Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 21-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:
OCD and library books

I have OCD. If I touch something I think is dirty I have to be able to use alcohol gel or wash my hands.

I have got some book out the library at Uni and I'm too scared to touch them because I know that lOads of other people have touched them with out washing their hands.
It makes me feel really anxious.
I need to read the book for my seminar but I can't touch them.

Anyone have similar experiences?
Any tips for making it a bit easier?

The average,
well-adjusted adult
gets up at 7.30am feeling just plain terrible.

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Ballerina123 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Hugs Given By :
Old 21-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
FabulousMike
Proud Union Activist.

I am currently:

Gloves, gloves make everything better..

FabulousMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
PassedExpectations
a mirror that reflects it

I am currently:

in the long run... to get over the fear you need to touch the books over and over, without doing any compulsions (gloves, washing hands, hand sanitizer, holding it with tissues, thinking things to make the anxiety lower). it will feel very uncomfortable, but the only way to make the fear go away is to face it many times and teach your body and mind not to react to it... you've got to sit with the anxiety, and not fight it. it is like a wave, you've got to ride it all the way up to its peak and then back down. doing a compulsion or ritual is like an escape hatch part way up. its really tempting to take. the only problem is that it sends you back to where you started, still having to face that wave, instead of being at the bottom on the other side. if you face the fear over and over, the peak will get lower and lower...

this is my magical medicine cabinet. Left to right they contain: courage, hope, calmness, and strength.

The magical part: They NEVER run out, so borrow some any time you want.

PM me anytime, I love getting messages :)
Katie

PassedExpectations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
ChocolateMarvel

I am currently:

I think in the long term, Katie is right and desensitising yourself to it would be for the best. However if in the short term you do need to use gloves or sanitiser in order to do the work on time that is ok!

:heart:

ChocolateMarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
Stellata

I work in a library, and, whilst I don't have those kind of difficulties as such, I do find that making sure I don't touch my face in any way or eat anything without having first washed my hands is good common sense, and tends to work for me. [Yes, I have a virus at the moment, but I didn't catch it from library books!]

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #6
missloraamy
There is more to life than increasing it's speed

I am currently:

Ugh i have this issue! Except i'm also torn between loving the smell of old books. So i want to smell them, but not touch them lmao.
The worst for me are the ones in a plastic sleeve, especially when they've yellowed at the corners, ICK!!

Anyway, just keep telling yourself that the likeliness of catching something from a library book is pretty damn slim, and that if the books were "dirty", they wouldn't be out for public consumption.

I only visit RYL once or twice a year - see my profile for other ways to contact me xox

"I figured out it was a social thing, what women were allowed to do. At a very young age, I decided I was not going to follow women`s rules."

missloraamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #7
tilly_bear

Obviously this a short term mesure, but i know my uni library has a lot of books online as ebooks (especially core textbooks due to high demand)?
Also to limit contact with the book maybe photocopying set pages you need would help?

tilly_bear is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)