discussion

I hope it’s ok to bring this up, I think it’s needed. We briefly touched upon it in “I propose”, and I think it is very much needed.
I find the oversensitivity to triggers very worrying. I accept there is sometimes a need for trigger warnings if something is graphic, in particular with sexual abuse. However, trigger warnings are an internet made concept, not a concept of self harm itself. I think if you see the word ‘cut’ or ‘razor blade’ and get triggered by it, that is extremely concerning and I question how such a person can justify coming on RYL if even the words are triggering, because surely the whole point of a self harm site is to talk about self harm.

I do not understand how people can find things like the names of tools, or words like ‘blood’ triggering. I think trigger warnings are so overused people no longer know whether they are going to be triggered by something. Furthermore I think it is worrying for it to be acceptable for people to be triggered at things.

I’m going to get flamed for this, but in away it seems to be like over-indulging in something that as self harmers we should be able to deal with seeing the word razor or whatever, after all if it is such a frightening thing why the hell are we cutting ourselves in the first place?

I think it is detrimental that we have such a sensitivity to triggers on RYL. It blocks meaningful discussion and people no longer have an awareness of when something is going too far, or when something is indeed triggering or an excuse to get upset or whatever.

Sorry if I have offended. Thoughts?

Last edited by Fallen Rain : 05-06-2009 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Title
Fallen Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
Popple

I agree but with this bit especially
Quote:
I think trigger warnings are so overused people no longer know whether they are going to be triggered by something. Furthermore I think it is worrying for it to be acceptable for people to be triggered at things.

You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.

Popple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
Lou Lou
hell on high heels

I am currently:

I have to admit that I have similar feelings. I understand that we all have to be considerate of each other but sometimes it seems to get a bit.....ridiculous!

What concerns me about the notion of "blood...cut....razor" being triggering is that these are just words not emotions. I was under the impression that self harm was a response to emotions not the English Language.

mmm I have more to add but my son needs a bath

When the world says give up
Hope whispers try one more time

Lou Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:04 PM   #4
BlindSpot.
Kiss Kiss, Bang, Bang.

I am currently:

I definitely agree. I also like the way Lou Lou put this;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Lou View Post
What concerns me about the notion of "blood...cut....razor" being triggering is that these are just words not emotions. I was under the impression that self harm was a response to emotions not the English Language.

With demons dancing off mirror images reflecting all that you wanted.
So far from perfect, onward we will strive.
Take it for what it's worth, this truth that you've realized.
You're not who you thought you were, it's time to see the other side of what you have become.

BlindSpot. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
tigris
I tried to be perfect, it just wasn't worth it.

I am currently:

I agree, I pretty much ignore the Trigger labels when reading posts now as some things are labelled so wrongly that it doesn't make a difference trying to be careful. Posting in the SI board means you are obviously going to mention scars, cuts, tools and whatever, but as said above, everybody here knows what these are already, they are not shocking or tipsharing.

So yeh, well said I think.

I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell.
I know, right now you can't tell.
But stay a while and maybe then you'll see
A different side of me Unwell - Matchbox 20

"Why inflict pain on oneself, when so many others are ready to save us the trouble?"
George Pacaud (1879 - 1937)

tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:24 PM   #6
rockaroni
Captain Rainbow!!!

I am currently:

Mmhmm I completely agree basically. But I'm one of those people that aren't really "triggered" by anything external, only the crap that happens to me, or is in some way directly related to me. So maybe it's easy for me to say. I hardly read the labels any more.

I understand why we have them, but sometimes I just put them there even if it's just a mention, which seems a bit much... but the real world doesn't have trigger labels. And I know this is a place people come to feel safe, but there's safe and there's cotton wool.

Wake me up before I change again
Remind me the story that I won't get insane
Tell me why it's always the same
Explain me the reason why I'm so much in pain.

rockaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:30 PM   #7
Ami
Perfectly Flawed

I am currently:

i dont even look at trigger labels, im expecting most things to mention some element of self harm/suicide etc on a self harm website. especially when forums are designed for specific posts. such as eating disorders etc x

I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.

Ami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:34 PM   #8
[pretty on the inside]

I am currently:

I find the ED board triggers very vague, as was mentioned in a previous thread. I don't personally get triggered by any mention of SI other than when people really want to do it, or if I read about someone harming 'better' than me (as in doing more damage than I would). Maybe there should be a sticky explaining about the trigger labels in more depth than they currently do?

xKaylx

[pretty on the inside] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #9
The War Doctor
Man ist, was man isst

I am currently:

I completely agree. Obviously there will always be a few people who are quite easily triggered, and it could happen to anyone if we're in a "bad place" I think, but it really does come with the territory; like a recovering alcoholic working in a pub - he/she can't expect to bloody well avoid coming across alcohol now and then.

As sad as it is, for many of us "cut" and "blood" and "razor" are, for the time being, facts of life, and pretty much unavoidable without wrapping ourselves in cotton-wool, closing our eyes and putting our fingers in our ears.

Obviously trigger labels are useful, and in some cases necessary, whether a post is triggering for sexual abuse or is just image-heavy, but we're big boys and girls here, and I think we can handle seeing words like "cut" and "blood" on what is more or less a site about cutting.

The War Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #10
Sometimes Crazy
Left.

I agree with a LOT of your post, Abigail.

You don't hear people saying "Oh, I had to buy some new kitchen knives today and it really triggered me" offline, so why do we have it online? If anything, it makes people MORE sensitive and unable to cope with real life. Because we're going to encounter razors. We're going to encounter blood. Heaven forbid, we're going to have to cut vegetables and bread and all kinds of things!!

I'm not sure how to put it into words properly - but I do feel that it's making people more sensitive and when they see a certain word like razor or blade, they're going to automatically feel bad because "the internet says it will make you cut".

That was a poor explanation. I hope someone knows what I mean.

But I don't really think much can be done. It's one of those topics that go round and round in circles and end up being locked. No disrespect to you, and it's a really valid point you're making - there's just never (or not likely) gonna be a happy medium.

So you found a girl
That thinks really deep thoughts
What's so amazing
About really deep thoughts?

Sometimes Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:04 PM   #11
Rawrk

ohyay, its not only me who thinks they're stupid.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:04 PM   #12
ksdfjhlksajf

I do agree with this. The nature of certain forums on this site are triggering by nature. SI is a triggering subject.... so are EDs.... abuse....

I actually think that labels are better suited for topics not directly related to the forum, like an *ED* mention label for the SI forum, or visa versa. Also in broader forums, so people know what they are getting into. I wouldn't use that as a trigger label so much, but more informational (so if someone posts an SI related post in Mental Health, you could avoid opening it if you don't want to talk about SI that day).

However, I don't really get triggered by SI stuff, especially on the internet. It's more real life issues. ED stuff will trigger me (like calories in a day if it's lower than normal, BMI, weight and stuff) but those aren't allowed anyway.

The other thing is, in some forums, triggering labels are just meaningless. I use them because I'm afraid if I don't post it, it'll trigger someone else. But ANYTHING SI related in that board could potentially be considered anything. And if it isn't SI related, it would normally be in a different board.

Thank you for all of your help and support. I will no longer be coming to RYL. Semi-explanation will be inside my profile.

ksdfjhlksajf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:11 PM   #13
linder surprise
vs. elvis.

I am currently:

i only ever take notice of trigger warnings if i am looking for something particularly gruesome to read.

i think trigger warnings, all trigger warnings are unnecessary and stupid. i don't understand how it can help with recovery overall either.

take what you love
burn it down.

linder surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:13 PM   #14
Lou Lou
hell on high heels

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria Blossom View Post
If anything, it makes people MORE sensitive and unable to cope with real life.
This is exactly what I was coming back to say.

I guess it all comes back to the 'bubble wrap' thing. Everyone is over protected and whilst I can appreciate the need for it, it gets to an almost incomprehensible level.

It seems to me that some people are becoming obsessed with the little things (like words associated with self harm) rather than looking at the real triggers, the emotions and the reasons they want to cut. I know that I'm generalising but I believe that is the effect it is having.

Its good to be protected for a while but to be completely sheltered from it all isn't benefiting anyone and it's proving to be an issue amongst the community as a whole as people feel afraid to mention certain things in case they are accused of triggering or tip sharing.

I know RYL isn't real life and I know it's meant to be a safe place and all of that but you have to face facts and realise that real life is out there. This should surely be a place to accept the world as it is, but in a 'safer' way.
I'm not sure if that makes sense. Rather than being thrown to the wolves in the real world, this should be a place to ease you in? Maybe?

How likely is it that the rules will be relaxed to an extent. I mean, is it even possible to 'go backwards' as it were. Or is this a situation where individual members have to take more responsbility for themselves and accept that triggers are more than associated words?

When the world says give up
Hope whispers try one more time

Lou Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:49 PM   #15
flying[star]

I do think they're a bit mis used, especially in the SI section

i like more how it's set up in the ED board, but even then it's not perfect... not like any site is going to be. the mildly/severly triggering thing i like better..

SH threads CAN get graphic.. but isn't there a graphic lable for that? This place is intended to talk about this and not get flamed for it

i'm not sure how much i have to say about this.. or can say (lol. noobs telling y'all what to do)

there's my two cents..

flying[star] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:56 PM   #16
shadow-light
He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon

I am currently:

I hate the mildly/severely thing... it's far too subjective... I never know what to put...

I think the main issue with the trigger warnings is that theydo get over used...
but some people do get triggered in a competitive sense...

(will come back later getting into trouble for "loud typing")

shadow-light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:19 PM   #17
Beautifully Broken
Even The Best Fall Down Sometimes.

I agree with everything that's been said.
Trigger warnings are over used. I never looked at the warnings before reading a thread now because it should be expected on a self harm website that there will be some sort of mention of self harm along the way.
Nic.x

Beautifully Broken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:35 PM   #18
whirlpools

i disagree.

i'm pretty hard to trigger these days, which is through my own growth and development and work. but there were days when i was easily triggered.

i think the trigger warnings may be useful for some people, so why shouldn't they stay? some people may find them helpful if they are in recovery and are feeling particularly sensitive, other members may just be more sensitive generally. there's nothing wrong with keeping yourself safe by seeing a trigger warning and avoiding that post.

honest discussion does occur on RYL. perhaps not to the extent that some people want, but you can be honest and sensitive at the same time, considering the needs of everyone. people need to make their own steps and choices at their own speed.

i struggle to see how the trigger labels harm anyone.

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:43 PM   #19
shadow-light
He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon

I am currently:

i don't think they should be gotten rid of... they are useful to many people (including myself on some days)

but i do think they are over used... sometimes they are put on a thread just due to the mention of SI... I think that maybe there should be some guidelines or something to help people do decide whether to use one or not

shadow-light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:51 PM   #20
whirlpools

no, i did rather imply that everyone was saying they should be got rid of, wasn't i! sorry.

i just think it's strange how people think that trigger warnings overprotect people, or that people are "too sensitive". a lot of people have been through way worse things in their lives than having to worry about whether or not the word "blood" should be triggering. i find it almost patronising to imagine that RYL should become the place that teaches people to be less sensitive or more this or more that. people need to find that stuff out out there. i just don't know who any of us are to judge who is too sensitive.

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)