RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 06-09-2014, 08:28 PM   #1
Aubergine
You've got this.

I am currently:
Rats

Thinking of keeping rats. I understand you should always have more than one, as they are social. Any advice from experienced owners? Any good websites? I'm hoping to get them from a breeder, as I don't trust Pets at Home...

“Our defeats are softened and our victories are sweetened because we did it together.” - Toby Ziegler.

This isn't everything you are.

Aubergine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #2
Aubergine
You've got this.

I am currently:

Yes, currently IP, so wouldn't be getting any until I'm feeling tip top, but thought I'd put the question out there.

“Our defeats are softened and our victories are sweetened because we did it together.” - Toby Ziegler.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:24 PM   #3
strangecharm

I have 3 male rats, all nearly a year old now. It is recommended you get more than one because they love the company but you can get one individual if you have the time to spend with them every day (WARNING: tey can become overly attached and neurotic with one). One thing I can definitely recommend is setting up a play area or rat proofing a room or something as they require a lot of exercise and exploration time. Also, recommend as much time as you can manage handling them every day. They really are social creatures and very loving. Clumsy though :P

You have to be careful with food for them though. They will get basic nutrients from rat nuggets and stuff but giving them treats is a good idea too. Rats can eat just about anything (including chocolate in small amounts) but certain foods can cause cancer in different sexed rats. I can't give mine oranges for example. Bread and peanut butter can both cause choking as they really don't understand chewing sometimes.

Different sites are useful for different things, some have conflicting advice tbh. I think when I'm looking for advice on things, I check more than one site and check to see if they match up but then I'm getting more confident with mine.

If you have any specific questions, I will gladly answer

strangecharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:29 PM   #4
whoknows

I am currently:

Hi Aubergine,

I love rats too. Have had 12 of them altogether (but not at one time!!!! Lol. I had a group of 2, 4 then 6), but i don't keep them now as my hours at work are just too many, to give them the amount of attention they need.......and deserve!!! It is not recommended that you get just a single rat because they really are social creatures and no amount of attention you give them during the day can compensate for the hours they would be on their own (they are nocturnal too so are most active when you're tucked in bed, so if they are alone..........��).

Also, be creative. Make their cage as large as you can and fill it with interesting things for them to use; hammocks, tunnels ladders, etc. Some things can be made at home (i.e. hammocks) if you are careful but remember that rats chew so don't give them any painted 'toys' as the paint will be toxic, or anything that could have sharp or jagged edges (common sense stuff really).

As for websites; try this one:

http://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwel...s/rodents/rats

Hope that helps.

whoknows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:54 AM   #5
KuttingEdge

There was a sign posted in my neighborhood last week (it's down now) that someone had "baby rats for sale $5" and it was sooo tempting. I bet they're cute.
But you can't just impulse buy a living creature.
And my cat takes up all the time that I'm not at school or work.
*sigh*
So, no rats for me.

KuttingEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:27 AM   #6
Scumbelina

I am currently:

I've been keeping rats for 8 years, I've had over 30 (most at once was 12) I currently have 4.

They are very rewarding pets, really friendly & intelligent & fun. I've only ever had girls & a couple of neutered boys (already neutered from other people) My first few were from a pet shop, but since learning about 'rodent farms' I've only had rescues & 2 from a breeder.

I would suggest getting your first rats from a reputable breeder, where they will have been handled from birth & less likely to develop health problems.
The main issue with rats is that they have really sensitive respiratory systems, but this can be less of an issue with good genetics so find a breeder registered with NFRS (National Fancy Rat Society) So many of my rats have died from respiratory disease that my vet joked that I should have Baytril (small animal anti-biotic) on tap! Mammary tumours have also killed a lot of mine, poor things.
This is due to poor breeding (rodent farms which supply pet shops) & because most of them have come from poor environments where they've been neglected & had incorrect bedding/diet.

Do you know if you want boys or girls? Girls are a bit more active. Boys tend to be more 'cuddly' but I hate the smell of un-nuetered boy rats & the fact they have balls! My neutered boys have been on my favourites list :) sshhh, don't tell them I favourites!

You're right not to trust Pets at Home. I have known their staff to give out completely false information & being a complete rat nerd this infuriates me. They sell some cool stuff, just wish they didn't sell animals.

http://www.fancyratsforum.co.uk

This website is excellent. I used to spend hours & hours on it! i particularly like the 'habitat' section because it has cage layout ideas, which I think is one of the most fun parts. I dread to think how much money I've spent on cages, hammocks, tunnels, shelves, ladders, but it doesn't have to be expensive, mine have always been into pretty much anything - especially anything edible :)

Scumbelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:28 AM   #7
Scumbelina

I am currently:

PS: Any questions, just ask. Or PM :)

Old 12-09-2014, 10:17 PM   #8
Isoverity

I am currently:

Yesterday I read a news story about a kid who had a pet rat die so he fastened it to a mini-drone and flew it around!

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 10:38 PM   #9
Scumbelina

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoverity View Post
Yesterday I read a news story about a kid who had a pet rat die so he fastened it to a mini-drone and flew it around!
That was in a documentary this week called 'All Creatures Great and Stuffed'

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/a...at-and-stuffed

Old 25-09-2014, 08:01 PM   #10
UnanimousAnonymous

I am currently:

i just lost my two ratties last week.
my boys were awesome, just like little dogs. they are really intelligent, can be trick trained and love attention. brilliant little pets. i had both mine put to sleep together (they were 2yrs) as i didn't want one left alone and pining for the other. they both had issues, one had a respiratory issue which he coped with but my other one got a brain tumour so i thought it was best to have both done at the same time.
i would always have 2 or more as they are highly social animals.

UnanimousAnonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 09:17 PM   #11
Enthused
In a warm place

I am currently:

If you get a pet rat you need 4 turtles to go with him.

Enthused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 03:47 PM   #12
betterborges

my brother used to keep rats....they're lovely animals to keep..quite clean and intelligent

betterborges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 02:26 PM   #13
Isoverity

I am currently:

Lots of rat stuff in our news this week..

"Study reveals rats in NYC carry variety of infectious bacteria"

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.1974415

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 02:27 AM   #14
Aubergine
You've got this.

I am currently:

Hello. Me again.

I've thought about this long and hard, and have been since coming out of IP. I've just bought a beautiful two tiered cage, which I'm picking up on Saturday, and I've made contact with someone who's been breeding rats for nine years. I'm going to be going to hers on Saturday afternoon to get two little female dumbo ratties. :)

Going to get some accessories (hammocks etc) from the local, independent pet supplies shop and go from there!

Thank you for all of the advice. It's been really helpful. I may well take you up on that PM offer, Scumbelina! :)

No turtles, unfortunately... ;)

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)