Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 12-09-2009, 02:33 AM   #1
Labyrinth
Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

I am currently:
Contains alcohol - Alcoholism Support Thread

I hope this thread is ok :]

Hello and welcome! This is a thread for people suffering from alcoholism. People who drink too much, feel they need it and crave it, have fmaily members with the same thing and you need support, you get the idea.

Anybody is welcome here but under no circumstances are you to glamorise alcohol or anything within the RYL rules and restrictions.

You can ask for support, give support, tell your story or just hang around until your ready to share. You are all welcome here!

Last edited by random.swirls : 27-04-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Labyrinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:34 AM   #2
Labyrinth
Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

I am currently:

To start off

I'm Kat and, since I turned 18, I've began drinking too much and now to excess, feeling I need it and actually crave it. I want to cry and get angry when I don't have it at night time. That's my thing though, I only drink after 7pm and without it feel lost.

My dad also died from it in 2005, which is sad.

I don't want to be like this forever and want to help others like me :]

Things could always be worse.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:45 AM   #3
squirrelspit

I am currently:

=]

its a brilliant start to a thread Kat.

I hope others find it helpful too. ill definitely link people to it. =]

squirrelspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
Zedebee
It's okay not to be okay

I am currently:

Great idea Kat =)

I'm sorry to hear about your dad and I hope you can get some help for yourself soon.

I'm Zed, hi *waves* I'm currently trying to stop drinking so that I can start psychotherapy but am not having much luck with it. The past few weeks I've been trying to only drink in the evenings but have slipped up a few times this week. I'm most probably going to be discharged from the alcohol team on Thursday 'cause it seems they can't help me. Need to do it myself really. Joys.

The only time you will find real light is when you're searching in the dark..

Zedebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #5
Labyrinth
Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

I am currently:

A good way to start stopping is to limit yourself, I think. And i'm so sorry about the alcohol team, I hope they don't discharge you, that's not right. They're there to help.

Everything takes time but I'm sure we can beat this <3

I drank a lot last night and feel bad 'cause of it >_<

Old 13-09-2009, 02:27 AM   #6
~ Bittersweet Memories ~

I am currently:

this probs won't belong here rly, coz its mainly positive, but wanted to share!!

hi im katy, since last year my drinking has deteriorated, i was drinking a shed load of booze everyday,i can't rly remember alot of it but it has affected me alot.using it to cope with emotions/feelings.

In april of this year i suffered the consequences of my actions and lost my driving license for 6 months,i wasn't caught drink driving though, however last month i was told by my doc to abstain for 4 weeks which was a struggle at first, it then got easier as it went on and my recent blood test just proved how hard i had worked. and i got the chance to re-apply for my license...im yet to hear though.

so on thursday i thought id celebrate,wrong choice to make though, as i decided on friday morning that id rather stay sober than get drunk. fair enough i still get the odd craving but i can beat it.

i don't want to get 10 years down the line and find that my health has suffered at the choices i made.

i can now start to look at therapy too, they wouldn't let me carry on knowing the amount i drank.

kat you're right, you can all do it, it just takes time

anyways thats my story, bit jumbled like.

~ Bittersweet Memories ~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 04:54 PM   #7
felix felicis
Beautiful, like a rainbow.

I am currently:

^ It's lovely to hear that you're starting to get your life back on track and that you did it on your own accord, that's really inspiring. You should be really proud of yourself.

soulmates.

felix felicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 05:07 PM   #8
Cryptic.
If at first you don't succeed, try try try again.

I am currently:

Hi.

So... I know all too well about alcohol... having an alcoholic mother who I quite frankly don't remember without alcohol being in the picture, a sister who drinks frequently, who is 19, and myself who is a binge drinker, BUT...
I have not binge drunk since last year, in December. =)

I had been a binge drinker since around the age of 13... I've been through a lot, and I still am going through a lot, I won't bore with details, but I'm going strong still, and haven't drank yet.

I get urges still... and being that I have easy access to a lot of the substance, it does make things harder, but I'm resisting it.

I guess the main problem right now regarding alcohol is the fact my mother drinks every night... and well... it hurts. She has, and still sometimes does, abuse me(mostly emotional, but she has in the past physically, both sober and not sober)... but it does hurt that she drinks... a lot... I've tried to get her help, tried to talk to her about it, but... nothing seems to help... or help her to help herself... so I dunno... She said in my therapy session she was cutting down... but she's proving the complete opposite...
Last night, she had drank not only wine, but also some vodka... which is worrying me because I'm worried it's getting worse... and the damage she's doing to herself (which is apparent)... =( We don't really have much of a relationship, we sometimes do get on, but well... we both have our difficulties so it doesn't last long at all.

Our relationship has been very impaired by the alcohol... and... well... I'm not sure what to do about it anymore... she has been to AA... she has tried... but she's back to square one...

I'm more like the mother to her... I have been since I was a lot younger... That has affected me greatly, my childhood was pretty much well... not really existent I s'pose...? Mmf.

My biological sperm donor("father") did have some problems with drinking too I think, but I no longer see him and haven't done so since 06, he's been abusive and has neglected me, I think he was a main reason why my mother started drinking when I was around 4, when they divorced... then it got worse over the years, and my nan passing away really set it off... quite a few things have gone on that have made it worse...

but aside from that, this is what is going on now.

So yeah...

*waves* I hope it is okay to post here, whether it's about myself or my mother??
xx

Last edited by Cryptic. : 14-09-2009 at 01:50 PM.

In a world where you can be anything, be yourself.

Cryptic. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #9
felix felicis
Beautiful, like a rainbow.

I am currently:

^ same boat.
i drink myself, but i also have two alcoholic parents. i see how angry they are with and without alcohol, and the way it effects my family & people around them.
it causes arguments and riffs bewteen the family and is extremely destructive.
but then again, i say this, but i drink too. hypocrite.

soulmates.

felix felicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 06:38 PM   #10
bobbiwibble
Just find the time and reach for the bright side

I am currently:

hi i think this is a really good idea for a thread.

i'm sorry to hear about your parents, guys :( my dad drinks too much but it's nowhere near as bad as that.

i'm having lots of problems with drinking at the moment. it ended up with me taking 10 out of my mums purse and walking for 45 minutes to find a 24-hour shop. Since then I think I've been doing better, I've still been drinking with friends but I'm taking it one step at a time and I'm not drinking before 5pm either.

xxx

heliotrope-lavender-candytuft-tulip-almond blossom-sycamore

Where do you turn when the night turns to singing
such sweet melodies and you flash your fin
then it's back to the depths where I cannot see you
but I built these towers just to honour you.....

bobbiwibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #11
RadioRockstar
AztecKingdom

I am currently:

Haii everyone.
I have a drink problem, not that I've ever admitted it to everyone. It's one of my secrets. I've been struggling with drink for two years now, and although I've told my GP he struggles to help me with it. I haven't been drinking as much lately because I've ran out of money, but I fear it's going to get bad again.
If anyone needs to talk then just PM me :)
Take care,
Luciana xoxox

I am happy to report, that you're my last resort.

RadioRockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 12:32 AM   #12
Autumns Grey Solace

I am currently:

Well I currently have several cuts across my hand where my friend slammed my hand in a door last night, which to be honest I kind of deserved.
Its only the 13th and I'm already overdrawn. I'm not even enjoying drinking right now it just makes me unpleasent to be around and quite the asshole.
I really need to quit but I've said that so many times I don't even believe it for a second.

I tried, I gave up.

Autumns Grey Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 04:21 AM   #13
bobbiwibble
Just find the time and reach for the bright side

I am currently:

knowing you need to quit is different to being able to :)
at the moment i'm just smoking double to stop myself drinking so much but obviously that isnt ideal!
I feel your pain - I'm overdrawn!! I only needed to wait 2 more days MAX until I had money in my bank account but I could.. just one bottle of wine but that 1.22OD is soo disheartening

heliotrope-lavender-candytuft-tulip-almond blossom-sycamore

Where do you turn when the night turns to singing
such sweet melodies and you flash your fin
then it's back to the depths where I cannot see you
but I built these towers just to honour you.....

bobbiwibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 04:38 PM   #14
Labyrinth
Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

I am currently:

I'm still failing to quit drinking :< I drink over four cans a night. I used to drink cause I liked it, now I drink to get drunk and cause I feel I need it.

Old 15-09-2009, 03:49 AM   #15
-Asphyxia-
-loser-

I am currently:

Kat, good idea for a thread.

I can kind of relate to everyone with relatives who are/have been heavy drinkers. None of my parents were heavy drinkers, but alcoholism and substance abuse runs in my mom's side for sure, and I wouldn't be surprised if my dad's brother has had a drinking problem (his mother as of late, too). My Maternal Grandmother (and maybe Grandfather?) were alcoholics, and at least 2 of my mother's brothers - one is, and one was.

I think I got the bad genes...I don't drink every day, but I drink for the wrong reasons and could probably be classified as a "binge drinker." I have gone through a lot of personal and family stuff the past few years, and I think my drinking has definately escalated...especially in the last 6 months. For awhile, I was going out alone (I am female), and not recalling how I walked home....But now I am past that and have kept it in check. I've been trying to reserve drinking for the weekends only, and have tried to not keep alcohol at home.

*shrug*

Compared to a few weeks ago, I am doing better. Sometimes I get cravings in the evening....Mostly due to boredom and lonliness (I live alone too.) It's difficult b/c I live in a college town w/a *huge* drinking culture...There's like, 3 bars on every block and 3 liquor stores within a few blocks of my apartment.

Blah. Sorry this was so long...

-poisonous-

-Asphyxia- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #16
Zedebee
It's okay not to be okay

I am currently:

It's interesting to see how it affects the relatives of people that abuse alcohol, it sounds pretty tough *hugs for all*

My family don't have a clue that I drink (don't ask me how they don't know, I must just be very good at hiding). The alcohol team have made 2 suggestions to help me but both can't be done because my parents don't know. He suggested going inpatient for a week or so, which I think is the best way to go about it, but that would require telling my parents, which I can't do for reasons. So I don't really know what to do anymore except just keep drinking as I am...

The only time you will find real light is when you're searching in the dark..

Zedebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #17
Cryptic.

I am currently:

My mother is getting worse at drinking, and her capacity to be a mother to me... like always then. ;//
Really struggling as it is... and her being like this isn't helping.
Not sure what to do anymore about this... tried, tried, tried, and failed.

Old 16-09-2009, 06:30 PM   #18
Heidi Tiger
Loon NOS

I am currently:

Sarey have you heard of Alateen? It's basically al-anon for young people, so support for those affected by alcoholism in their family and friends. They also run family groups. I know you aren't very well at the moment so even if their was a group within a reasonable distance attending it may not be an option for you, but it looks like they have some really good literature on their website that may be helpful:
http://www.al-anonuk.org.uk/shop/ind...20932011_.html
Both my parents have gone through stages of drinking far too much when I was younger so I know to an extent how it feels (although obviously everyone's situation is different). I guess I just tried to communicate just how much it was distressing to me and used other people (friends/teachers/trusted adults etc.) to talk about things and otherwise just put up with it. However I know now a lot of the problems I have nowadays are related to my parents (though not totally their drinking) so I do hope you manage to find some support that works for you or that your mum manages to cut back on her drinking.

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination

Heidi Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 08:29 PM   #19
Cryptic.

I am currently:

Thank you Heidi, I will take a look.

Old 17-09-2009, 02:52 AM   #20
Katiee
It's full of lonely.

I am currently:

Great threaddd :D xx

<3.

Katiee is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)